Havanese Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cash has picked up barking at things outside the door. But he doesn't just bark he sounds like a hound dog.. ruff ruff rrrrrrruuuuuuuuuooooof! anyone else's HAV sound like a much bigger dog!!! (oh well, we did weigh him today and he is 19 lbs at almost a year- my big little dog)

·
Riley & Monte's mom
5,579 Posts
LOL Riley howls, but only for his daddy... Never for mommy
Wow Cash is getting to be a big boy, Monte's almost 9 months and still only 9 lbs. but not afraid to let you know how he feels.

·
Squirt's Mom
108 Posts
Squirt howls when I am not here. I've never heard her but hubby has told me about it. Said he was amazed such a big dog sound could come of such a little dog (Squirt is full grown and weighs 4.5 pounds).

·
Biscuit's mom
2,518 Posts
Yes, Biscuit definitely sounds like a much bigger dog. When he was a tiny puppy the first night we brought him home he howled in the ex-pen like an enormous hound dog. We simply couldn't believe it. He doesn't howl much anymore but his bark is loud, deep, and resonant.

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
How funny - my guys really dont howl, they just bark.. That must have been something to hear - you probably wondered who was in your house!

Oh my, this is the first time that I have seen Squirt - what a doll!!!!!!

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you know Cash's is more of a long bark than a howl. two ruff's and then an extended ruuuoooooooofffff from deep in his throat but I don't think his head goes back (and then he repeats several times --oy vey) When he was little and first home with us if we left him in he ex pen he would make this ungodly, certainly not dog like screech--- it sounded like a cat in heat or an orangatang of something- it was totally nothing I had heard before on this planet. I am really glad he found his real voice --LOL.

When Jasper was little he was an incredibly quiet dog. We didn't hear him bark until he was 6 months --just little grunts and groans. But if we came home from having left him for a bit and had to run to the bathroom for a minute- he would let out one, and only one, long, mournful, head back, wolf in the night Howl. It was a howl that broke your heart. I haven't heard him howl since he was 6 months old. but boy he can bark now.

·
Tori's mom
4,988 Posts
Isn't it amazing that such a loud sound can come from such a tiny body? Tori isn't howling but, she barks at any unfamiliar sound or if she's startled by something. Her bark is so much bigger than you'd expect from such a sweet, tiny (2.9 lb) little girl.

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
I am with you Missy, Oreo has the LOUDEST bark for a 10lb boy. I think he has a louder bark than all the mid to large dogs I have had. Today we went to the vet and he came face to face with the BIGGEST golden doodle I have ever seen! Well, I am sure all of you can guess what Oreo did ;) He figured he was going to scare this big monster away by letting out the loudest most annoying barks he could. The other dog was wonderfully a good sport and totally ignored Oreo. Oreo got brave enough for a sniff, but then the moment the other dog turned to look at him....He got a rapid succession of : RU-RU-RU-RUFF, RU-RU-RU-RUFF, RU-RU-RU-RUFF-RUFF!! .....:(

·
Lincoln and Scout's Mom
3,650 Posts
When Jasper was little he was an incredibly quiet dog. We didn't hear him bark until he was 6 months --just little grunts and groans. But if we came home from having left him for a bit and had to run to the bathroom for a minute- he would let out one, and only one, long, mournful, head back, wolf in the night Howl. It was a howl that broke your heart. I haven't heard him howl since he was 6 months old. but boy he can bark now.
Missy, I know how that howl can break your heart! Poor Jasper!

Lincoln has only howled twice in his life....once when he was a puppy, he was in the living room alone one evening - maybe he though he was abandoned! He let out this ODD sounding howl and we all came running from the other parts of the house to see what was with him! The other time was when we all left the house, just after we had gotten Scout. I had to take Scout with me too. My older son was alone with Lincoln and said he sat at the door and let out a weird HOWL after we'd all left.

Poor baby!

Scout hasn't howled yet, ever.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have two Havanese dogs: one aged 6 and the newer one 15 months. My older dog has a good bark, but the younger one has a howl that sounds like either a cow or a hound dog baying at the moon. Both are adorable, but the howling on the younger one took me initially by surprise. They are great dogs!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts