Havanese Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you are going to have issues with this, but here goes;

This is a little secret all the show people know or should to get your dog to poop in the x pen before going into the show ring. Most of the dog handlers do it. I did it for many years on my boxers and even on Smarty when we were showing. As Galen has been my not so easy to House Train girl I did it to her 3 times last week in the area of the yard where we want the poop, we had a big party, and she has not had one accident in the house since.

I went to the internet typed in "Match dog poop" to see if it would come up and here it is.

How To Match Your Dog To Make It Poop

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/matching.html
Take one or two paper matches and put the sulfur tips briefly in your mouth to wet them.
Straddle your dog facing its butt.
Pull the tail out of the way and insert the now wet sulfur tips of the matches in your dog's anus, deep enough that just the ends of the matches are visible and hang out just a tiny bit.
Release the dog.
Usually the dog will start squatting almost immediately to expel the matches. If the dog doesn't, then you can repeat the steps above.
Do not insert more than 4 matches at a time. Rarely do you need to use 4 matches but some dogs are more stubborn than others. (I have never used more than 2)
When the dog squats to expel the matches, it will usually poop too. Don't forget to clean up after your dog.

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
You'd better hope your baby doesn't walk past an open flame. Bang! :pound:

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
Couldn't resist. :evil:

·
Cooper,Emma,Lily,Winston
2,018 Posts
:flame:

I've told that to people at work, and without fail, someone will ask if it works on people :attention:

Beverly

·
Marie and Bella
218 Posts
Wow - that is really interesting. I never knew there was a trick to it. I guess that would be good to try before getting on a long plane ride. I admit I don't think I would do it.

Thanks for sharing though. Any other trade secrets!

Marie

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Can you be arrested for practicing this on the streets?
LMBO !!!!! O.k., I was TRYING to stay serious, but Missy you just spoiled it. LOL :pound:

Sandi, could this in any way be risky? Just asking...

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
Yep! Great tip. I always keep matchsticks in my grooming bag now. After two different accidents in the show ring, I will never take my dog in the ring again without being sure they have eliminated. This method works great.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sandi, could this in any way be risky? Just asking...
If I thought for one minute there were any risks involved I would never do this to a dog. You wet the book match so the sulfur will give them the urge. I have never heard of a problem with it. I would not recommend making a habit of it.

·
Lynn
201 Posts
Well, alright....I'm going to ask.

Is this the flimsy matches in a small book, or the wooden matches in a box? Because I wood think that a wooden match would feel really bad to the dog - on the other hand - I can't imagine sticking in a flimsy one enough to do any good. And is the point of wetting the sulfur end just to make it go in easier?

I have heard of this before, and wondered about this, but never asked.

(clearly I have not attempted this)

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've never used it for potty training except for this time with Galen. It could be an aid but I would not want it to be something done daily. It is great for when you are in a hurry or know they have to go before getting in the car, on a plane, going into a show ring, etc.

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
I wouldn't use it for potty training, but for a non-show person, something like travel as Sandi indicated, would be a good reason.

I use the small wooden matches (the matches that are only an inch long) and I only use one.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.