Havanese Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
"I AM the Brute Squad"
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
giggle... I did babble at Pam and beg to be put on your list. I realize that it is probably at minimum a year wait. Hopeful dreaming...

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Exactly this. :) It happened twice for me (I should have bought a lotto ticket).

My breeder has a long wait list as well, but we were lucky with our timing in meeting her when Denver's mom was pregnant. I drove out to an agility trial to meet some of her dogs (the moms owner competes, so I watched him run with his other 2 havs), and my breeder came and one of her dogs was plunked in my lap and that was it. LOL. As I was looking for an agility dog and both parents are titled in agility, the fit was perfect.

Then when I decided to get a second dog, I was expecting to wait a year (I didn't really want under the age of 12 months, but I knew her list was long). Instead she approached me a month later to discuss co-owning as this was her dream breeding and wanted to keep the sire's mini-me in her program but didn't want to have another male around (she was already keeping a female from this litter). Most of this breeding was to go to other breeders for the genetics, but she really wanted to keep Keeper for herself (the name was not by chance..lol). So now I have 2 much closer in age than expected. Lol.

It can happen. :)
I love this story ... and the names of your dogs! It was fun getting to "see" you at the virtual holiday party!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am also looking to reach out to a breeder and am hoping someone can explain the process. Once the puppies are born and you are contacted, are you able to meet the pups first and pick one? Is it first cone, first serve for the litter?
And sorry if this is a dumb question but does every litter (all dog breeds) have a runt?

·
Metrowest, MA
26,663 Posts
I am also looking to reach out to a breeder and am hoping someone can explain the process. Once the puppies are born and you are contacted, are you able to meet the pups first and pick one? Is it first come, first serve for the litter?
And sorry if this is a dumb question but does every litter (all dog breeds) have a runt?
Good breeders normally will have talked to each prospective family quite a bit, and while they will take your wishes in terms of gender into consideration as much as possible, and SOMETIMES color if they CAN, if they are a GOOD breeder, their biggest concern is going to be matching the puppy with the best personality for your family with you. So you PROBABLY won't have a lot of choice. Your choice is very likely to be "this puppy or we don't have the right puppy for you in this litter". SOMETIMES there is some wiggle room, but not always.

Particularly now, during Covid, it is highly variable how much time, if any, you will be able to spend with your puppy, in person, before you take him or her home. It's too bad, but it is understandable that breeders do not want large numbers of people in and out of their homes... for your sake AND theirs!

Be VERY careful of a breeder who lets you choose a puppy from pictures. This is NOT a breeder who is doing due diligence for her puppies OR her puppy buyers!

As far as "first picks" are concerned, the breeder gets "first pick" for her breeding program if she decides to keep one, and sometimes the owner of the stud dog (if he is owned by someone else) gets second pick. Sometimes a decision is made that certain puppies need to go to show homes, and those will be placed next. Other breeders place all or most of the puppies that they do not keep for their own breeding program in pet homes. There is NOTHING wrong with EITHER of these practices... it depends on the goals of the breeder for that particular litter.

No, it is rather unusual for a litter to have a "runt" in a litter when both parents have been properly health tested, and cared for prior to and during pregnancy. It can happen, but it is not at all common. There is often a size range among the puppies, just as there is among siblings in a human family, and that is fine. A petite girl who has been eating well, gaining weight on track and plays vigorously would not be considered a "runt" even if she is a bit smaller than her littermates. A"runt" would be an unthrifty puppy that has had trouble from the beginning. The breeder may have had a hard time getting that puppy to nurse and had to supplement feed it. Even after those first days, the puppy doesn't catch up with its siblings developmentally. It is NOT just a matter of size. A good breeder will probably want to hold a puppy like that back longer than the rest of the litter, giving it more time to mature and to have it thoroughly checked out physically, especially its heart and liver, before placing it with a family.

If you are offered a puppy that is TRULY a "runt" as opposed to simply a petite puppy, I would be very, VERY careful that you think that through carefully. It is POSSIBLE that the puppy will catch up and be fine, but it is also possible that there is an underlying condition causing that puppy to struggle. Be careful.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
There is an ebb, and flow to wait lists. Sometimes every one, as Pam goes down the list, is ready for one. Other times, a lot will have dropped off for various reasons, or the timing is not good. What we really need is a Wait List Ready, and a Not Ready Yet list.

Also, even when we say we don't place by color, when a person comes up on the list, they will have decided they only want one color choice. There's nothing simple to it.

It often takes a few weeks to get sorted out exactly who is getting a puppy, and that's before they know which puppy. Want a particular puppy when looking at few week old pictures-sorry, that's not going to work.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Whoa, I looked at the Starborn website and it seems that Tom and Pam have their hands full with more than 20 puppies!!!
:surprise:
Gorgeous puppies, I might add.
But that should put a dent in the Waiting Lists!

Janet

·
Metrowest, MA
26,663 Posts
Whoa, I looked at the Starborn website and it seems that Tom and Pam have their hands full with more than 20 puppies!!!
:surprise:
Gorgeous puppies, I might add.
But that should put a dent in the Waiting Lists!

Janet
One of the problems with having several bitches is that they tend to be like girls in the same dorm room... They all cycle together! So it's breed them all at once or not breed ANY of them for at least another 6 months. They do not nicely space them out for you! LOL!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for putting this question out there! I am quite green to all this and don’t want to appear so! Appreciate it!

·
Metrowest, MA
26,663 Posts
Thanks for putting this question out there! I am quite green to all this and don't want to appear so! Appreciate it!
Do NOT worry about being "green"! We ALL started there!!! :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for putting this question out there! I am quite green to all this and don't want to appear so! Appreciate it!
Lele, not sure if you saw this link but this was pretty helpful when I started out. https://www.havaneseforum.com/8-puppy-area/16008-things-look-reputable-breeder.html#/topics/16008

I started researching this breed about 6 months ago and fell in love. At first I thought I could find one to adopt but since this is a special breed, its extremely rare. I found out thru talking to people that puppy mills can disguise themselves as shelters online and are asking over $1000 adoption fee for a Havanese! That's when I decided to do my homework on good quality breeders who absolutely care about the health and wellbeing of their pup while raising them AND after they go to their forever homes.

I would say that if you definitely know this is the dog for you, like others said, do your research and get on a couple wait lists. There were periods in the beginning that were a little depressing for me to be honest where I wondered why aren't breeders replying back to me.. why didn't I sign up sooner.. I should've signed up sooner! etc.

I'm on a wait list currently and not sure what # I am on the list (honestly a little scared to ask) but know the time will come where I will realize it was worth the wait for my little one. Until then I watch youtube puppy videos or try to live vicariously thru some of the wonderful members here. 😃 Good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Lele, not sure if you saw this link but this was pretty helpful when I started out. https://www.havaneseforum.com/8-puppy-area/16008-things-look-reputable-breeder.html#/topics/16008

I started researching this breed about 6 months ago and fell in love. At first I thought I could find one to adopt but since this is a special breed, its extremely rare. I found out thru talking to people that puppy mills can disguise themselves as shelters online and are asking over $1000 adoption fee for a Havanese! That's when I decided to do my homework on good quality breeders who absolutely care about the health and wellbeing of their pup while raising them AND after they go to their forever homes.

I would say that if you definitely know this is the dog for you, like others said, do your research and get on a couple wait lists. There were periods in the beginning that were a little depressing for me to be honest where I wondered why aren't breeders replying back to me.. why didn't I sign up sooner.. I should've signed up sooner! etc.

I'm on a wait list currently and not sure what # I am on the list (honestly a little scared to ask) but know the time will come where I will realize it was worth the wait for my little one. Until then I watch youtube puppy videos or try to live vicariously thru some of the wonderful members here. 😃 Good luck!
Thanks for the encouragement, great tips and also that link, Lindam! I had not seen that! So much great info in here, I'm sure I haven't even scratched the surface. Everyone is so wonderful, it's like a family, and it gives me the warm & fuzzies. :grouphug: I am like obsessed now that we've decided on the breed. I am getting heck from my family for being on my iPad too much lately, haha, especially since I'm usually the one that's the internet police. :laugh2: I'm a night owl so I've been sneaking on very late. :wink:

·
Registered
17 Posts

Thanks for the encouragement, great tips and also that link, Lindam! I had not seen that! So much great info in here, I'm sure I haven't even scratched the surface. Everyone is so wonderful, it's like a family, and it gives me the warm & fuzzies.
I am like obsessed now that we've decided on the breed. I am getting heck from my family for being on my iPad too much lately, haha, especially since I'm usually the one that's the internet police.
I'm a night owl so I've been sneaking on very late.
OMG everyone is so wonderful here. I actually cringe at some of the dumb questions I've asked in this forum (and I'll likely have more) but you know what? ALL the responses I got were so helpful, never condescending, and always informative. A great group of people here!

I'm on a wait list too so can't wait until we all get our new babies and we post our own puppy pics and videos. 😍 Good luck in your search!

·
Arf! Arf!
2,758 Posts
OMG everyone is so wonderful here. I actually cringe at some of the dumb questions I've asked in this forum (and I'll likely have more) but you know what? ALL the responses I got were so helpful, never condescending, and always informative. A great group of people here!

I'm on a wait list too so can't wait until we all get our new babies and we post our own puppy pics and videos. 😍 Good luck in your search!
Well, I see we have another Havaholic here. It only gets worse once you have your furbaby! Havanese are not dogs, they become valued family members, adding to your quality of life! :grin2:

Ricky's Popi

21 - 36 of 36 Posts