Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Casper and Missy
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has bought a Havanese dog from Hungary? I would love to hear from someone who knows about breeders in Hungray. Why do our breeders here import dogs from Hungary?

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
As in this country, there are good and bad breeders in Hungary too. Many dogs in pet stores come from Hungary. There are good breeders in Hungary too. Sometimes breeders here are importing to get new "blood" in their lines. Like the Cuban lines. Here in the U.S. we can't import from Cuba, but in Hungary they can.

·
Yoda
1,210 Posts
I have also heard but how true I am not sure. AKC is not excepting the imported dogs so you can not reg . threw AKC has any one herd of this ?

·
Casper and Missy
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The AKC does register these dogs, if you go to the AKC site they have a page on registry services for imported dogs.

·
Yoda
1,210 Posts
The only reason why I ask I know of a breeder that is or was saling some nice puppys that just found out that they where not going to let people reg imported dogs to the AKC its something that just started or getting ready to start. I will ask the breeder that told me this.He is a known breeder . The puppys that he had he was planing on showing them but he said he cant not since AKC will not let him reg, out of country dogs.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Who is importing them? Most of the dogs from Hungary are coming in at auction and being sold to the puppy mills. I think an occasional breeder may import a dog (I have one from Germany and one from England) but only to expand our lines a little. I don't think there is much health testing going on in Hungary and the bulk of the dogs are going to backyard breeders, brokers and mills. The auctions are bringing them in by the cart load. My imports are AKC registered but it involves a little more paperwork. At AKC it is all about the Stud Book and many imports cannot be proven to be Havanese. Hence AKC won't register them. Russia does not recognise the Havanese but I have heard of Russian Havanese imports. So how would you know??????

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Hi
I just recently meet someone who had bought a dog from Hungary and to me it seemed like they thought it was quite a kudo .. Like this particular dog came from royalty and mine was of the Heinz variety ..Her Daddy really puffed out his chest when he told me about her .. . I did not know anything about them coming from there but just said Congratulations. I sure she is a wonderful dog ..
I do know there are breeders in the Netherlands and their dogs are well respected . The dogs are larger than the ones here in the states . Some of them weigh up to 22 pounds ..
I have a friend who lives in the Netherlands and at one point I was thinking of going there to get a dog ..
I am curious if Canadian Breeders can buy dogs from Cuba . Just curious ..
The good news so far and I am just asking you breeders who log on because you are my source of information is that they are not breeding tea cup Havanese and really creating even more problems and another bad reputation for health issues ....

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Don't know anything about Hungary. But FYI I did find Russian Havs that they call Bolanka. I know one breeder that breeds them. They are registered under rare breeds and need to get a larger number in US to register with the AKC. Just thought I would share..........Don't know a lot though.

Oops. I meant to say Russian Bolonka which are similar to Havs. They are a separate breed though. Thanks Julia for noticing that.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Havlady
I agree with you. I have been to 3 local pet stores and they brag that teir Havs are imported from Hungary. Also, we have a couple of people on Long Island who advertise in the newspaper. When you call them, they will tell you they do not breed, but the puppies are imported.

Can anyone tell me what happens to the dogs that do not sell at a pet store? Or don't I want to know??? No one can ever give me an answer.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Thanks Julia. I guess I said that wrong, Russian Havs. I know that Bolonkas are a different breed but I guess I never heard of Havs from Russia. I think it was Joan that brought up Russia doesn't recognize the Havanese. So, I just wanted to note about the Bolonka. It seems to me that if you are not careful, there are other breeds that remind you of the Havanese but are really not. I bet you people try to pass them off as Havs.

I do see now that in the book "The Havanese" they point out the gene pool of the Havanese expanded in this decade because of inports from Russia and Hungrary. Hav were registered in Hungary for 10 years before they were accepted by the AKC. Interesting..........The book does warn that many Russian bred Havs are not eligible for AKC (they are sent mostly to puppy mills).

I guess you really have to do your research especially when looking out of the US.

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,362 Posts
Rita,

A friend of mine fell in love with the Havs after she met Bugsy and started to look for a Havanese breeder without consulting me first. She almost ended up with a Havanese that was bread from mom and dad that came from Russia, but luckily decided against the puppy. Now she is getting a puppy from a breeder in Souther California (that's where she lives) that does all the health testing, shows her dogs and is involved in the local Havanese club.

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
Most of them are sold in pet stores. One place in Manhattan sells them for $4000. There have been some good dogs that came out of Hungary but I only know of good ones from one breeder there, but of course that doesn't mean that there aren't more. It's been said that more are bred there than are spayed. Some folks went there to get some DNA in case there were any without some of the blood we have mixed in with ours. I THINK it turns out there weren't any. Being from Hungary is neither necessarily a good or bad thing. The breeder has to know what they are doing. But if I had money to bet on puppies from there or here being more healthy overall I wouldn't bet against us. The biggest reason they are imported from there is that they are cheap and people here will buy them.

Havanese were bred here a lot longer than 10 years before they were recognized by the AKC. AKC is relatively new for the breed. AKC doesn't recognize Cuba for acceptance even though that's actually the country of origin. AKC lists country of origin as "Mediterranian". Some dogs have been imported into Hungary from Cuba and their offspring registered with AKC after importing here. That's the only way the genepool has been expanded. Some of these people know and care about what they are doing. Sadly, the majority of the numbers coming in here are not these people.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I just wondered why get a dog from all the way from Hungray when there are alot here? And some breeders don't fly puppies so how do the get from Hungary? Would it not be along trip for a dog?[/QUOTE]

Because most of those breeders will sell dogs/bitches with full breeding rights and no strings. Which by the way isn't improving the breed is it?

·
Yoda
1,210 Posts
The not reg with AKC dogs from out of country is happening this year if I understood him right this is why he can show 2 of his puppys and some other ones too. This is what he was told by AKC and these dogs came from Cuba I was just wondering if any one else has heard of this??

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Bolognese are a rare breed from Italy. Bolonkas are a rare breed from Russia. They both are believed to have ancestry to the Bichon family though. Gets confusing............:)

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Dog's from Cuba can't be AKC registered.
I think Cuban Havs are eligible for registration with the CKC, here in Canada, though, right? Not too sure, but I think I've read about some breeders getting a Cuban dam or sire and breeding.

I had considered the Bolognese at one time, but I love the variety of colors and personalities of the Havanese. :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts