Havanese Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Valentino's Mom, Vicki
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the proper way to measure your hav's height? From where to where? Thanks! Vicki

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Vicki,
You need a tool they call a "wicket". If you don't have one, you can stand the dog on a table or counter, hold a ruler on end and "eyeball" the height from the bottom where the dog is standing to the top of the shoulders. The ruler would be placed basically parallel to one of the front legs.

·
Valentino's Mom, Vicki
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kathy...I read somewhere to measure from the "withers" and I had no clue what that was! Never heard of a wicket and don't have one so I will try the ruler! What is the standard for height?? Thanks! Vicki

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Vicki,
The "withers" are the shoulders. The AKC standard written and approved by HCA, says that Havanese should be 8 1/2 - 11 1/2 inches high. There is not a weight in our standard. Now, these are heights to be able to be shown, Havanese can be smaller or larger then that.

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,363 Posts
I am completely useless at measuring!!! Every time I do, I get a different height!!!! Anywhere from 10 1/2 to 11 1/2. I give up, since my dog is not a show dog it really doesn't matter. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
It really takes two people. One to stack the dog and the other to measure. We use the little travel wicket but taped on a "line level" to the horizontal piece. We measure all sorts of things. Height, length, shoulder layback, hock height, stifle height, elbow height, rise, etc.,etc. for dogs that we plan on keeping and some things on all puppies at their 8 week evaluation.

·
Valentino's Mom, Vicki
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could I get an interpretaion please on some of those terms you used Tom? I am a hav standard novice!:confused: :eek: thanks! Vicki

1 - 8 of 8 Posts