Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Mom to Dusty and Indie
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Indie to the emergency vet Friday night with bloody diarrhea. She also had some spots on her that turned out to be bruising. This came on really suddenly. They ran a bunch of tests and discovered that her platelets were very low, which means she can't clot blood and could bleed to death. It's called thrombocytopenia-basically her immune system is attacking her platelets. She was also dehydrated. The cause is uncertain at this point--anything from stress to a tick-borne illness or an autoimmune disease. The initial tests ruled out a bunch of things, but we don't know much else.
She is still at the emergency vet now. They are treating her with steroids and some other things to suppress her immune system, as well as antibiotics. We don't know yet if it's working. It could take days. She's not dehydrated anymore (IV fluids helped) and is eating and drinking and peeing. She could come home tonight (there's nothing about her care now that we can't do at home), but is at serious risk of bleeding to death until her platelet counts improve.
They've told me there's a 50-50 chance of her pulling through.
Our whole family is worried sick and upset about this. She's as special to us as a dog can be. We were supposed to leave on vacation tomorrow and that's on hold.
Prayers appreciated.

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
((((((((((( Joelle, Indie and family))))))))))

·
Registered
898 Posts
Joelle,

I am so sorry to read about Indie-send healing vibes to her and tons of hugs to everyone. Please keep us posted.

Pat (humom to)
Miss Paige
Mr Roman
Ms Frannie

·
Linda
5,409 Posts
Geeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!! I am so sorry to hear this! I hope and pray that Indie is on the way to wellness.

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Oh Joelle, this is so scary. Hugs and prayers for Indie and your whole family. I will be checking in. I do so hope she is ok. And please know you can spill what ever you are feeling, or download any information. I know when I was I going through something serious with Cash it was a great comfort to come on here and just unload all the new confusing information. Get well Indie!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Oh my that is VERY scary! Please keep us posted on how Indie is doing. Hopefully you will be able to determine the cause soon and take care of the problem. Please let us know.:hug:

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,347 Posts
Joelle,

I am so sorry to hear about Indie's condition. Sending healing vibes for her complete recovery. Please keep us posted. :grouphug:

·
Registered
730 Posts
Oh, Joelle, I'm so sorry to hear about Indie. We will be praying for Indie's full recovery. I'm glad you can bring her home-she will be so much happier with you than at the scary emergency vet.

·
Carol
131 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that Indie is so sick. I know you must be so worried for her. I praythey find out what's wrong soon so she can be by your side again. Sending hope and healing.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
{{{{Joelle}}}} Thinking really positive thoughts for Indie here. I hope she comes through this and is back to her normal self very quickly.

·
Dave T
10,876 Posts
Hoping for the best.

·
My Dogs Mom
3,476 Posts
I'm so sorry and cannot even imagine how terrified you all must feel. Please know that prayers are being lifted for Indie. All paws are crossed here for a fast and complete healing.
xxoox

1 - 20 of 148 Posts