Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello folks I was just wondering how often do you bather your dogs, we are getting a puppy sometime in july and was wondering. thanks.

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
I usually give my girl a bath weekly, although, there are times that we need a bath more often.. and if we're lucky, we might go a bit over a week.

It really varies per dog. My dog plays outside with my kids, so she is always in need of a bath.

We go to the groomer every 4 weeks for now, and she gets her feet and sanitary trim done then.

Just make sure you get a mild shampoo, there are tons of recommendations on this forum. I personally like the Coat Handlers...we've been using it for a few weeks now, and I can see a big difference.

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Sam has a full show coat and needs to have his legs and skirt washed more than the rest (he pees on them).:eek: I put him in the laundry tub and just wash the underside. He gets a full bath every week or two, depending on the weather.:)

JodiM: Love your new avatar!:) Princess is Beautiful.

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
I do the same here. I also have allergies - esp. to dust, so Oreo gets bathed once a week. Now that spring is coming, and the pollens are out, it may have to be every 5 days or so. :)

·
Quincy's Mom-Vinnie too!
9,923 Posts
Quincy gets a bath once a week and is brushed out daily.I'm trying to keep him in full coat.....he is going to be a year old April 27!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
About every two weeks, or as needed because it is Spring and wet outside. I want to keep them in full coats, so Kodi gets groomed as often as he will tolerate. Shelby doesn't mat as much, so she gets brushed about 1-2x/week. They will be bathed over the weekend and I can't wait to try the new shampoo I got from Plush Puppy.

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,362 Posts
Bugsy play outside all the time and I swear he and Romeo (my cream poodle) are always the dertiest dogs in the park. Especially Bugsy, cause he is so close to the ground and therefore the mud. :) I wash his feet and whatever is dirty as needed in my laudry sink, I give him a full bath every two weeks and brush him (and my persians) daily.

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
When Ricky was a small pup, I gave him a weekly bath. He would step in his pee and get smelly. Once winter arrived, I bathed him every 2 weeks or so, even 3 weeks depending on how dirty he got. I have been combing him almost every day since we got him - 6 months ago - which helps.

Spring is here (although we are expecting snow on Thurs. and Friday :eek: :eek: !!) and the dogs are dirtier! There's sand on the roads, mud in the yard and streets.... ugh! Sammy has sable paws which I am now realizing means a dirtier looking dog! lol I gave him his first bath yesterday so we'll see just how often he's going to need one. Because he's small and his coat is silky, it's easier to groom him.

I sent Ricky to the groomer's for a "pro" bath and trim twice, in Jan. and in Feb., but I washed him last week and boy oh boy.... it takes forever to comb him out! Already the combing that I do daily is increasing as his hair doubles up and thickens, but I just didn't bother with the blow dryer this time! I know there's gonna be some major trimming going on this summer with Rickybaby. :D

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
Thanks Debbie :D

She is really turning into a beauty~ especially when she stays clean.

·
Registered
47 Posts
We have to give Derian a bath once a week. He sees dirt in the yard and he has to try rolling in it every chance he gets.:) He don't seem to stay clean very long at all.

·
Karen
3,067 Posts
I must have the dirtiest dog around here:) Brady only gets baths when he goes to the groomers. He goes every 4 weeks. In between, I use bath wipes if he gets dirty. He tends to clean his paws like a cat. We do not have a fence, so he is always with us when he is outside and does not get the opportunity to dig or roll in dirt. Once in a while, he will get a bath in between groomings, but not too often.

·
Valentino's Mom, Vicki
2,590 Posts
Valentino only gets bathed when he goes to the groomer too....every 4 weeks. We don't have our fence yet(getting one soon though!:) ) so he is always on a leash outside. He has a thick, dense coat so the few times I attempted to bathe him were not fun for either one of us!:eek: A couple of times I took him in between groomings and they just bathed him. That could get costly though! I may venture out again this summer and give it a try! Good thing he's not smelly! vicki

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
On the subject of bathing, How much to you pay to have your dog "Groomed" at the groomer?

I used to groom professionally years ago and charged about $30-$40, to "groom" Lhasa or a Shih Tzu (Most were a mess). (No Hav's then) Just curious what the going rate is now.

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
On the two occasions I had Ricky groomed, I paid $32 for a "maintenance" as it is called there. She bathes him, trims a bit off his belly so he doesn't get soaked with pee, trims the anal area and a bit under for cleanliness, does the anal glands, trims the paws and nails as well as cleans the ears, pulling out hairs. I told her I don't want all his ear hair pulled out, maybe just half since my vet agreed that it's not all that necessary. Some pull them out, others don't.

It takes just over an hour and he smells divine and is sooooooo silky smooth after. His fur is ramrod straight because she blow dries him, but within an hour the lovely wave gets back in there. :)

If he gets a cut, like a companion cut or a specialty cut like for poodles or shih-tzus then it would cost about $45.

I get the nails trimmed there because for $5 it saves me the headache of trying to do it myself on black nails. :eek:

·
Jeanne
2,622 Posts
I bathe Maddie every 1-2 weeks, depending. In between, I'll bathe just her white paws if they get real dirty. I took her to the groomers for a nail trim, pad hair trim, and paw neatening plus ear hair removal. I just waited for 10 minutes until it was done. It cost me $15. I had bathed her myself before taking her.

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
Our groomer only charges $15 for Princess... even though she had previously quoted me $30 + for her after she hit 6mo.

She says Princess is soo good for her, she doesn't need to charge me any more. She always goes on and on about how well behaved she is, and how easy it is to groom her. Makes me feel great :D

Now, if my dog would only be so well behaved when I give her a bath, I would realllllly feel great :rolleyes:

·
Mom to Dusty and Indie
1,181 Posts
Dusty gets a bath every 10 days to 2 weeks, or as needed! She starts to look grubby and be harder to brush if we wait longer than that. She gets spot cleaning in the laundry sink when necessary. We live in a dry climate, so maybe she stays a little cleaner than most, but Dusty is a suitable name for this little tomboy! I brush her every other day or more if I can. I've taken her to the groomer once for a bath and they charged $24. The longer her hair gets, the longer the bath takes. From brush to bath to dry was 1 1/2 hours last time!

·
Lincoln and Scout's Mom
3,650 Posts
I bathe Lincoln (2 yrs old) every 2-2 1/2 weeks. If he gets more frequent walks, he gets dirtier on his underside. He always get a footbath after walks. I find that he is much easier to groom when his coat is cleaner. I bathe my puppy (6 mos old) every 1 1/2 weeks - and I use waterless shampoo for his underside every other day to keep that area cleaner.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts