Havanese Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Metrowest, MA
29,451 Posts
LOL! I thought I was doing well trying to count the tangle of puppies on the cot (even that isn't totally obvious!), and then I scrolled down and saw the blue thing full of puppies and gave up! LOL!

Reactions: Melissa Brill

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
I wish I could fit in there!

I’m curious, when you have two or more litters that are somewhat close in age, how does it impact the puppies in those litters? Or do they not spend much time together?

·
Metrowest, MA
29,451 Posts
I can’t imagine that the extra socialization could be anything but a net gain as the puppies learn from playing and getting along with each other, AND practice being separated and reunited.

·
Premium Member
3,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They play together, out on that screened porch, and also run loose in the house with the pack of adult Havanese, and us.

We like for them to sleep some out there on the porch, with helicopters, and airplanes going over, wind blowing sometimes, all sorts of boat motors on the lake, and other things. That's too large of an area for them to wake up in, though, and expect them to find a litter box, so they're carried back in to finish sleeping in their sleeping pens.

When I reached in that blue thing to get them out of that pile, it was amazing how warm they were.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,451 Posts
We started the first two, who will be leaving, in crates last night. We start them three days before they go home. The two last night did Perfectly!!
I found it SO helpful that my puppies from you were crate trained (Panda was too) that I made it a priority for my puppies too. I think it helps the new owners a lot, and it helps little puppies have a more gentle transition into their new home as well!

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
Seeing the different ages of puppies all asleep at the same time made me wonder if the very young puppies are more settled when they spend time with slightly older puppies in addition to their littermates. It seems like they would play harder and sleep well and get the idea of potty training and everything even better. But of course they can learn those things from adult dogs, too, and manners. Do you notice a difference in dynamics when the litters are close in age?

·
Premium Member
3,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There may be a little difference. They don't really get the litter box training good until about 7-8 weeks in a familiar, large area. They definitely learn from the older ones, but there is a limit to what notice their body gives them, at different ages.

They're better at following the adults' leads, than puppies a week or two older. It's all fun, and games when they're little, but the adults will keep them in line.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It looks like to me there are 11 or 12 pups but they're all beautiful I wish I could lay down and have all 12 just lying on top of me and around me I'm such an animal lover that I just wish I could have them all and take good care of them but for now I got to go with just one when that's available I'm very much a animal lover of all animals but dogs I have had all life and each one that passes on really h u r t s your stomach and heart but giving these animals hey home is great and wonderful and the pleasure that they give to you!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts