Votes: 1 3.0%
  • As needed, it varies greatly

Votes: 3 9.1%
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Arf! Arf! Super Moderator
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The current discussions about the frequency of baths for Havanese has prompted me to create this survey. I find it an interesting discussion.

You will be allowed to vote more than once for those that have multiple Havanese. Maybe some Havanese are bathed more often than another you own because of variations in coats. I realize than some do not bathe on a schedule, but "as needed" depending on individual circumstances - different times of the year, perhaps a different location with a different environment for a second home, perhaps different when camping, etc. Just select the option that most closely fits your general bathing schedule.

Some owners bathe their dog(s) themselves while others take them to a professional groomer. For this poll, it doesn't matter. The question is how often someone, anyone bathes the dog.

The poll is anonymous. Good luck and thanks for playing

Reactions: LeleRF

·
Registered
16 Posts
The current discussions about the frequency of baths for Havanese has prompted me to create this survey. I find it an interesting discussion.

You will be allowed to vote more than once for those that have multiple Havanese. Maybe some Havanese are bathed more often than another you own because of variations in coats. I realize than some do not bathe on a schedule, but "as needed" depending on individual circumstances - different times of the year, perhaps a different location with a different environment for a second home, perhaps different when camping, etc. Just select the option that most closely fits your general bathing schedule.

Some owners bathe their dog(s) themselves while others take them to a professional groomer. For this poll, it doesn't matter. The question is how often someone, anyone bathes the dog.

The poll is anonymous. Good luck and thanks for playing
What a great poll. Especially for newbies. Looking forward to the results of this one. Have heard everything from once every couple of weeks to ONLY every 6 months or so to prevent drying out their skin.
PS: How is Rickey doing with the stomach issue?

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
Better not have your dog in coat if you plan on bathing only once every 6 months! LOL!

·
Registered
601 Posts
I voted 1 to 3 months since Shadow usually goes to the groomer every 6 weeks. Sometimes he gets a mini butt wash as needed.
We have also gotten soaked in unexpected rain showers the last few days every day, if that counts!

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
I voted 1 to 3 months. I don't know that any of our dogs, that weren't showing, have ever been bathed more than once a month, but I doubt they go as much as 3.
I certainly saw, while I had the litter, that my dogs coats CAN go that long between baths without having any sort of problem. I LIKE bathing them more often just because I can, I don’t have so many, and I like them to look their best when they are out in public, as they often are. But having even ONE litter, and eight dogs in the house at the same time, I have been humbled! LOL!

Reactions: MJB and LeleRF

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,534 Posts
I wonder if anyone has any “lessons learned” with regard to bath frequency. For example, perhaps someone switched to more frequent bathing because it makes them easier to comb or they switched to less frequent bathing because their dog got dry and itchy. Just curious as to how folks arrived at their preferred bath schedule.

In my experience, I have found that less bathing is required if I thoroughly comb and brush my dogs daily. I have found brushing is really good for getting down to the skin and distributing the natural oils and for removing loose hair and dead skin. Previously, I mainly brushed to prepare the fur for combing but I am finding the brushing to be very beneficial. The CC brass fusion brush is awesome for this. I have been letting Mia’s hair grow which is fairly long now. I still can get a comb through it easily and she has not had a bath in a few months. I also never spritz her with anything when I comb which I am sure is considered a big no no but I have not seen any adverse effects and I don’t get conditioner build up which to me attracts dirt.

It would be interesting to see a poll on how often folks comb and brush and if they think that has an impact on how often baths are required.

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
I found that during blowing coat, I needed to reduce the length of time between baths down to every 4 days with Kodi, and condition HEAVILY, or he matted TERRIBLY. But I suspect that if I were less committed to maintaining his coat, he would have ended up in a puppy cut with most people. 😉 he needed to be fully combed out twice a day or he was matted to the skin. Panda was not nearly as bad. Pixel was not as bad as far as the terrible BIG mats, but she got covered with these tiny nit mats that would slide right between the teeth of even the smallest comb, and had to be pulled out with your fingers… very tediously. I DID give up and cut her down!

With both Kodi and Panda being white in all the parts that matter, (the parts that contact the ground… and Ducky follows in their footsteps) the determining factor as adults is not matting, but just that my dogs “do stuff”. Whether it is walks on the edge of the street or on woodland paths, or obedience and agility on black rubber mats. They get dirty. I don’t want my white dogs looking grey. So they get bathed. You can comb and brush as much as you want, but you can’t get that off without soap and water. 🤷‍♀️

I do not believe that you cannot bathe a dog OR a human without damaging their skin, any more than I believe that you can’t wash your hands without damaging your skin. You just need to use the proper products and condition properly. Show dogs get washed at least once or twice a week when they are showing;, perhaps more. Their coats still look beautiful. Look at Bono. Wanna ask how often HE gets bathed and blow dried? Look at HIS coat! ;) I use a mild shampoo with a a conditioner built-in as my “regular” shampoo. For showing, I use a shampoo with a whitener (NOT a bleach!!!) in it, BUT, I also use a much deeper conditioner at the same time. If I used this conditioner all the time, it would weigh down Panda’s very light coat, especially. But for just after a show bath, it leaves her looking and feeling wonderful!

So, as with most things… It depends! :D

Oh, for every day, my go-to shampoo is Chris Christensen Pro Line Fair Advantage All-in-One. It has a VERY mild lemony fragrance, and leaves them feeling clean, soft and conditioned, and is mild enough even to use on the babies. I buy it by the gallon. I know Pam King prefers Coat Handler, and I think it works as well, but I find the fragrance too strong, and it bothers my allergies.

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,534 Posts
I was ignorant with Mia and did not even know what blowing coat was. She did mat up and I put her in a puppy cut. I just thought that she had a matting type cost. However, now that I am growing her out I realize how easy the coat is to maintain. It is only recently that I have done this so I may wind up bathing more frequently too. I am sort of experimenting on how long I should go between baths. If the legs or feet get dirty, I sometimes do foot or leg baths vs. the entire body. Mia’s main issue is staining from her tongue that is always out. I have decided just to keep that area short. This is one of the luxuries of not having a show dog. I can do whatever I want and if it means less stress for Mia or me I do it. But the rest of her body has been super easy to maintain so far,

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
I was ignorant with Mia and did not even know what blowing coat was. She did mat up and I put her in a puppy cut. I just thought that she had a matting type cost. However, now that I am growing her out I realize how easy the coat is to maintain. It is only recently that I have done this so I may wind up bathing more frequently too. I am sort of experimenting on how long I should go between baths. If the legs or feet get dirty, I sometimes do foot or leg baths vs. the entire body. Mia’s main issue is staining from her tongue that is always out. I have decided just to keep that area short. This is one of the luxuries of not having a show dog. I can do whatever I want and if it means less stress for Mia or me I do it. But the rest of her body has been super easy to maintain so far,
I’m all for low stress, but I also think it’s completely possible to teach the dog to accept the process without stress. That’s why I psoted the video I did on bathing Ducky. I think, if you watch it, except for his momentary alarm when I first turned the dryer on (which I ALSO could have done more slowly, if I’d thought he would object that much… I didn’t expect it!) I think you can see, there wasn’t much stress on eithe of our parts. That’s what I aim for. Grooming can be a nice bonding time if you are quiet and gentle about it.

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,534 Posts
I’m all for low stress, but I also think it’s completely possible to teach the dog to accept the process without stress. That’s why I psoted the video I did on bathing Ducky. I think, if you watch it, except for his momentary alarm when I first turned the dryer on (which I ALSO could have done more slowly, if I’d thought he would object that much… I didn’t expect it!) I think you can see, there wasn’t much stress on eithe of our parts. That’s what I aim for. Grooming can be a nice bonding time if you are quiet and gentle about it.
Mia absolutely loves to be groomed and stands there for me 20-30 minutes per day while I groom her. Her mouth is not formed correctly and her tongue is always out. I find this area impossible to keep from staining. And the fur gets kind of stiff there. We are not talking just getting wet when she drinks. The tongue is out always. I guess what I am saying is that this is a problem area and it is easier for me to just keep it shorter vs. trying to keep it looking good. Mia is not going to win any contests but I still think she looks cute this way. I simply think it is less stressful to keep it short.

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
Mia absolutely loves to be groomed and stands there for me 20-30 minutes per day while I groom her. Her mouth is not formed correctly and her tongue is always out. I find this area impossible to keep from staining. And the fur gets kind of stiff there. We are not talking just getting wet when she drinks. The tongue is out always. I guess what I am saying is that this is a problem area and it is easier for me to just keep it shorter vs. trying to keep it looking good. Mia is not going to win any contests but I still think she looks cute this way. I simply think it is less stressful to keep it short.
Sure! I wasn’t suggesting that you shouldn’t use an expedient where it makes sense! I made the decision long ago to keep Pixel in a puppy cut because that works better for both of us. And although I ADORED Kodi’s long coat, when I got sick, I just could not maintain it anymore. Again, it made sense to cut him down. Now, at 12, the consistency of his coat, much as I hate to admit it, is changing with age. He DOES mat more when it get longer. I would much rather spend our time together as he ages doing things we both love than taking mats out of his coat! NOTHING wrong with you shortening the hair around Mia’s mouth!

·
Premium Member
2,878 Posts
I wonder if anyone has any “lessons learned” with regard to bath frequency. For example, perhaps someone switched to more frequent bathing because it makes them easier to comb or they switched to less frequent bathing because their dog got dry and itchy. Just curious as to how folks arrived at their preferred bath schedule.

In my experience, I have found that less bathing is required if I thoroughly comb and brush my dogs daily. I have found brushing is really good for getting down to the skin and distributing the natural oils and for removing loose hair and dead skin. Previously, I mainly brushed to prepare the fur for combing but I am finding the brushing to be very beneficial. The CC brass fusion brush is awesome for this. I have been letting Mia’s hair grow which is fairly long now. I still can get a comb through it easily and she has not had a bath in a few months. I also never spritz her with anything when I comb which I am sure is considered a big no no but I have not seen any adverse effects and I don’t get conditioner build up which to me attracts dirt.

It would be interesting to see a poll on how often folks comb and brush and if they think that has an impact on how often baths are required.
From a puppy coat perspective, when my puppy had giardia, the vet said to give him a bath every day for a couple of days and every other day after that for two weeks (something like that). I immediately noticed how quickly he became cooperative with baths and grooming! I don’t think anyone should intentionally bathe their dogs that frequently without a reason. I do think that giving a puppy a bath a little more often than they “need it,” since Havanese puppies could go a month or more without a bath, could be really helpful to owners intending to keep their Havanese in a long coat down the line. It just offers opportunities for training that are closer together at a young age, when their coat is short and easy to care for. Not a reason to give tons of extra baths, but maybe a good reason not to avoid it :)

I actually think Sundance does better with a bath every 5 days, which is too much and too hard to make routine. He gets a bath every weekend. He’s not particularly low maintenance, but it’s really manageable on the longer side until it gets to this particular length, usually when I love how he looks! The extra length makes a difference in how well I manage grooming and it’s usually when he ends up getting a haircut. Lately it has more breakage because I’m always playing catch-up. I think breakage probably causes problems the same way split ends do for humans.

There’s a trade off with some of the products I use. They make him easy and fast to comb but they do build up. If I used less spray I think he could reach 7-10 days between baths more easily. I would rather daily grooming take less time and give him a bath more often. I cannot imagine him going a month without a bath!

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
From a puppy coat perspective, when my puppy had giardia, the vet said to give him a bath every day for a couple of days and every other day after that for two weeks (something like that). I immediately noticed how quickly he became cooperative with baths and grooming! I don’t think anyone should intentionally bathe their dogs that frequently without a reason. I do think that giving a puppy a bath a little more often than they “need it,” since Havanese puppies could go a month or more without a bath, could be really helpful to owners intending to keep their Havanese in a long coat down the line. It just offers opportunities for training that are closer together at a young age, when their coat is short and easy to care for. Not a reason to give tons of extra baths, but maybe a good reason not to avoid it :)

I actually think Sundance does better with a bath every 5 days, which is too much and too hard to make routine. He gets a bath every weekend. He’s not particularly low maintenance, but it’s really manageable on the longer side until it gets to this particular length, usually when I love how he looks! The extra length makes a difference in how well I manage grooming and it’s usually when he ends up getting a haircut. Lately it has more breakage because I’m always playing catch-up. I think breakage probably causes problems the same way split ends do for humans.

There’s a trade off with some of the products I use. They make him easy and fast to comb but they do build up. If I used less spray I think he could reach 7-10 days between baths more easily. I would rather daily grooming take less time and give him a bath more often. I cannot imagine him going a month without a bath!
Lot of good points in this post! I think it is absolutely true that (relatively) frequent bathing when they are little and their hair is short and it doesn’t take long, if it is done gently, calmly and kindly gets them used to the process. I mentioned that in the video I posted in Ducky’s thread.

The build-up issue is real too… at least on my dogs. More obvious on Panda, whose coat is the lightest. Any heavy conditioner, or a build up of conditioning spray during grooming over too many days, just leaves her coat looking dull and greasy.

And for sure, broken hair not only catches in the comb more, (leading to more breakage) but also is more likely to catch shedding undercoat and lead to matting.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Perry's in a puppy cut and he generally gets a bath when I'm ready to cut him again - so sometime between 6 weeks and usually 2 months (but has gone longer). Though I have noticed with him being on crate rest (which you would think would need less bathing) that he really needs a bath and it's been just over 3 weeks since his last one (and probably won't get one for another few weeks - depending on what the vet says at his check up on Wednesday, whether he is in a splint/ bandages for a few more weeks AND my comfort level giving him a bath while he's still healing).

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,534 Posts
It is very interesting to hear others experience. I assume the type of coat that the dog has makes a difference too. My growing Mia out is sort of an experiment. If it becomes difficult to maintain I will get out the choppers! So far she is extremely easy to comb and I cannot even remember the last time she had a mat. Her hair is silky and fine so maybe that helps. As far as baths, even though she has not received as many as other dogs, she is very good for bath time. I do give foot or leg baths as needed, sometimes just with plain water. One reason I try to minimize baths is that I do not have filtered water at the sink.

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
Reactions: DogFather

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,534 Posts
Why would you need filtered water?
So they are not being bathed in chlorine or other chemicals in the tap (and soon to be well) water. We filter our drinking water with a Berkey and have filters on the showers for us. Maybe this does not make a difference but we avoid bathing ourselves in non-filtered water so trying to do the same for the dogs. Probably okay occasionally but would not want to bathe them frequently in tap water.

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
So they are not being bathed in chlorine or other chemicals in the tap (and soon to be well) water. We filter our drinking water with a Berkey and have filters on the showers for us. Maybe this does not make a difference but we avoid bathing ourselves in non-filtered water so trying to do the same for the dogs. Probably okay occasionally but would not want to bathe them frequently in tap water.
We don't DRINK our tap water, nor do we give it to the dogs. (heaven forbid!!! It's NASTY!!!) but I don't have a problem with bathing the dogs in it. They have never shown ANY sign of any sort of skin problems. We don't filter the water we shower in either. We DO avoid showering (or bathing the dogs!) on the days when it is running brown... and it does! But we spend SO MUCH on filtering just our drinking water that it would break the bank to filter wash water too!

Reactions: mudpuppymama

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,534 Posts
We don't DRINK our tap water, nor do we give it to the dogs. (heaven forbid!!! It's NASTY!!!) but I don't have a problem with bathing the dogs in it. They have never shown ANY sign of any sort of skin problems. We don't filter the water we shower in either. We DO avoid showering (or bathing the dogs!) on the days when it is running brown... and it does! But we spend SO MUCH on filtering just our drinking water that it would break the bank to filter wash water too!
Ahh that is good to know. I was thinking you had some sort of whole house RO system. The whole water filtering topic is such a mass of confusion. I have read articles that stated that if you need to choose between a shower filter and a drinking water filter, choose the shower filter because in one 10 minute shower your pores soak up more than drinking several gallons of water!!! Now who knows if that is true or not, just like many other things. I know people that drink plain old tap water and appear healthy. I assume some tap and well water is better or worse than others.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts