Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Scout
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy is three months old, and it seems that there is always some fur blocking his eyes. I would prefer that his eyes not be blocked by fur. I know that the Diane Klumb Havanese book says the hair on the inside corner of the eye may be trimmed or may be allowed to grow long and blend into the muzzle fur. The book also warns that once trimmed, it must be kept trimmed.

I am not sure whether I should trim the fur near the eye. What is everyone doing and what is the best way to keep the fur away from the eyes?

Thanks.
--Diane

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
I had my groomer cut the hair by the eye, it was driving me crazy!! It has grown back very fast , so Logan sees us thru hair at this point.
We do not show, so it might depend on whether you are showing as to whether you should cut it or not.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Hi - it is a problem - Ollie is Black and I love seeing his eyes - here is a before cut and after cut - I had the groomer just cut his head/face..

Olliemom

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
If you plan on showing, you can't trim. When it gets long enough, an elastic works great. Sometimes the hair is more bother some to the owner that the dog. Some people will put petroleum jelly, just a touch, under the eye to keep the hair from poking into the eye.:)

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Olloesmom,
I usually keep Kodi's hair trimmed like that. I trim his "bangs" and around his eyes. Shelby is still looking like a mop. She has much straighter hair than Kodi. I guess she is still in her puppy coat, because she doesn't mat yet. You can't see her eyes, but she looks so cute. She doesn't seem to mind one bit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I keep hearing about puppy coat & adult coat what is the difference. My pups Zoey & Logan are 6mos & 4mos so they are still soft & fluffy - does the texture or color change?

·
Katie
2,217 Posts
I just want to say that Ollie is a doll~!
And you are getting great pictures of a black dog, that can be so hard to do!

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
Oh, Ollie is soo cute!

Sam is such a doll Debbie~ Hubby walked over holding Princess while I was showing him (trying to explain what a sable is, he's a bit slow. lol) and she barked at Sam. She never barks. She must have been telling him what a cutie he is.

Oh who am I kidding... allll the doggies on this site are to die for.

·
Casper and Missy
2,194 Posts
I think trimming around the eyes depends on the dogs hair type. The dogs with the curly hair like Ollie look really cute trimmed, but I like the dogs with the wavy-straight hair, not trimmed and left in a shaggy look or pulled back like Sam.

I love both Ollie and Sam's picture, these dogs are just awesome! Really great pictures!

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Ollie's haircut is so cute!! They did a nice job. You certainly dont want to hide those beautiful eyes!!
I love Sams pony tail - I might let the girls get a little longer & try it with them. Can you use barretts??
Laurie

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
Awww, poor Ollie :( The good thing, like you said, is that he is recovering just fine. He has such a wonderful thick coat. It amazes me how tiny they are underneath all that fur. I always get reminded of how small Oreo is, whenever I bath him :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
What cute havs! My concern with the hair around the eyes getting too long is that it then seems to promote irritation which the follows with more tears being produced and then tear staining. I have finally gotten the tear staining under some control and Parker looks so much better- I too am afraid to let the hair grow long around the eye area. And by the way, I took Parker off of the Angels Eyes and am using a tablespoon of plain yogurt eery day- it seems to work on the yeast ! YEAH!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Poor, sweet Ollie. But he looks so cute.
I noticed in the photo that he has a tag and a bell on his neck. Do you keep this on him at all times? What type of collar do you use that doesn't get stuck in his hair?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Yes - I keep the bells on him cause I need to know when he is under our feet!! Have to say - never a problem with his collar and matting...just a 1/2inch leather collar with his name tag on it - but not on the hook on the collar cause he could reach it and chew it - put the circle hook on the collar and it is just enough out of his reach!!.

but I also have to say that he really doesn't mat....maybe because he is curly? does anyone have any input on that - he is 8 months = thick hair and doesn't mat - we brush him 3 times a week?????

Olliesmom

1 - 20 of 26 Posts