Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is turning out to be a not too terrific weekend and it's only half over. I've just come back from hours at the emergency vet with Milo. Sometime around 6 p.m. he slithered under my chair with the other little ones right on his tail. I heard a lot of clopping around and I looked down and said "what's going on?" I saw Milo slapping frantically at the floor with all fours and when I tried to get him up he was stiff as a board and shaking like a leaf. It was some kind of seizure. If I tell you I thought I'd fall to the floor myself, I'm not kidding. It was the scariest thing I've seen in years.

I kept replaying what had happened over the past couple of hours. They had just come in shortly before from a romp in the yard. I did catch him with something in his mouth but he swallowed it before I could get to him. He seemed fine. I had gotten home from an Open House and had stopped to pick up something to eat on the way home. He had a few pieces of a toasted bialy with butter. I also recently bought a new water filter, a different sort of one that was attached to the faucet but the water, when filtered is diverted through a large filter that sits on the counter and dispenses the water.

Till I found a place (why do these things always happen when the vet isn't in?), I thought I'd have a heart attack. By the time I was ready to leave for the vet, he was better but I was afraid not to go lest it be something that would get him later. They did blood work, most of which was normal. Only a few values were high, his amylase was 1614, with normally range 500-1500. His LIPA was 1998 (normal rance 200-1800) and his Cl, at 122 was the highest of normal range (109-122).

They didn't know what was wrong and suggested leaving him overnight in case he had another seizure. I chose to take him home, agreeing to bring him back if anything goes wrong.

So, please say a little prayer for my little boy that he is okay. The vet seemed to think he was just going to have seizures and I should start him on medication. Not until and unless I know more.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Oh my gosh how scary! I will be saying prayers for both of you. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought he got into some poisonous substance. It's terrifying not knowing. I wonder if either of us will sleep tonight. I'm scared to death.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am so sorry to hear what Milo (and you!) are going through. How absolutely scary! I will certainly pray for him, you and the vet that they find what they need to.

You mentioned a new water filter - is it merely a filter or does it change the pH of the water? If it does, I don't know if that would be an issue but perhaps. It is for me which is why I bring it up.

Take care of yourself and special thoughts for Milo.

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as I know it's just a filter. I bought it quite awhile ago on HSN. Just never opened it before now. I'm going to be questioning everything now.

Oh, and BTW, the vet said his neurological exam was normal. His liver and kidney function, based upon the tests was all normal.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Oh Geri, I do hope they find what caused the seizure. I'm saying a prayer for Milo right now. Keep us informed.

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much. I so believe in the power of prayer. One of my problems now, past the terror that it will happen again, is, if I don't know what happened, how do I know what to avoid?

·
Registered
907 Posts
So sorry to hear about your horrifying experience, Geri! I'll be praying that you and Milo have a quiet, uneventful night, and that you get answers and a resolution to this issue very soon. Let us know when you know! Hugs to you both!

·
Registered
30 Posts
As far as I know it's just a filter. I bought it quite awhile ago on HSN. Just never opened it before now. I'm going to be questioning everything now.

Oh, and BTW, the vet said his neurological exam was normal. His liver and kidney function, based upon the tests was all normal.
It is probably just a filter but check it just to be sure. Better safe . . .

Good news about the neuro exam. With everything so normal, it is hard to rest easy, I know. If only they could tell you what was wrong.

·
Gryff and Jinx Mommy
2,346 Posts
Wow, how terribly scary for you and Milo. I hope they find out what happened and certainly hope it never happens again.

·
Registered
332 Posts
That must have been so frightening Geri, I am so sorry to hear that happened.

From what I know about water filters, it was most likely not the culprit--unless the filter media had been treated with some sort chemical. Maybe he got a poisonous mushroom in his mouth?

We will be thinking good thoughts for you guys. :)

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks everyone. I'm relaxing on the bed, watching Milo breathe. Everything seems normal. I never thought of the possibility of a poison mushroom. I have had mushrooms in the backyard before. I haven't looked lately. He's never eaten one before, to my knowledge.

The not knowing is scary.

·
Gucci's mom
9,378 Posts
Geri!!! :grouphug: OMgosh, I know you were freaking out, I can only imagine.

I will say prayers and send lots of healing vibes and healing hugs your way, I do feel some comfort hearing that the vet said the lab work looked fairly normal, and he was acting fine.

I have never seen a dog have a seizure before, but I know you'll follow up on that and keep a close eye.

This time of year you have to be careful with everyone putting all kinds of chemicals on their lawns, especially on the weekend..I can just walk outside and smell all the crap, fertilizer, weed/grass killer, etc., those chemicals can make them sick, too. It could be so many different things :(

We'll be thinking about you and I hope everything is okay, keep the lil' guy close tonight :kiss:

Kara

·
Registered
332 Posts
Yeah for some reason when I hear dog-seizure it makes me think of some kind of poison that would affect the nerves in the brain. If he doesnt have a seizure disorder it seems likely he ingested something. Not knowing and just waiting must be so hard. Hang in there..

·
Tucker 2007-2020
6,275 Posts
Oh, Geri, how terrifying! I hope both of you can sleep, and that it doesn't happen again!

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The vet said something funny to me. He said most people hope it's some sort of poisonous thing they ate, but it's more likely he has a seizure problem. It somehow doesn't seem to fit. He's been totally normal all of his life. Nothing even remotely like this has ever happened before . . . and it happened right after I caught him chewing on something in the backyard.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The vet said something funny to me. He said most people hope it's some sort of poisonous thing they ate, but it's more likely he has a seizure problem. It somehow doesn't seem to fit. He's been totally normal all of his life. Nothing even remotely like this has ever happened before . . . and it happened right after I caught him chewing on something in the backyard.
How old is Milo?

I hope you get some rest tonight. Since it has never happened before and if it was something Milo ingested, he will probably be fine, certainly for tonight.

I've never seen a dog go through a seizure. I'm sure it is terrifying. But you need to try to find a way to relax tonight so Milo can feel that in you. Hold him, comfort him (and you). Put your hands on him and just allow yourself to feel that he is okay. Take a deep breath. You have done everything you can and it doesn't sound like the vet is particularly worried or he never would have let he two of you go home together. Tonight, it is all okay. Tomorrow you can decide if there is anything else you need to do. Besides, I believe you have a birthday to celebrate tomorrow, right?

You and Milo remain in my prayers.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Oh my gosh!!!! Poor Milo, and poor you! I really hope he is OK.

I don't have experience with seizures in dogs, but I had a bunny one who had seizures. I'm not sure if different seizures make animals behave in different ways, but my bunny behaved completely different from what you described.

When he had a seizure, his eyes would roll back in his head, he would fall over to one side, and his whole body would sort of twitch. Not really hard enough that it would have made much of a slapping noise on the floor, though. And when I would pick him up, he would be completely limp. So much so that I would have to support his head so I didn't hurt his tiny neck.

His seizures started when he was about 4-5 months old, and once they started, he only lived about another 3 months or so. I have a hard time understanding how that sort of problem could start at this late stage. I would think signs (of seizures) would have shown up as a puppy.

Please keep us posted!

1 - 20 of 93 Posts