Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Linda
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious...

Dexter is just a little over a year and his tail hair has never been trimmed and was wondering if this is the length his body hair would of been if never clipped.

Dexter lovely tail plume now measures 6 inches long. I am thinking the tail hair grows slower than the body hair, what do you think?

·
Metrowest, MA
27,627 Posts
After what seemed to me to be a slow start in comparison to his body hair, Kodi's tail hair is now about 5 1/2" at 7 1/2 months. His body hair grew faster earlier, but that's about 5 1/2" now too, and has never been cut. His ear hair has grown the slowest... that hangs down about 2 1/2" below his ears.

All measurements are subject to error on a wiggly puppy who wanted to sniff the ruler!<g>

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Ok, ladies...before I measure... are we talking total tail? LOL, ie. tail and hair growth? or Just Tail? or Just Hair? Because I bet my Cash's tail is a foot long!

·
Metrowest, MA
27,627 Posts
Ok, ladies...before I measure... are we talking total tail? LOL, ie. tail and hair growth? or Just Tail? or Just Hair? Because I bet my Cash's tail is a foot long!
I assumed she was talking about just the hair... Kodi's TAIL is much longer than that, but it's so curly (not to mention waggly) I probably couldn't measure it!

As far as Cash's tail is concerned, I'd take bets that he would get the prize for sheer QUANTITY of tail hair on the forum!!!

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
LOL Karen. I remember that picture you took of his tail at the Play date!!! he does have a magnificent tail!!! As a puppy, before he got longer than he was tall...his tail either dragged on the floor or on the rare occassion it was up it took up his whole back. we called him our little skunk puppy. But also, his actual Tail (not fur) is much longer and wider than Jasper's.... Have you ever wondered why we don't analyze our husbands or children with this degree of detail? CDL's unite.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,627 Posts
LOL Karen. I remember that picture you took of his tail at the Play date!!! he does have a magnificent tail!!! As a puppy, before he got longer than he was tall...his tail either dragged on the floor or on the rare occassion it was up it took up his whole back. we called him our little skunk puppy. But also, his actual Tail (not fur) is much longer and wider than Jasper's....
I wonder if that's why he doesn't carry it up as much as other Havs... It's just a lot heavier!

Have you ever wondered why we don't analyze our husbands or children with this degree of detail?
They probably wouldn't stand up to the scrutiny!!!:pound:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Have you ever wondered why we don't analyze our husbands or children with this degree of detail? CDL's unite.
I don't think dh would appreciate me starting a thread on how bald is your husband....or who's dh is the chubbiest....:bolt:

·
Registered
8,941 Posts

·
Kubrick & Hitchcock's Mom
7,774 Posts
Hitchcock is 13 months old and his tail hair is 8.5" long. Kubrick is 2.5 years old and his tail hair is 7" long. He has a few stray hairs that are around 8" long but most of them are 7". I really think that tail hair growth is very much correlated to actual hair growth on the body. Neither of my boys have ever been cut and though Hitch is much younger he has a TON more hair at a much younger age is already a bit longer than Kubrick's (by almost an inch). So it doesn't surprise me that his tail hair is longer either. I don't think you can judge tail hair length by age or be able to predict it either.... it's very much dependent on each dog.

I don't think tail hair would grow that much slower than body hair... I don't see why it would?

·
Amanda
9,576 Posts
Dora is turning 5 next month and she has some pieces that are as long as 11 inches but most is between 8-10. That is one area that Dash has really left alone and I have never cut. Dora has an amazing coat without much breakage unlike Dash and Belle and she is out in the woods with them and I brush and bath her less cause of her coat! She has a pavement line and with me back in school and being busy, I would say it is getting thinner but she is still pretty full coat. Here is a cool picture I just got of Dora at the agility trial she received her novice standard title at and it shows how pretty her tail and the rest of her is ;)

I would agree with Lina that is more the type of coat than tail v. body. However, Dash has a lot more breakage on his belly and his tail is longer.

·
Tori's mom
4,988 Posts
Look at beautiful Dora! If Tori's coat was like Dora's I'd never trim or cut it. Unfortunately, it's not :( I've trimmed her all over (tail included) a couple of times. Currently, at 2.5 yrs. old and after trimming it, her tail hair only measures 6.5 inches. I wonder how long it would have been now if I'd left it alone???

·
Registered
309 Posts
Dora is SOOO pretty! I just love that pic of her...you can see the concentration on her face - so cute!

Lola is 6 months....so I'm still waiting for her tail fur to grow in. Right now its about 3.5". Her tail only curls up when she's playing or really happy. When she walks its almost straight up with a slight curl to the tip. And when she's relaxed or scared its down. Wonder if it will eventually curl or if she has a "lazy tail" that I've read about on the forum?

·
Zeus and Riley's Mom
1,105 Posts
After almost 2 years, I had Riley's tail trimmed a bit. I just measured the little wiggle worm and it's still 8". He's does have a really cute tail...:)
(But don't they all!)

·
Metrowest, MA
27,627 Posts
Dora is SOOO pretty! I just love that pic of her...you can see the concentration on her face - so cute!

Lola is 6 months....so I'm still waiting for her tail fur to grow in. Right now its about 3.5". Her tail only curls up when she's playing or really happy. When she walks its almost straight up with a slight curl to the tip. And when she's relaxed or scared its down. Wonder if it will eventually curl or if she has a "lazy tail" that I've read about on the forum?
Kodi has always carried his tail up, but his was pretty scraggly for a long time too. It seemed to grow much faster between 6-8 months.

·
Tucker 2007-2020
6,309 Posts
Love Dora's picture!!!

Tucker's tail also has some hair 11 inches long, with the main bulk of it being 8-10 inches. He's 2yrs 10mo.

This photo is the best I could find to show his tail...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts