Havanese Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Caesar just ate a small pantyhose you get when you try on shoes at a store. Reading that I should induce vomiting or diarrhea. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
My puppy had an X-ray that showed a piece of string, which we immediately knew when we saw the image was embroidery floss. Since it was a small amount and bunched up the vet said to watch him and believed it would pass without a problem, but he said if it didn’t pass in 24 hours he would want to do another X-ray and probably surgically remove it. They might have given him medicine to help but I don’t remember for sure if we just talked about it. I think they want to see where it is to make that assessment, when it’s items that can expand or change shape as they pass, like fabric. For foreign objects we can call our vet’s office and they will advise on whether to watch or take him in.

Those little nylons can bunch up pretty small, so I’m going to hope with you that and you’ll be home today after the vet making lots of outside potty trips! But they are stretchy and I think it’s a good idea to have him checked out.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,451 Posts
And I know I am responding later… Hopefully you got him to the vet last night. Any time that you induce vomiting, you want to do it under the direction of a vet. There are some instances where it is the first line of treatment, and other cases where you absolutely don’t want to.

·
Registered
509 Posts
And I know I am responding later… Hopefully you got him to the vet last night. Any time that you induce vomiting, you want to do it under the direction of a vet. There are some instances where it is the first line of treatment, and other cases where you absolutely don’t want to.
Exactly right...I responded quickly when I saw the message and my first thought was that inducing vomiting is not necessarily the right thing to do with something cloth-like. Hope the poster let’s us know how it worked out. Normally, the vet will do an xray with something like this to see where it ended up...those intestines make lots of twists and turns and depending on where it is determines next steps. I vaguely remember over the years with dogs having a family member with one where the object was xrayed at a place where the best course of treatment was to let the dog stuff itself with bread for the final push. It was a daschund who was thrilled with the treatment! But this is something that a vet needs to assess.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,451 Posts
The biggest concern with anything stretchy or thread-like is that it will get caught on one end and accordion-pleat the intestines as they TRY to push it through. This can cause large potions of the intestine to die off and kill the dog if it is not surgically removed in time.

Reactions: DogFather

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks so much. Vet kept an eye on him today and will follow up tomorrow. She said that if he were to show any signs of issues, it would happen today. He has been great all day they said. So we will monitor him at home tonight and when he goes in tomorrow they will take a look and see if the x-rays are needed. They said since those type of pantyhose are so thin and he ate such a small one that his stomach acids should break it down pretty much to where it will come out in pieces in his poop. He was there all day and they saw no signs of anything to worry about. He goes back in the morning so we are hopeful all is well.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Sounds like things are going to “work out” well. This is exactly the kind of situation that having a vet assess and monitor is so useful. Many of these Havanese will put anything they can find in their mouths and try to gulp tasteless things down in a blink of eye!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
My last dog at a "ped" (sock-like pantyhose) when she was a puppy - I never even knew she did UNTIL it came out in her poop. It didn't break down, it was pretty much all intact :)

When my sister's cavapoo got into some mouse poison when he was a pup, the vet had us induce vomiting by getting him to drink hydrogen peroxide - we got him to take it by mixing it with peanut butter - and he ate it right up and immediately vomited (followed up with a trip to the vet - with rat poison they want you to induce vomiting immediately rather than go to the vet first because it can take too long to get to the vet).

·
Registered
509 Posts
I keep a bottle of hydrogen peroxide only to have on hand in case of need for immediate vomiting of poison or pills or whatever, but I would get on phone to vet to make sure that was the right approach. Probably not for cloth or a plastic toy or whatever else they might go after.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,451 Posts
I keep a bottle of hydrogen peroxide only to have on hand in case of need for immediate vomiting of poison or pills or whatever, but I would get on phone to vet to make sure that was the right approach. Probably not for cloth or a plastic toy or whatever else they might go after.
Yes, everyone SHOULD have a bottle of peroxide on hand “just in case”. However, it MUST be unopened, and it must be replaced every 6 months to work most effectively. …And, of course, check with your vet FIRST to make sure whether it should be given at all.

·
Ricky Ricardo "Super Moderator"
3,546 Posts
ANOTHER USE FOR HYDROGEN PEROXIDE!

A couple of weeks ago, I had some minor, out-patient surgery on my nose. The doctor knew I was taking a powerful blood thinner for other issues. After surgery, they wanted me to sit upright in the recovery room to minimize bleeding. NOPE, didn't work! I started gushing blood from my face and down my knit shirt. Blood everywhere. I called for the nurse who came immediately to change the bandage and stop the bleeding. Then she said, "let's get that blood out of your shirt." She grabbed a bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide and applied it liberally with a cotton ball. The blood started fizzing and foaming and she scrubbed the area with a clean cloth. Within a couple of minutes the blood was completely gone - clean but wet shirt. She said they use it all the time to get blood out of their uniforms, it is their go-to blood cleaner. I came home and washed the shirt and absolutely no evidence of any blood or cleaning solution.

Hydrogen Peroxide is another one of those home products that has multiple uses.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds like things are going to “work out” well. This is exactly the kind of situation that having a vet assess and monitor is so useful. Many of these Havanese will put anything they can find in their mouths and try to gulp tasteless things down in a blink of eye!
So he threw up the pantyhose today. Thank goodness all is well!!!!

·
Metrowest, MA
29,451 Posts
So he threw up the pantyhose today. Thank goodness all is well!!!!
Yay! You know you are a true dog owner when you re happy to find stuff in their puke! LOL!

Reactions: Melissa Brill

·
Metrowest, MA
29,451 Posts
Awesome…a good reason to avoid the vomit suppressing drugs. Vomiting can have a purpose!!!!
Yes, I have Cerenia on-hand because Of Kodi's tummy problems, but I NEVER give it to him without checking in with his vet first!

Reactions: mudpuppymama
1 - 18 of 18 Posts