Havanese Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short our gate was left open momentarily today while we were outside playing and someone thought that Ernie had escaped. He isn't currently wearing a collar of any sort and this was just the kick in the butt I needed to buy one! I was frantic running through our neighborhood, yelling, shaking his bag of food before that same someone realized Ernie was in fact still in the yard 馃槄!! It was nuts and to be honest I'm still recovering, regardless of the fact that we found him in about 5 minutes, it felt like MUCH longer. Ernie was also quite shaken up - probably from hearing me run around yelling for him like a crazy lol.

I'm thinking about a rolled leather collar ideally with a name plate. I've never purchased this type of collar and I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions. I'm thinking I will probably need to keep this one him throughout the day since he/we are in and out so much.

Premium Member
Long story short our gate was left open momentarily today while we were outside playing and someone thought that Ernie had escaped. He isn't currently wearing a collar of any sort and this was just the kick in the butt I needed to buy one! I was frantic running through our neighborhood, yelling, shaking his bag of food before that same someone realized Ernie was in fact still in the yard 馃槄!! It was nuts and to be honest I'm still recovering, regardless of the fact that we found him in about 5 minutes, it felt like MUCH longer. Ernie was also quite shaken up - probably from hearing me run around yelling for him like a crazy lol.

I'm thinking about a rolled leather collar ideally with a name plate. I've never purchased this type of collar and I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions. I'm thinking I will probably need to keep this one him throughout the day since he/we are in and out so much.

I hear ya! Had the same worries. Bought collars and cute tags. But I soon gave up the collar because Patti's in the house most of the time and a collar will mat their hair. Patti is micro-chipped and if she ever gets away from me I hope she will go to someone and they'll check.

Now that Patti is older I don't think she would run off. As a puppy a couple of times she jumped out of the car unexpectedly. I opened the back end of the SUV to put in groceries and she darted out. Another time I was picking up a take out and when I opened the door she jumped and ran down our local small town city sidewalk passing store fronts.

I was running after her afraid Yelling! Patti! Stop! and all kinds of things she didn't understand at her age. I was afraid she might dart into the street. A lady coming out of the store got on the other side and Patti finally stopped at the next intersection.

She's now secured in the car when we take her and I don't think she would do that again. She's good at Coming when called ... especially when I Yell! WANT CHICKEN!

I've leaned running after them only creates a game of - Catch Me If You Can, a race you can't win. So, I've learned if she leaps out the door I go backside and Call Her or I walk the other way and Call Her. Works every time.

So far my method hasn't been tested against her chasing a rabbit or deer who might win her attention.

Registered

I can only imagine how freaked out you were when you thought Ernie was loose! I'm glad it was a false alarm.

I ordered a collar from Leather Dog Collars based on @mudpuppymama's recommendation for a leather collar with an ID tag that doesn't dangle. I like it but have only put it on Mando once (we just got him last week) so I don't know if it'll mat his puppy coat yet.

Premium Member
My other concern about collars other than matted hair was it catching on something as Patti darts and jumps around. As a puppy it was amazing how she zipped and jumped around. At three-years-old she's still doing the same things. We have a fenced yard and she's in and out throughout the day and I don't have eyes on her every moment she's there or in the house for that matter. Now that I think about it I don't think I've ever had a dog that wore a collar.

A 24/7 collar might work with short hair cuts with frequent combing in those areas.

Registered
My other concern about collars other than matted hair was it catching on something as Patti darts and jumps around. As a puppy it was amazing how she zipped and jumped around. At three-years-old she's still doing the same things. We have a fenced yard and she's in and out throughout the day and I don't have eyes on her every moment she's there or in the house for that matter. Now that I think about it I don't think I've every had a dog that wore a collar.

A 24/7 collar might work with short hair cuts with frequent combing in those areas.
Perry wears his 24/7 (I want his ID tag on him at all times in case anything happens and he gets out, not just when I think/ plan to take him outside.) There are so many opinions on that. He just has a flat collar (with a flat tag) - but he's in a short puppy cut and we've never had matting problems (and I definitely don't comb it out very often - even when he's about 10 weeks out from a hair cut (he does start with a very short puppy cut - even in the winter because he wears his fleece all winter).

There are a lot of different opinions on 24/7 collar or not - I weighed the risks and decided that the risk of not wearing it and getting out, given our circumstances (outside the US where microchips and readers were not readily available, and in the US far from a shelter/ vet to read the chip), was higher than the danger of wearing it in his crate / when we're not home. Things can always happen - this morning (when we were around) - Perry's cousin Finley got his collar caught on the loop on the back of Perry's fleece as they were playing. Luckily Finley's Mom and I were both right there to disconnect them :).

If you want to keep him longer a rolled leather one should be the least matting.

Arf! Arf!
Every one of us is responsible for the health and safety of our Havanese. Every situation is going to be different and will require different solutions dependent on an owner's particular situation. There is no need to seek justification from members on HF for decisions that work the best for you. It is your dog, it is your lifestyle,do your research, ask for opinions on HF, and then do what you think is best for you and your dog. I know that if I were living in a different situation, I would be making different decisions for my dog.

A couple of months ago, I did something really stupid and irresponsible with RICKY. I unintentionally put him in danger. I didn't bring it up on HF because no one in their right mind would have done what I did. I learned my lesson. It will not happen again. Sometimes we just have to forgive ourselves, learn from our mistakes, and move on.

Registered
I鈥檓 not going to weigh in on the collar thing, but will say this - and it鈥檚 not pointed at anyone here, just general knowledge that is always good to have out there!

if your dog gets out NEVER chase them. Call their name to get their attention and RUN THE OTHER WAY. They will be 鈥渙h boy! We get to play chase!鈥 You can even have them chase you back into a yard (even if it鈥檚 not your yard, any yard where you can close the gate will do!) or safe place. Then you can sit/lay down/whatever and have them 鈥渃atch鈥 you, then work on a 100% recall :)

Registered
Every one of us is responsible for the health and safety of our Havanese. Every situation is going to be different and will require different solutions dependent on an owner's particular situation. There is no need to seek justification from members on HF for decisions that work the best for you. It is your dog, it is your lifestyle,do your research, ask for opinions on HF, and then do what you think is best for you and your dog. I know that if I were living in a different situation, I would be making different decisions for my dog.

A couple of months ago, I did something really stupid and irresponsible with RICKY. I unintentionally put him in danger. I didn't bring it up on HF because no one in their right mind would have done what I did. I learned my lesson. It will not happen again. Sometimes we just have to forgive ourselves, learn from our mistakes, and move on.
Popi we all know how much you love Ricky鉂 Whatever happened whenever you feel guilty about it try to think how you would comfort another forum member if it were them, and then treat yourself with the same kindness. xx

Registered
Popi we all know how much you love Ricky鉂 Whatever happened whenever you feel guilty about it try to think how you would comfort another forum member if it were them, and then treat yourself with the same kindness. xx
Well said. 鉂

On a totally different topic, I鈥檓 on my iPhone and can see the red heart that GoWithTheFlo included in her post. That鈥檚 new.

Owned by a Havallon

Oh wow...so scary! One time when we took dogs out at night before bed on leashes (no fenced yard), my yorkie saw the neighbor cat and went wild. He got away from my husband and chased the cat all over the dense woods around our house in the pitch blackness. I think my heart stopped completely. All I heard was leaves rustling as my yorkie chase the cat all over the dense woods. I yelled COME at the top of my lungs...lo and behold, my yorkie came to me!!! I said such a prayer of thanks. Note I do not think this was the result of him having a fabulous recall. I think it was an act of God for which I was so thankful!!!!

Registered
I have a rolled leather collar that I got on Amazon. I don't trust Otto's recall should he ever get out so I keep it on him all the time. So far so good. I got the smallest possible tag with his name and my number so hopefully, it doesn't get stuck in anything.

Premium Member
I had a flat collar with a really nice name tag attached Amazon.com : Leashboss Pet ID Tags for Dog and Cat Collars - Personalized and Engraved Custom Identification Tag - Boomerang Tags - Silent, Durable, and Will Not Fall Off (5/8 Inch Collars, Adjustable, Small) : Pet Supplies. Now that I've let her hair grow out I'm not using a collar but would really like to get a round one with a name tag to leave on her. She doesn't have good recall and if she ever escaped out the door and saw a squirrel she'd be gone. I can't find a round, rolled collar with a name tag that doesn't dangle. I discovered early on that Willow will grab and chew on a tag that dangles.

Owned by a Havallon
I had a flat collar with a really nice name tag attached Amazon.com : Leashboss Pet ID Tags for Dog and Cat Collars - Personalized and Engraved Custom Identification Tag - Boomerang Tags - Silent, Durable, and Will Not Fall Off (5/8 Inch Collars, Adjustable, Small) : Pet Supplies. Now that I've let her hair grow out I'm not using a collar but would really like to get a round one with a name tag to leave on her. She doesn't have good recall and if she ever escaped out the door and saw a squirrel she'd be gone. I can't find a round, rolled collar with a name tag that doesn't dangle. I discovered early on that Willow will grab and chew on a tag that dangles.
How about this?

Premium Member
Replying to lots of people at once ... Mama Mills, I'm sorry that happened to you. That would be scary! We put Shama's rolled collar with small hanging ID tag on her when we're going somewhere we feel she might get away. Otherwise, she doesn't wear a collar. I am interested in the collars MPM recommended. Mando's Mommy, can you please post a photo of Mando in his new collar? Everyone should post a photo of their dog in their collar, if they wear one, just for fun. Not sure when I'll get around to it, however, as tomorrow is Easter, then I go back to in-person learning, so you'll see me here again in mid June. Popi, please listen to Go With the Flo. As kind as you are to others, please be kind to yourself. Mando's Mommy, that heart still shows up as black to me. I'm on a PC, but I'm pretty sure it will also be black on my Mac. No plain red heart is available to me.
馃挌馃挍馃А馃挏馃挋

Premium Member
How about this?

I've looked at these on Etsy in the past. The same vendor sells the collars on Amazon but without a nametag option. I would really like to buy from Amazon as it's so easy to return something. I think I'll try and contact the seller (CollarDirect) and see if they would be able to sell a nametag on Amazon rather than Etsy. I've purchased things from Etsy but never anything I thought I might have to return. If Willow wouldn't chew on a dangling tag it wouldn't be a problem!

Owned by a Havallon
Interesting article on rolled vs. round collars. They sell coat protective collars. Looks like high quality.

Owned by a Havallon
Oops...I guess the HUND awesome collars do not have tags. Just wondering if a regular collar that fits loosely will cause matting? My dogs rarely wear collars and I never attach a leash to them. But they fit rather loosely and have not seen matting. However, they do not wear them a lot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts