• Once every 6+ months or more

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • As needed, it varies greatly

Votes: 3 9.1%
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Metrowest, MA
28,498 Posts
Mia is great for all aspects of grooming EXCEPT tick removal! She becomes a Mexican jumping bean! Not sure how to train that out of her!
Sometimes you've just got to giter'done. :) Pixel has FINALLY gotten better about her nails (THANK YOU Dremel!!!) But for YEARS when I was still clipping, it didn't matter how much time I took, how many treats of what value I tried (she wouldn't take them) in the end, to keep Pixel's nails in shape, it ALWAYS came down to Dave pinning her after I swaddled her in a towel, and I pulled out one foot at a time and did her nails. I was SOOOO careful not to quick her. That little minx would bounce out of the towel at the end with her tail wagging. I truly do NOT think she was all the scared. She just HATED it! But nails are not optional. And I am a REAL believer in SHORT nails, so nails get done pretty frequently here.

Thank HEAVENS, she is MUCH better about the Dremel, and I can do her myself, just in a grooming loop. You'd think that the sound and vibration might be "scarier", but nope! He still has to hold her down for dew claws, but they don't touch the ground, so there is more leeway there. They do not affect gait or soundness.

Neither Panda or Kodi (who over all is a HUGE baby about anything that MIGHT hurt) even need a grooming loop for nails with the Dremel.

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,534 Posts
This year has been particularly bad for ticks. Normally the dogs are not too bad for tick removals but I think they are fed up. I cannot say I blame them! Typically ticks are not too bad once mid June comes but this year we had an insane amount of rain in June which got the little buggers all riled up again! And of course how bad the dogs are for tick removal is dependent on how sensitive the area is where the tick happens to be!!! I think the butt hole tick pushed Mia over the edge!!! Armpit ticks are the absolute worse!

Mine have gotten better for their nails. Mia prefers the dremel however my yorkie prefers clippers!!!! I am more nervous with the clippers though. However, I use the zen clipper on him which seems to work very well. He also walks an insane amount and digs a lot so his nails don’t seem to grow as fast as Mia’s. I wish the dogs were like my cat though…he practically falls asleep while trimming his nails!!!!! He lets me vacuum him too, however I now realize why…I believe he is deaf!

·
"I AM the Brute Squad"
2,251 Posts
my cat sleeps through his nail trims too!! I just go to wherever he is lounging, grab a paw and snip away. Bazinga doesn't move. Fezzik on the other hand - WWF wrestling.

I gave Fezzik a bath every 7-10 days when he gets stinky. Sooner if he romps through poison ivy. The hubby and kids react badly to it. Fezzik does get face washes every other day to combat the eye boogers. The eye boogers are winning.

·
MJ
30 Posts
I found that during blowing coat, I needed to reduce the length of time between baths down to every 4 days with Kodi, and condition HEAVILY, or he matted TERRIBLY. But I suspect that if I were less committed to maintaining his coat, he would have ended up in a puppy cut with most people. 😉 he needed to be fully combed out twice a day or he was matted to the skin. Panda was not nearly as bad. Pixel was not as bad as far as the terrible BIG mats, but she got covered with these tiny nit mats that would slide right between the teeth of even the smallest comb, and had to be pulled out with your fingers… very tediously. I DID give up and cut her down!

With both Kodi and Panda being white in all the parts that matter, (the parts that contact the ground… and Ducky follows in their footsteps) the determining factor as adults is not matting, but just that my dogs “do stuff”. Whether it is walks on the edge of the street or on woodland paths, or obedience and agility on black rubber mats. They get dirty. I don’t want my white dogs looking grey. So they get bathed. You can comb and brush as much as you want, but you can’t get that off without soap and water. 🤷‍♀️

I do not believe that you cannot bathe a dog OR a human without damaging their skin, any more than I believe that you can’t wash your hands without damaging your skin. You just need to use the proper products and condition properly. Show dogs get washed at least once or twice a week when they are showing;, perhaps more. Their coats still look beautiful. Look at Bono. Wanna ask how often HE gets bathed and blow dried? Look at HIS coat! ;) I use a mild shampoo with a a conditioner built-in as my “regular” shampoo. For showing, I use a shampoo with a whitener (NOT a bleach!!!) in it, BUT, I also use a much deeper conditioner at the same time. If I used this conditioner all the time, it would weigh down Panda’s very light coat, especially. But for just after a show bath, it leaves her looking and feeling wonderful!

So, as with most things… It depends! :D

Oh, for every day, my go-to shampoo is Chris Christensen Pro Line Fair Advantage All-in-One. It has a VERY mild lemony fragrance, and leaves them feeling clean, soft and conditioned, and is mild enough even to use on the babies. I buy it by the gallon. I know Pam King prefers Coat Handler, and I think it works as well, but I find the fragrance too strong, and it bothers my allergies.

·
MJ
30 Posts
Thank you for sharing your grooming expertise. Chérie is a Havanes/Bichon Poodle mix and I have tried many grooming products on her but none have worked very well. I like CC products and I will try the All in One ProLine product. I am also looking to buy a pair of scissors to trim her between grooming appointments, I don’t know whether to purchase straight or curved. Which would you recommend?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Thank you for sharing your grooming expertise. Chérie is a Havanes/Bichon Poodle mix and I have tried many grooming products on her but none have worked very well. I like CC products and I will try the All in One ProLine product. I am also looking to buy a pair of scissors to trim her between grooming appointments, I don’t know whether to purchase straight or curved. Which would you recommend?
I got a kit that had both and when I am truly grooming I tend to use the curved more than the straight, but for quick touch-ups I have a smaller pair of straight (with the rounded safety tip) in his day-to-day grooming bag that I use. So I'd say it's whatever you're more comfortable with :). I like the curved because I can keep the pointy end further away from his body when I'm snipping away :)

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,534 Posts
I have both straight and curved, both with rounded tips. I prefer the straight for things like paw pads and butt area. The curved are nice if I trim other areas of the body or try to round the feet. It is amazing how many curvy areas there are!

·
Metrowest, MA
28,498 Posts
I use both for different things. I wouldn't be without curved shears for feet on a dog in coat! HOWEVER, if you are going to buy curved shears, buy good quality ones, or don't bother to buy them at all. poor quality ones are TERRIBLE!!!

·
Metrowest, MA
28,498 Posts
Oh, I also have a very SMALL, very sharp pair that I use specifically for snipping out top knots!

·
Premium Member
2,878 Posts
Your climate might play a role in what products work well for her coat, too. I have noticed that some of the products people on the east coast really love do not work well for Sundance, and some that work really well in our dry climate aren’t liked as well by others in different climates. Also I find there are some trade offs with almost everything so maybe consider what is most important to you and start there. As an example, some of the products that make Sundance’s coat look smooth and less frizzy make his coat dirty faster. Right now he also has more breakage so it’s not worth fighting the frizz, and I’m using lighter products geared more towards detangling.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I love my curved scissors✂. They are very sharp but I wouldn’t be without then. As others have said the are great at cutting around feet, I also like them for shaping up any bits after using the clippers, although I have also scissored Flo with them alone. My groomer was very impressed when I took Flo to see her after my first attempt🌟to me😀 although tbh I was just following her original cut shape so wasn’t working from scratch. She showed me how to use them, plus recommended I use the curve side out whilst I was gaining confidence. I am scared stiff of them as they are so sharp, but Flo is very good at keeping still and so far I have only cut myself! And that was only because I worried I had caught her so I quickly pulled back and sliced my other hand (I was using it as a guard between Flo and the scissor) with the blades…while Flo didn’t flinch and just looked at me being the idiot I was🙄

·
Metrowest, MA
28,498 Posts
I am scared stiff of them as they are so sharp, but Flo is very good at keeping still and so far I have only cut myself! And that was only because I worried I had caught her so I quickly pulled back and sliced my other hand (I was using it as a guard between Flo and the scissor) with the blades…while Flo didn’t flinch and just looked at me being the idiot I was🙄
LOL! I can't tell you the number of times I've seen blood on white dog hair, panicked, thinking I'd cut the dog, only to see I'd sliced MYSELF!!! The problem is, if they are GOOD shears, they are SO sharp that you don't even FEEL it when you cut yourself!!! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
481 Posts
LOL! I can't tell you the number of times I've seen blood on white dog hair, panicked, thinking I'd cut the dog, only to see I'd sliced MYSELF!!! The problem is, if they are GOOD shears, they are SO sharp that you don't even FEEL it when you cut yourself!!! :ROFLMAO:
Ooh I felt it😭😭😭😭😭😭. But it was one of those sliced clean cuts, that doesn’t bleed straight away…and then doesn’t stop🙄. Fortunately because they’re so sharp it created a flap of skin so healed back down pretty well...and now I tend to use the clippers🤣😘

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,534 Posts
I am waaaaay to afraid to try to cut paw pads with scissors - I always use the tiny clippers :)
I can understand why you would feel this way. Mia stands perfectly still for me to do her paw pads with scissors and I make sure not to go to deep between the pads. However, when I try to use clippers she becomes a bucking bronco. I am actually more fearful of her hurting a joint or muscle when using clippers vs. the scissors. Mia is so amazingly good for paw pad trimming with scissors I am giving in to her on this one. I also prefer not to shave them because I believe a little bit of hair acts as protection for digging dogs which I have. I am not sure why she is so good for paw pad trimming because she is not as good for nail trimming. It may be because I am obsessed about paw pads and so I do them really often.

·
Registered
168 Posts
For those with white dogs, which whitening shampoo do you use? There’s a good chance that our future puppy will have a lot of white (mostly parti, plus three mostly black puppies, but I think they all still have white feet!), and I’ve never had a white dog! Charlie’s coat with its many many shades of gold/grey/red hides dirt incredibly well so I’m nervous about keeping the white white, especially around the face and feet!

·
Metrowest, MA
28,498 Posts
I am waaaaay to afraid to try to cut paw pads with scissors - I always use the tiny clippers :)
I am with you there! (And I’m pretty confident when it comes to grooming!)

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,534 Posts
I am with you there! (And I’m pretty confident when it comes to grooming!)
I use a long scissors with a rounded tip and sort of lay the scissors flat in between the pads. No pointing of scissors down into the pad area. However, Mia stands like a statue. Otherwise, I would not do it. I have never cut her in all these years.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts