Havanese Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 41/2 month old Coco has a good appetite maybe too good my vet say she is good right now but the way see eats I'm starting to worry I give her the right amount of food three times a day with just a few treats she still looks for more i don't want to over feed or for her to get over weight because she boarder line with her knees
What should I do

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She weighs 8 lbs
I cup per day of daimond dry food for small breed puppy
(I give her 1/3 cup three times a day)

·
Julie
1,441 Posts
I have one like that. She always acts like she is starving. She has gotten sick from eating too much and still acts like she hasn't eaten in a week! Resist the temptation to overfed no matter how cute that face is and how much they beg :)

·
"I AM the Brute Squad"
2,225 Posts
Jack is like that. Always hopeful. He has bad legs and has to be kept lean. Don't fall for those pleading eyes. They are lying. ;)

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Yes, marrow bones with the most of the marrow scraped out (fat and calories) are a great treat.

one thing i might suggest is trying to satisfy her with more protein.

My Cash who is now six was and still is hungry most of the time...he just loves to eat... he went from 5lbs at 9 weeks to 12lbs at 4 months to 17 at 9 months... and then when he was just over a year he was whopping 24 lbs. We fed him just what we were supposed to--- but he was always ravenous!!!! We switched to raw and he has slimmed down to 18 lbs which is perfect for him (he is a big Hav) But more importantly, he is no longer, crazy, trolling the floor for food constantly, ravenous-- which is how he was on kibble. For Cash, I think it was number of things...carb intolerance, allergies...but I think some dogs just need more good quality protein.

good luck. and other advice... nip it now while he young. distract him with games that involve fun not food.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Lily is 3 years old and weighs 11 pounds. I feed her 1/4 cup of grain free food in the morning and the same at night. She get a bright bite breath chew every day and 2 or three small pieces of dehydrated chicken. No people food and no empty calorie treats. If we go out for the evening she gets a thick marrow bone with all the marrow removed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts