Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Once every 6+ months or more

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • As needed, it varies greatly

Votes: 3 8.8%
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

Arf! Arf! Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
We washed Ricky's Teddy Cow yesterday. Teddy Cow was not happy about the experience. We threw him in the washing machine with lots of detergent.. Then we put him in the dryer on tumble dry. He came out of the dryer a little dizzy but with that same permanent smile on his face. But he was nice and clean. I explained to Ricky that if he didn't cooperate with hand washing/drying, we would have no alternative but to wash/dry him like we do Teddy Cow! We got the "raised eyebrow" look from Ricky. 馃え

It's been 24 hours since Teddy Cow's cleaning. What with Ricky and JoJo playing "tug-a-Cow" with Teddy Cow during that period, he needs another bath!

Sophie
Nino gets bathed less than I'd like. He's got a very low maintenance coat, hardly mats up, and doesn't typically get too dirty. His baths get displaced by Brisket's more important baths, so while I would prefer every other week (which is what I do when I'm being "good"), he is typically bathed every 4 weeks.

Brisket is corded, and I'm obsessive about keeping those cords clean. Lots of progress to lose if he were to get gross and need to be cut down. He is fully bathed weekly to every 10 days. I would do it more, but he needs to be cage dried for quite awhile after his baths, and I don't feel it is fair to do that to him more than once a week.

Metrowest, MA
Ahh that is good to know. I was thinking you had some sort of whole house RO system. The whole water filtering topic is such a mass of confusion. I have read articles that stated that if you need to choose between a shower filter and a drinking water filter, choose the shower filter because in one 10 minute shower your pores soak up more than drinking several gallons of water!!! Now who knows if that is true or not, just like many other things. I know people that drink plain old tap water and appear healthy. I assume some tap and well water is better or worse than others.
Well first, a 10 minute shower is eating a lotta watts! LOL!

Second, I do NOT believe that you soak up that much water! If you did, you would bloat! With the quality of our water, you have NO IDEA how much waste water an RO system would reject if we tried to process enough for whole house use. As it is, there are days that I cannot even process water for drinking water purposes, because the reject rate is so high I have to turn it off and just wait for a "cleaner" day... And THIS isn't really the "harmful" stuff... this is just gross sediment. You can't SEE the harmful stuff. This sight has town by town information on what is in various municipal water supplies and how to treat them: Environmental Working Group 鈥 Know your choices | Environmental Working Group

Reactions: mudpuppymama

Metrowest, MA
We washed Ricky's Teddy Cow yesterday. Teddy Cow was not happy about the experience. We threw him in the washing machine with lots of detergent.. Then we put him in the dryer on tumble dry. He came out of the dryer a little dizzy but with that same permanent smile on his face. But he was nice and clean. I explained to Ricky that if he didn't cooperate with hand washing/drying, we would have no alternative but to wash/dry him like we do Teddy Cow! We got the "raised eyebrow" look from Ricky. 馃え

It's been 24 hours since Teddy Cow's cleaning. What with Ricky and JoJo playing "tug-a-Cow" with Teddy Cow during that period, he needs another bath!
LOL!

Metrowest, MA
Nino gets bathed less than I'd like. He's got a very low maintenance coat, hardly mats up, and doesn't typically get too dirty. His baths get displaced by Brisket's more important baths, so while I would prefer every other week (which is what I do when I'm being "good"), he is typically bathed every 4 weeks.

Brisket is corded, and I'm obsessive about keeping those cords clean. Lots of progress to lose if he were to get gross and need to be cut down. He is fully bathed weekly to every 10 days. I would do it more, but he needs to be cage dried for quite awhile after his baths, and I don't feel it is fair to do that to him more than once a week.
I would love to hear more about what you have to do/how you wash/dry him. How do you get all the shampoo out of the cords, and how long does he have to be in the cage dryer. What is your home cage dryer set-up? I have a groomer fiend who has one, but I've never seen a home one, and I've only seen them used on dogs in puppy cuts.

Reactions: EvaE1izabeth

Owned by a Havallon
Well first, a 10 minute shower is eating a lotta watts! LOL!

Second, I do NOT believe that you soak up that much water! If you did, you would bloat! With the quality of our water, you have NO IDEA how much waste water an RO system would reject if we tried to process enough for whole house use. As it is, there are days that I cannot even process water for drinking water purposes, because the reject rate is so high I have to turn it off and just wait for a "cleaner" day... And THIS isn't really the "harmful" stuff... this is just gross sediment. You can't SEE the harmful stuff. This sight has town by town information on what is in various municipal water supplies and how to treat them: Environmental Working Group 鈥 Know your choices | Environmental Working Group

View attachment 175101
As I said I am not sure who to believe regarding how many chemicals are absorbed through the skin via showering. I guess the main thing with me is that I see no need to bathe Mia more often than I am. Her coat looks beautiful and is easy to manage. However, I may change my mind about that as she gets longer. I also may bathe her more during August or September when there are more allergens around here. She doesn鈥檛 have allergies but I may want to keep them off her coat. I will definitely do more foot baths during that time of year. It sounds like frequent baths are working successfully for many dogs but I still don鈥檛 want to give a bath just to be giving a bath.

Metrowest, MA
As I said I am not sure who to believe regarding how many chemicals are absorbed through the skin via showering. I guess the main thing with me is that I see no need to bathe Mia more often than I am. Her coat looks beautiful and is easy to manage. However, I may change my mind about that as she gets longer. I also may bathe her more during August or September when there are more allergens around here. She doesn鈥檛 have allergies but I may want to keep them off her coat. I will definitely do more foot baths during that time of year. It sounds like frequent baths are working successfully for many dogs but I still don鈥檛 want to give a bath just to be giving a bath.
I would NEVER suggest bathing "just for the sake of bathing"! LOL! That's a lot of work and aggravation for nothing!

Owned by a Havallon
I would NEVER suggest bathing "just for the sake of bathing"! LOL! That's a lot of work and aggravation for nothing!
Exactly. This is why I cannot get myself to give Mia a bath if I don鈥檛 think she needs it. I have to see some benefit and that she looks different after the bath. Otherwise, I am not motivated and would rather give her a good brush and comb session.

Metrowest, MA
Exactly. This is why I cannot get myself to give Mia a bath if I don鈥檛 think she needs it. I have to see some benefit and that she looks different after the bath. Otherwise, I am not motivated and would rather give her a good brush and comb session.

That's what I'd do!

I know that during the last "Covid year" my dogs have gotten less bathing because we haven't GONE places as much. Less shows and trials, so no need to primp for those. Less hiking in the woods... Not sure why... maybe the wind just out of our sails? Then, of course, this spring, too busy for ANYTHING other than raising puppies! They were lucky if they got their nails trimmed!!!

Registered
I also gave Chase a bath yesterday, and I鈥檓 not entirely sure who had more of a bath him or me! 馃槀 馃Ъ 馃泚 馃挦 He was clinging to me for dear life! I had bathed him in the kitchen sink in a dish basin similar to Karen鈥檚 video with a towel on the bottom for a bit of traction.

I already knew this was to be expected because about a week after he was home with us, I gave him just a quick rinse -Karen gave him a bath on our pick up date so he was still 鈥檉resh鈥 but I noticed some pollen and bits of the outdoors in his coat & he seemed a little itchy. It did seem to help! So that may be the in-between thing to do at least during the major outdoor play seasons.

I may look to get a stand for the dryer because it鈥檚 MUCH easier having 2 hands available. We we鈥檙e on the floor so no risk of injury from falling off a table but it still would be a big help. My last dog was bathed in the bathtub and while I know she didn鈥檛 love it she just became stiff like a statue LOL! Chase is still too little for a big ol鈥檛ub!

Registered
Piper gets professionally groomed (including bath) every 6 to 8 weeks. My SO was a bit skeptical about us needing to pay for a professional until the time we had to work together to give poor Pipes an emergency butt bath lol. After THAT little adventure he is the one who is like 鈥淕roomer鈥檚 next date is on the calendar right? Right? You didn鈥檛 forget to book her right?鈥 馃槅

Owned by a Havallon
Piper gets professionally groomed (including bath) every 6 to 8 weeks. My SO was a bit skeptical about us needing to pay for a professional until the time we had to work together to give poor Pipes an emergency butt bath lol. After THAT little adventure he is the one who is like 鈥淕roomer鈥檚 next date is on the calendar right? Right? You didn鈥檛 forget to book her right?鈥 馃槅
When it comes to fun tasks like butt baths, there is no WE at our house!

Registered
When it comes to fun tasks like butt baths, there is no WE at our house!
Ahhh, yes, I realized long ago when DD was a baby that anything that may have DH appear anything less than hero status translates to me being on my own and that would include baths, most routine Dr visits, minor first aid (he did do diapers though!). I get a holler from the other end of the house 鈥檡ou need anythingggg?鈥 He may as well be saying, 鈥業 don鈥檛 really want to help with this so I am intentionally putting as much distance between us as possibleeee!鈥 馃槖

Registered
I already knew this was to be expected because about a week after he was home with us, I gave him just a quick rinse -Karen gave him a bath on our pick up date so he was still 鈥檉resh鈥 but I noticed some pollen and bits of the outdoors in his coat & he seemed a little itchy. It did seem to help! So that may be the in-between thing to do at least during the major outdoor play seasons.
Let me clarify that the need for the rinse was due to his 鈥檚niff and strolls鈥 outside my home where he loves to roll around in the grass and the ground! He was pristine upon pick up from Karen!

Owned by a Havallon
Ahhh, yes, I realized long ago when DD was a baby that anything that may have DH appear anything less than hero status translates to me being on my own and that would include baths, most routine Dr visits, minor first aid (he did do diapers though!). I get a holler from the other end of the house 鈥檡ou need anythingggg?鈥 He may as well be saying, 鈥業 don鈥檛 really want to help with this so I am intentionally putting as much distance between us as possibleeee!鈥 馃槖
I should give credit to the hubby for occasionally performing the role of 鈥渄og holder鈥, however mom always does the dirty work! Recently Mia had a tick smack dab on her butt hole!!! Yikes! So dad was called upon to hold her while I yanked it out. Luckily it had just started to dig in so not too hard to remove. Ticks are another reason I groom every day.

Metrowest, MA
LOL!

21 - 40 of 71 Posts