Havanese Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
I must be under feeding. I give Paige & Rom 3 medallions each in the AM & two in the PM-T gets 1 oz kibble & 1 oz green beans AM & 1 1/2 oz kibble & 1 oz green bean in the PM-they do get snacks so I guess they are not hurting.

Pat

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Rosie eats like a hound. I don't give her veggies except those few bites on my plate. Yeah I let her lick the plate--saves on dishwashing. She gets a berry bowl full of kibble every day in the morning I fill it up. She will stand there and eat if she if real hungry as long as I am in the kitchen with her. Then she will eat bites all through the day bringing the bites into the room where we are. So now I have her two bowls, one in the kitchen and one upstairs, so she can eat with us. Every meal I give her bites of my food if I am eating something suitable. Sometimes it is just the crust from the bread and I do make her wait until I am done. Last night we had shrimp and baked potato. I didn't give her anything so she went to her food bowl and ate. All of her treats are meat or carrots. I rather DH always cooks Rosie an extra pork chop or steak. Then we cut into bite size pieces and give it to her throughout the day or when we are eating something that she can't. Yesterday we had pimento cheese sandwiches and Rosie had steak. She weighs 9.5 pounds.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Abby gets a level 1/4 cup twice a day and she gets a treat when McGee does business outside! Abby is 4 and weighs about 8 lbs.

McGee gets a heaping 1/4 twice a day plus his treats for going potty outside. He is 8 1/2 mos. and weighs between 10 & 11 lbs. He is a chowhound but Abby is not and skips food once in a while. McGee gobbles his immediately! He used to bang his bowl around after he finished but we put it up - now we can leave it down and he doesn't bang it so I guess he's getting enough! We give him little bites of apple when we eat one but Abby doesn't like it so she just ignores it. BTW, we feed Abby up on the window seat that McGee can't jump on so he can't steal her food. They are both on TOTW Roasted Bison. They both seem to like it better than BB.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Daisy is two and a half. She is not the best eater in the world and is more interested in what I am eating then her kibbles. I give her 1/4 cup in the am and 1/4 in pm. Sometimes she will skip a meal and just eat the next morning. The 1/4 is not overflowing and sometimes I sprinkle shredded cheese in there or about 1 tablespoon of last nights meat leftovers. She does not get that much excercise during the day. Short walk in the am and about 1/2 walk after work.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I sometimes feel that I need to explain myself, especially to the young dog owners. I grew up in a time before dog food and the first was canned. Dogs lived off of the table scraps. All plates were raked into one and that was given to the dog. So I feed Rosie a good quality kibble, but let her have tablescraps also. As long as she eats her kibble and her BM is firm. Mostly she gets meat scraps with the fat trimmed off and some veggies. In other words people food won't kill them and is probably a lot better for them than the dog food manufacturers want to admit. So of our forum members cook a special food for their dogs. I just do it another way.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,243 Posts
I sometimes feel that I need to explain myself, especially to the young dog owners. I grew up in a time before dog food and the first was canned. Dogs lived off of the table scraps. All plates were raked into one and that was given to the dog. So I feed Rosie a good quality kibble, but let her have tablescraps also. As long as she eats her kibble and her BM is firm. Mostly she gets meat scraps with the fat trimmed off and some veggies. In other words people food won't kill them and is probably a lot better for them than the dog food manufacturers want to admit. So of our forum members cook a special food for their dogs. I just do it another way.
Absolutely, Lucile! Dogs have evolved right beside humans for EONS before "dog food" was invented. As long as the fat is removed and there's not too much salt in the food (and of course in times long past, fat and salt were precious commodities!) there is no reason dogs can't eat "table scraps". (we call them "left-overs" here, and I feed them to my kids and DH too!:biggrin1:) Like you, we don't feed Kodi "people food while WE are at the table eating, but he definitely gets left-overs from time to time, and USUALLY gets to "pre-wash dishes. (unless there is something on them that will get stuck in his ears and moustache and dragged around the house!:biggrin1:)

I think it's rather funny that some people are scandalized by the idea of dogs eating "table scraps", and others, like Tammy, feed nothing BUT"people food" to their dogs!:pound:

·
Elissa's and Ceylon's Mom
965 Posts
Absolutely, Lucile! Dogs have evolved right beside humans for EONS before "dog food" was invented. As long as the fat is removed and there's not too much salt in the food (and of course in times long past, fat and salt were precious commodities!) there is no reason dogs can't eat "table scraps". (we call them "left-overs" here, and I feed them to my kids and DH too!:biggrin1:) Like you, we don't feed Kodi "people food while WE are at the table eating, but he definitely gets left-overs from time to time, and USUALLY gets to "pre-wash dishes. (unless there is something on them that will get stuck in his ears and moustache and dragged around the house!:biggrin1:)

I think it's rather funny that some people are scandalized by the idea of dogs eating "table scraps", and others, like Tammy, feed nothing BUT"people food" to their dogs!:pound:
Cey's favorite, highest-quality treats are people food - scraps of meat, or cheese cubes or such. We never feed him people food while we are eating, mainly because I was 100% determined not to raise a dog that would be a 'beggar' :), but, he gets people-food treats after baths, during particularly long grooming sessions, etc. I myself would be too worried about getting his nutritional needs right to feed him people food as a regular staple in his diet but I for one see nothing wrong with it, as long as like you said, care is taken to reduce the amount of salt, fat, preservatives, etc!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I promise this is my last post on this topic. I think I have probably told this before to some of you. The way to get rid of unwanted company or to discourage those that drop in at meal times is to let the dog lick the plate declare it clean, then put it in the cabinet. The company won't come back. Just try to remember where in the cabinet you placed it.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,243 Posts
Cey's favorite, highest-quality treats are people food - scraps of meat, or cheese cubes or such. We never feed him people food while we are eating, mainly because I was 100% determined not to raise a dog that would be a 'beggar' :), but, he gets people-food treats after baths, during particularly long grooming sessions, etc. I myself would be too worried about getting his nutritional needs right to feed him people food as a regular staple in his diet but I for one see nothing wrong with it, as long as like you said, care is taken to reduce the amount of salt, fat, preservatives, etc!
Actually, it's hard to get it wrong if the "people food" you are adding is protein. Many to most commercial dog foods don't have enough.

·
Elissa's and Ceylon's Mom
965 Posts
Actually, it's hard to get it wrong if the "people food" you are adding is protein. Many to most commercial dog foods don't have enough.
That's why I was feeding Cey Orijin puppy formula (40% crude protein/20% crude fat, grain-free) and now that I am transitioning him to all-stages kibble, I chose a 34% crude protein, 18% crude fat, also grain-free brand (Canidae Pure Elements)... all the people-food treats he gets are pretty much pure protein as well, and, I might start giving him eggs once in a while :). Because Ceylon doesn't have any allergies I also chose kibble whose protein comes from a variety of sources.

My daughter is very athletic and I make sure she eats plenty of protein as well - - we are a very carnivorous household :)

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
ha ha ha ha Lucille... that is AWESOME (having the dog lick the plates clean in front of guests!!!)
oh and yes, Tillie does eat all 'human' food ... just made and balanced specially for her... my husband is totally correct when he says Tillie is the healthiest, best fed creature in our household!! LOL maybe because she doesn't COMPLAIN or REFUSE what I give her like my kids do! ;) Homecooking isn't for everyone.. heck I never in a BILLION years would think I would be doing it. But, we do what we have to to keep those we love healthy!! :)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Love the plate thing, Lucile. I feed my dogs kibble and a spoonful of canned dog food. My husband puts his plate down for the dogs to lick if we don't have something spicy. In the summer, if I'm snapping green beans, the dogs beg and I give them some of the snaps. For bait in the ring, or training, I usually use meat. Oliver loves bacon and Tyson's roast chicken. I have some pieces of cut up steak to use for training tomorrow.

·
"I AM the Brute Squad"
2,204 Posts
Cool! That feels very close to "right"! I probably have boney-er than the average person due to my RA, but it's not TOO far from what Kodi's ribs feel like, and the vet calls him "healthy-lean"
Well, I finally dragged Jack in for his annual check-up. The doc pronounced him "healthy-lean", too! She was pleased with his weight of 17 lbs. :D and doesn't want him to weigh anymore than that. We have to keep him skinny because he has his wonky leg. Any extra weight would be bad for it.

Jack eats a lot more than most but he is on the big-boned side of the spectrum. I feed him 1/2 cup of TOTW AM and PM.

I would say that the description of using your knuckles as a guide is spot-on.

·
Linda
5,409 Posts
The other morning Jack did not feel like eating, so Dexter finished off Jack's bowl. Dexter did not eat that night. Jack ate his normal amount of food, but when he found out that Dexter was not going to eat his food....Jack started on Dexter's. Jack did not get much because he soon stopped eating.

Both of the boys are back to their usual eating habits..

·
Linda
5,409 Posts
Oh! The curly tendons are found at PetSmart, they can eat them. They do smell at times. We saw the tendons in half and are given when Dexter needs more food. The tendons are there... I think most people call them flossies. They are expensive...cost a little under $5.00 a piece, which is why we cut them in half.

·
Flynn of Sir Winston fame
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Oh! The curly tendons are found at PetSmart, they can eat them. They do smell at times. We saw the tendons in half and are given when Dexter needs more food. The tendons are there... I think most people call them flossies. They are expensive...cost a little under $5.00 a piece, which is why we cut them in half.
Thanks, I will try again!!!

·
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Rosie eats like a hound. I don't give her veggies except those few bites on my plate. Yeah I let her lick the plate--saves on dishwashing. She gets a berry bowl full of kibble every day in the morning I fill it up. She will stand there and eat if she if real hungry as long as I am in the kitchen with her. Then she will eat bites all through the day bringing the bites into the room where we are. So now I have her two bowls, one in the kitchen and one upstairs, so she can eat with us. Every meal I give her bites of my food if I am eating something suitable. Sometimes it is just the crust from the bread and I do make her wait until I am done. Last night we had shrimp and baked potato. I didn't give her anything so she went to her food bowl and ate. All of her treats are meat or carrots. I rather DH always cooks Rosie an extra pork chop or steak. Then we cut into bite size pieces and give it to her throughout the day or when we are eating something that she can't. Yesterday we had pimento cheese sandwiches and Rosie had steak. She weighs 9.5 pounds.
Oh me, if I did that mine would be fat as little pigs, they will not stop eating..SW was good until LM came along, now he eats everything!..and now I have one cat who wants everything the dogs get..When I am giving them a treat, I make them sit for it, and the cat gets right in the middle and sits, waiting for her treat too...

·
Metrowest, MA
27,243 Posts
Oh me, if I did that mine would be fat as little pigs, they will not stop eating..SW was good until LM came along, now he eats everything!..and now I have one cat who wants everything the dogs get..When I am giving them a treat, I make them sit for it, and the cat gets right in the middle and sits, waiting for her treat too...
Too cute!!! We need a PICTURE of that!!!

·
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Too cute!!! We need a PICTURE of that!!!
Wish I had someone here to take photos, I will try to get it...it is Sequoia my cat who resents them being next to me on the couch. She gets right in the middle of anything I am trying to do with the dogs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is all good info to know. Thanks for sharing all :)
My Trixie is about 17 lbs .... and not really a food motivated gal. I have to literally "make" her eat sometimes. I don't feed her commercial dog food, I home-make her food every couple of weeks and freeze it into 3 day portions. I used a variety of vegetables, fruits, quinoa & protein sources (including organ meats), & rotate the protein sources regularly. And always feed her a base of pureed roasted pumpkin with a smattering of ginger, for her digestion. She gets quite a bit of exercise, ... long walks / hikes / runs (about an hour or more each time) ... and playing with dog friends. We also practice agility jumps when we feel like it. I give her about a 1/2 of cup of food around 1 or 2 pm .... and the same amount around 7 or 8 pm. Can't get her to eat earlier. Sometimes she only wants to eat once a day. She's not a normal dog, in that she'll only eat when she is actually hungry. Even with treats. If she is not hungry,...she's just hoard the treat and hide it somewhere. And even though she doesn't want to eat twice a day, I try to make her, ... or even 3 times a day (smaller portions, though), 'cause it's better for her digestion and in not allowing gas & acids to build up in her stomach. I don't do very many treats at all unless we are training, or practicing our training. She only rarely eats kibble.... it's left out for her all of the time,... but she's not interested in it,.. and even when she is... lol,... she eats it one piece at a time,.. chewing each piece thoroughly,.. and only eats a very small amount. For that she's got Orijen, red meat formula. I like that one. (no grain, to my understanding.) I found that cooking the dog's food was not only fresher and better for the dog, but it's actually cheaper, (than the commercial foods that I was buying.) Well anyway,.. that's what we do. (for now, at least.)
I also give her a probiotic enzyme, vitamins, omegas & greens powdered supplement ... and ground eggshells for calcium. She seems healthy. She's two years old.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts