Havanese Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did not use a crate for my first Havanese but plan to try to use one for my next pup. I have no clue. We penned my first Havanese (when he was a puppy) in the kitchen with his bed, toys, puppy pads,
food and water when we were unable to watch him. I don't think he liked it much because when he was older I would threaten him with "putting him in the kitchen" when he misbehaved. Bad behavior stopped immediately.
So now a crate.
What do you put in the crate? Just a pad for sleeping? Toys and food and water? Puppy pads? Do they go potty in the crate? When do you leave the door open and when do you shut it? Do you cover it in blankets at night? I'm really confused.
Appropos of nothing, I'm including a beautiful flower arrangement (although I took the pix when the flowers were kind of wilting) that the vet sent when my first Havi died. It was one of several flower arrangements we received, but notable for the "Havanese face" it included.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,703 Posts
From ShamaPapa:

Not the expert, but here is my take.

The crate should be their "den." Place only a bed inside. This is where they will want to live and sleep, so no pee pads or food or water. Although if you plan on leaving them in there for an extended period, then you might want to train them on a water bottle and hang it on the side of the crate. Keep the crate mostly covered to create a dark "den" atmosphere. Do not go into the crate yourself or let children go into the crate. This is their private "den." They will not purposely pee/poo in their private spaces. However, they are dogs, and they will roll in things and otherwise get messy, so check occasionally for cleanliness. You will need to wash the bedding sometimes.

Her royal highness loves her crate. She has dragged a few toys in there to be with her. But it is entirely her space. It is part of a larger ex-pen area that includes a food dish and water dish so there is no need to place either in the crate.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. So it is really kind of a dog bed. When do you shut them in the crate? Seems kind of cruel to me. And can you move the crate to your bedroom at night or should you leave it in one place?

·
Metrowest, MA
30,816 Posts
I did not use a crate for my first Havanese but plan to try to use one for my next pup. I have no clue. We penned my first Havanese (when he was a puppy) in the kitchen with his bed, toys, puppy pads,
food and water when we were unable to watch him. I don't think he liked it much because when he was older I would threaten him with "putting him in the kitchen" when he misbehaved. Bad behavior stopped immediately.
So now a crate.
What do you put in the crate? Just a pad for sleeping? Toys and food and water? Puppy pads? Do they go potty in the crate? When do you leave the door open and when do you shut it? Do you cover it in blankets at night? I'm really confused.
Appropos of nothing, I'm including a beautiful flower arrangement (although I took the pix when the flowers were kind of wilting) that the vet sent when my first Havi died. It was one of several flower arrangements we received, but notable for the "Havanese face" it included.
Awww! What a SWEET remembrance from your vet!!! 💕

YOU decide how often and when you want to use a crate ONCE they are "crate trained". Some people, especially with just one dog, don't use them much at all in the house once the dog is an adult, and there is NOTHING wrong with that. I do think it is a disservice to the dog not to teach them to crate quietly and happily, though, for their own sake, so I am glad you re doing it! Sooner or later, the dog will most likely need to be crated. At the vet, a groomer, when boarded, and they should ALWAYS be crated in the car. So it is definitely important that they be accustomed to it, even if you don't plan to use it much at home!

In our house, most of our dogs sleep in crates over night. They all EAT in their crates, so that they all have a safe, quiet place without competition. (obviously not an issue in a one-dog-home!) Because we go to training and trials and shows several times a week, it is also very important that they view their crates as a pleasant place to hang out and relax when it is not their turn. I keep my show trolley (which you probably won't have, but it's the concept!) set up all the time, and Ducky, preferentially, chooses it as a nap place very often during the day. While the donut beds scattered throughout the house are either "first dibs" or communal, this trolley berth is HIS, and he knows no one will bother him here!!!
Houseplant Product Shopping cart Plant Wheel

A crate should only be big enough for the puppy to stand up, lie down and turn around. If they are not a bedding-destroyer, a nice fluffy bed is fine. If they destroy nice beds, give them a folded towel. If thy even chew those up... they may have to make do with the bare floor of the crate until they can be trusted! No food or water. While you are training your puppy, a crate should be used for short-term confinement during the day time, and CERTAINLY no potty!!! A dog should NEVER be encouraged to potty in/near their bed!!! You can give them a Stuffed animal to cuddle with, or a chew if it helps them settle. No toys that would encourage them to "play". This is like putting your toddler down for bed time or a nap.

While training your puppy, a crate should mostly be used for short-term confinement during the day (for instance, nap time) and for bed time over night. For longer periods, when you need to leave the house for more than an hour or two, the ex-pen is more appropriate, because it gives them access to an appropriate potty, water, a few toys, and more room to move around.

As far as covering it is concerned, if you use a metal wire crate, covering it will certainly make it more cosy. I prefer plastic crates, and those usually don't need to be covered. I do make an exception in the case of Ducky's night time crate. That sits on top of Kodi's crate, at window height, beside our bed, near a window that we crack open at night. So I do keep a blanket over his, just to protect him from drafts. But there is no "wrong or right" as far as covering crates. Play with it, and do what seems more comfortable for you and your pup. It sit is somewhat climate dependent and somewhat individual preference!

·
Metrowest, MA
30,816 Posts
From ShamaPapa:
However, they are dogs, and they will roll in things and otherwise get messy, so check occasionally for cleanliness. You will need to wash the bedding sometimes.
If you make it a habit to wash/change crate pads when you wash the dog, you will set up a very good schedule! I hate putting a clean dog in a dirty bed!

·
Metrowest, MA
30,816 Posts
Thanks. So it is really kind of a dog bed. When do you shut them in the crate? Seems kind of cruel to me. And can you move the crate to your bedroom at night or should you leave it in one place?

It is not at all cruel if the dog is properly trained/accustomed to it!!! In fact, if you do not latch Kodi's crate at night, he will come in and out of it and grumble at you until you get up and latch the door for him! LOL! (none of the others are QUITE that particular! LOL!)

Reactions: ShamaMama

·
Metrowest, MA
30,816 Posts
We only use crates for them to sleep in.
You'd go broke if you had what we do... A separate set for EACH dog for:

The bedroom (sleeping)
The dining room (eating)
The car (every day travel... though we've started having them double up in the Variocage)
The truck (camping)
The trailer (so we don't have to move them in and out of the truck daily)
Collapsible ones (for trials and training)
Oh, and the show trolley... (New, probably not a "necessity"... the WonderWheeler did the job for a lot less money, but this gal is loving it!!! :ROFLMAO: 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've only ever used the crate for overnight sleeping when we all go to bed. Piper naps wherever throughout the day (she usually chooses next to us on the couch or a dog bed by our feet). I cover her crate at night for her with a sheet to keep it dark and cozy - she always goes right in without a peep when we all go to bed (her crate is in our bedroom).

When we leave the house she gets a bigger ex-pen with crate attached. Inside the ex-pen are safe toys, water, another dog bed and her litter box. Based on the camera i check these things are ignored most of the time and she chooses to just snooze in the attached crate when we're gone. I'd actually like to start transitioning to giving her the run of the apartment when we leave (like how she can go anywhere unsupervised when we're home) because she's not destructive and has been reliably housetrained since 7 months (she is 16 months now), but the other part of me is like "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

·
Premium Member
3,703 Posts
From ShamaPapa:

Her Royal Highness is never locked into her crate at home. As it is part of her "apartment" set-up, she uses it mostly for sleeping or getting away from us (she is well aware that we will not go into or reach into her crate). She will come out on command when necessary so we don't need to reach in.

Her "apartment" (ex-pen with crate set-up, see below but taken a few years ago. Her apartment is much more plush now - she is spoiled!) is in our kitchen tucked under the island. This is where she sleeps at night and spends her time when we are working or have to go somewhere. She loves her little alleyway beside the crate!

Wood Pet supply Flooring Floor Hardwood

Attachments

·
Registered
711 Posts
Shadow has 2 crates that he uses. One is smaller and that's were he stays when I am gone. It's in the master bath. He frequently goes in there for naps and to chew on his favorite toy a few times a day if I am doing something close by.
His larger crate is a few feet from my bed. He sleeps there at night after cuddling in bed for awhile.
Both crates are VariKennels. I don't have any water in either crate. He doesn't need water while sleeping and during the day if I am out, it is usually for 1-2 hours at a time. I do give him a few kernels of food in a little bowl when I am going out and leave the radio on for him.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awww! What a SWEET remembrance from your vet!!! 💕

YOU decide how often and when you want to use a crate ONCE they are "crate trained". Some people, especially with just one dog, don't use them much at all in the house once the dog is an adult, and there is NOTHING wrong with that. I do think it is a disservice to the dog not to teach them to crate quietly and happily, though, for their own sake, so I am glad you re doing it! Sooner or later, the dog will most likely need to be crated. At the vet, a groomer, when boarded, and they should ALWAYS be crated in the car. So it is definitely important that they be accustomed to it, even if you don't plan to use it much at home!

In our house, most of our dogs sleep in crates over night. They all EAT in their crates, so that they all have a safe, quiet place without competition. (obviously not an issue in a one-dog-home!) Because we go to training and trials and shows several times a week, it is also very important that they view their crates as a pleasant place to hang out and relax when it is not their turn. I keep my show trolley (which you probably won't have, but it's the concept!) set up all the time, and Ducky, preferentially, chooses it as a nap place very often during the day. While the donut beds scattered throughout the house are either "first dibs" or communal, this trolley berth is HIS, and he knows no one will bother him here!!!
View attachment 177812

A crate should only be big enough for the puppy to stand up, lie down and turn around. If they are not a bedding-destroyer, a nice fluffy bed is fine. If they destroy nice beds, give them a folded towel. If thy even chew those up... they may have to make do with the bare floor of the crate until they can be trusted! No food or water. While you are training your puppy, a crate should be used for short-term confinement during the day time, and CERTAINLY no potty!!! A dog should NEVER be encouraged to potty in/near their bed!!! You can give them a Stuffed animal to cuddle with, or a chew if it helps them settle. No toys that would encourage them to "play". This is like putting your toddler down for bed time or a nap.

While training your puppy, a crate should mostly be used for short-term confinement during the day (for instance, nap time) and for bed time over night. For longer periods, when you need to leave the house for more than an hour or two, the ex-pen is more appropriate, because it gives them access to an appropriate potty, water, a few toys, and more room to move around.

As far as covering it is concerned, if you use a metal wire crate, covering it will certainly make it more cosy. I prefer plastic crates, and those usually don't need to be covered. I do make an exception in the case of Ducky's night time crate. That sits on top of Kodi's crate, at window height, beside our bed, near a window that we crack open at night. So I do keep a blanket over his, just to protect him from drafts. But there is no "wrong or right" as far as covering crates. Play with it, and do what seems more comfortable for you and your pup. It sit is somewhat climate dependent and somewhat individual preference!
Thanks for this. Can pup be baby-gated into the kitchen (different kitchen this time, it's combined with a small family-TV room and is the room we most often hang around in) instead of an ex-pen?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From ShamaPapa:

Her Royal Highness is never locked into her crate at home. As it is part of her "apartment" set-up, she uses it mostly for sleeping or getting away from us (she is well aware that we will not go into or reach into her crate). She will come out on command when necessary so we don't need to reach in.

Her "apartment" (ex-pen with crate set-up, see below but taken a few years ago. Her apartment is much more plush now - she is spoiled!) is in our kitchen tucked under the island. This is where she sleeps at night and spends her time when we are working or have to go somewhere. She loves her little alleyway beside the crate!

View attachment 177815

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice set up! I would hope to eventually give the dog the run or the house when we are not home. Don't know when that will happen, though, but I guess not until he's more than a year old.

·
Metrowest, MA
30,816 Posts
From ShamaPapa:

View attachment 177815
The only problem with this arrangement is that Shama is a VERY good girl not to use the crate as an escape route… many puppies learn that very early, and take full advantage! (I think Ducky was about 6 weeks old in this photo… showing his litter mates how to do it! :ROFLMAO:
Vertebrate Fence Dog breed Grass Wire fencing

·
Registered
717 Posts
The only problem with this arrangement is that Shama is a VERY good girl not to use the crate as an escape route… many puppies learn that very early, and take full advantage! (I think Ducky was about 6 weeks old in this photo… showing his litter mates how to do it! :ROFLMAO:
View attachment 177819
Lol so true! We put the crate against a wall in the x-pen bc Jo is a Billy goat and would have climbed out in a second! The top of the crate was her very favorite place to nap for quite a while too

·
Registered
717 Posts
Thanks for this. Can pup be baby-gated into the kitchen (different kitchen this time, it's combined with a small family-TV room and is the room we most often hang around in) instead of an ex-pen?
The x-pen is helpful to start because it helps them learn where to potty…. We started with ours just big enough for the crate, a bed, and a potty tray, so she has no space for accidents, and slowly made it bigger. Eventually a gated off kitchen setup is great, but until they’re reliably understanding that they’re supposed to use the potty tray, it’s likely inviting accidents.

·
Metrowest, MA
30,816 Posts
Nice set up! I would hope to eventually give the dog the run or the house when we are not home. Don't know when that will happen, though, but I guess not until he's more than a year old.
A couple of things to consider before deciding to let your dog have “the run of the house” while you are gone. First, if you were to watch them, you would probably find that they mostly used a very small part of the house, settled down and slept most of the time you were gone. Dogs are crepuscular animals, meaning that they are instinctively most active at dawn and dusk, sleeping much of the rest of the time.

Second, in the event that there were to be a fire in your home, it is much easier for fire fighters to find and save a dog that is in a known location in the home that they can find quickly, rather than searching throughout a smoke filled house, looking under beds for a terrified small dog. For this reason, my dogs are confined to my office with a potty box and water when we are out. At 13 months, Ducky is still in a pen inside the office. The photo below was taken before Ducky’s Pen was set up.
Property Window Blue Wood Picture frame

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A couple of things to consider before deciding to let your dog have “the run of the house” while you are gone. First, if you were to watch them, you would probably find that they mostly used a very small part of the house, settled down and slept most of the time you were gone. Dogs are crepuscular animals, meaning that they are instinctively most active at dawn and dusk, sleeping much of the rest of the time.

Second, in the event that there were to be a fire in your home, it is much easier for fire fighters to find and save a dog that is in a known location in the home that they can find quickly, rather than searching throughout a smoke filled house, looking under beds for a terrified small dog. For this reason, my dogs are confined to my office with a potty box and water when we are out. At 13 months, Ducky is still in a pen inside the office. The photo below was taken before Ducky’s Pen was set up.
View attachment 177820
Thanks. That makes a lot of sense.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts