Havanese Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! We recently took care of a neighbor's havanese for a couple of weeks, and fell in love with her, so we're now looking for a havanese puppy for our family. I'd welcome thoughts on anything we should keep in mind as we search for a havanese. I already posted on a separate thread that we'd particularly appreciate recs for reputable breeders in MD or nearby.
Many thanks!
Maria

Super Moderator
Hi! I'm hoping to get a Havanese puppy from a reputable breeder not too far from Washington, DC (we can drive a bit, especially in MD). Does anyone have suggestions? I particularly want to make sure we get a healthy puppy, in a place that treats their dogs well. Many thanks!
Maria
Hi! We recently took care of a neighbor's havanese for a couple of weeks, and fell in love with her, so we're now looking for a havanese puppy for our family. I'd welcome thoughts on anything we should keep in mind as we search for a havanese. I already posted on a separate thread that we'd particularly appreciate recs for reputable breeders in MD or nearby.
Many thanks!
Maria
Welcome to Havanese Forum Maria.

With regards to pros and cons of Havanese...if you give me a couple of weeks I might be able to think of a con! I can only think of all the positive things about the Havanese breed right now. Maybe one con is that a Havanese puppy, if you want a healthy Havanese that has been treated well by their breeder, you should be prepared to spend about $3000 for a reputable breeder and maybe even more AND be prepared to wait a year or more to get a high quality Havanese puppy.

I don't know a lot about breeders on the East Coast. Where did your neighbor get her Havanese? I just looked on the HCA website (Havanese Club of America) and they have two breeders listed in the Maryland area
  • Ruth Hallet, Lil' Bratz Havanese, Baltimore
  • Joyce Huber, Salem Havanese, Fallston

I don't know anything about either of these two breeders other than they are located in Maryland and they have purchased advertising on the HCA website. Better yet, contact Alison Brackman at the Delaware Valley Havanese Club and ask her for recommendations for reputable breeders in your area. I highly recommend that you join DVHC and get involved with Havanese activities to get to know the breed better.

Good luck and keep us posted on your search.

Registered
I think the only con of Havanese, mentioned often when people ask on the forum about pros and cons, is that they are very people oriented and the breed is really a companion dog. They are called 鈥渧elcro dogs鈥 because they like to be close to their people. They do not like to be left alone although they can be taught to accept separations, but their preference is to be with their family. Also, they do require regular grooming, whether you keep the coat short or long.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to Havanese Forum Maria.

With regards to pros and cons of Havanese...if you give me a couple of weeks I might be able to think of a con! I can only think of all the positive things about the Havanese breed right now. Maybe one con is that a Havanese puppy, if you want a healthy Havanese that has been treated well by their breeder, you should be prepared to spend about $3000 for a reputable breeder and maybe even more AND be prepared to wait a year or more to get a high quality Havanese puppy.

I don't know a lot about breeders on the East Coast. Where did your neighbor get her Havanese? I just looked on the HCA website (Havanese Club of America) and they have two breeders listed in the Maryland area
  • Ruth Hallet, Lil' Bratz Havanese, Baltimore
  • Joyce Huber, Salem Havanese, Fallston

I don't know anything about either of these two breeders other than they are located in Maryland and they have purchased advertising on the HCA website. Better yet, contact Alison Brackman at the Delaware Valley Havanese Club and ask her for recommendations for reputable breeders in your area. I highly recommend that you join DVHC and get involved with Havanese activities to get to know the breed better.

Good luck and keep us posted on your search.
Thank you so much! Our neighbor's breeder is no longer in business, but I will look into these leads, and reach out to Alison Brackman!

Premium Member
The only cons I can think of are those already mentioned- grooming time/cost (we do monthly groomings at ~$75/visit)and potential for unhappiness being separated from their human family. I was very concerned about the second point but it actually hasn鈥檛 been too much of a problem with our Havanese, who is almost a year old. We were just on vacation for 9 days and she was perfectly happy staying with my in-laws. In fact, my MIL said 鈥渟he didn鈥檛 miss you at all!鈥 She鈥檚 not left home alone too often since my husband and I both are working from home, but when we do she doesn鈥檛 bark when we leave and doesn鈥檛 seem distressed upon our return. One piece of advice we found helpful was to downplay the significance of departures from/returns to home. We just walk out the front door, either with a simple 鈥渂ye, take a rest鈥 or no goodbye. When we return home, she barks briefly but we ignore her for the first few minutes and greet her calmly after having set our things down, shoes off, etc. It seems a bit cold and is difficult not to greet her enthusiastically, but I really do think it helps minimize distress with us being away. I鈥檝e actually found we have less trouble leaving our Havanese home alone compared to friends with other dog breeds that chew things or bark a lot.

Metrowest, MA
I think many "pros and cons" depend on your point of view!

The "Velco Dog thing":

Yes, they are absolutely "people" dogs! Don't get one if you you want a pet that you can just "forget" for long periods of time, or who will do well in a boarding kennel. Frankly, I don't think this is great for ANY dog, but there ARE breeds that tolerate it better than most Havanese. As Strawberry wrote above, the VAST majority of cases of "separation anxiety" are human-made, not part of the dog. Raise your puppy right, and it won't be a problem!

"Small, maybe fragile?":

Yes, they are small, DEFINITELY more vulnerable than a Labrador or Golden Retriever when playing with large breeds, or if you have rambunctious children in the house. So keep those things in mind. BUT (hopefully) you can teach your kids to handle the puppy gently. They are probably one of the STURDIEST toy breeds! And their size has many advantages in terms of portability! You MUST protect them from wild life and from larger, potentially aggressive, or even overly rambunctious dogs, and until they are fully mature, you must protect them from damaging their joints with jumping from heights, etc.

One HUGE "Pro" on their size is that most can be carried onto airplanes!

"That beautiful, hard to maintain coat!":

If you are interested in maintaining that classic Havanese "look", look for a breeder who emphasizes easy-care coat in their breeding program. Such breeders do exist, and such Havanese do exist! My dogs all have coats that have been quite easy to maintain in full coat except during that dreaded adolescent "blowing coat" phase. MOST, but not all, Havanese are tough to groom during that period. But there is no shame in cutting them down then, and letting them grow back out, if it gets to be too much for you!

Or... you can go in, eyes wide open, and decide that you are just not up for a lot of primping and you don't care about a long coat. In that case, you need to arrange for a good groomer EARLY, and get your pup used to quite a short cut on a REGULAR basis. The ONLY way you can get away with not combing at all, or not much, will be to keep them really short.

So... whether you consider this a "pro" or an "con" depends on your view of grooming! I enjoy it, and went in, eyes wide open. But if it's not your jam, be prepared!

"They are SMART!!!!"

They LOVE to work. They have been used as circus dogs for many years. If you enjoy training with your dog, you will LOVE training with your Havanese. If you have NO training experience, depending on the situation, you MAY need help! Some of these little monkeys can come up with their own agenda, and you MIGHT need help training him to see it YOUR way! :) Remember that EVERY time you interact with your dog, you ARE "teaching" him something... whether it's the lesson you intended or not. Very often, I see situations where people get very frustrated because they do not realize that they are unintentionally reinforcing exactly the behaviors they DON'T want. This can be a REAL problem with a smart breed like Havanese!

"They seem to be available everywhere on the internet" OR... "I can't find one!":

Yes and yes. There are a lot of swindlers, scammers and puppy mills out there. You typically can find an underbred, poorly socialized maybe-Havanese pretty quickly. But believe me, that's NOT what you want. Take your time, do your homework, find the RIGHT breeder, who will be a resource to you for the rest of your dog's life. Do not look for a bargain. If at all possible, meet the breeder and pups in person. If that's not possible, make SURE you do a Zoom or Face Time meeting. Those cannot be faked the way photos can. Get references! Make sure you feel comfortable with the breeder. Ask for your contract ahead of time and READ it!!! Do not buy a puppy without a written contract and AKC registration! Make sure BOTH parents have been fully health tested and that the results are registered with OFA. (both parents should have a CHIC number) I prefer parents who have either conformation and/or performance titles. "Championship LINES" means NOTHING. There isn't a Havanese in the US that doesn't have "champions in their lines"! It's not that big a breed!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts