Havanese Forum banner

661 - 669 of 669 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
It’s a truly punishing heartache, Karen. I know there must be so many people here on the forum who have been through this and who know just how painful it is. My little boy. He died in my arms and I can still feel that moment when he went limp. I don’t think I’ll ever forget it. I’ll certainly never forget him. He saw me through great upheavals in my life; that kind of loyal devotion is something entirely special to our canine companions and, for me has elicited a love as important as any I have ever felt for any human. I don’t have children, so perhaps that is a factor; dogs are not a substitute, in my opinion, they are something utterly different and hugely important, but perhaps one’s own focus is different when it isn’t directed at children? I don’t know. I only know that a part of me is now missing and the pain of it overwhelming at times. Time, of course, will work its usual healing powers. Fourteen years is, as you say, a good long life but certainly not enough, and I’d hoped for another one or two, but there we are. At least I know we had no choice but to let him go, and that makes living with the decision more bearable.
Lalla I think you have stated it perfectly and beautifully. Xx

·
Cuba and Tycho
1,090 Posts
Lalla I think you have stated it perfectly and beautifully. Xx
Thank you, GoWithTheFlo, that is v kind of you. I see you are from the UK?? Me too, even though I now live in Hong Kong. Hope you and your family have managed all the lockdowns ok - we’ve been so lucky here.

·
Cuba and Tycho
1,090 Posts
Welcome back Lalla and Cuba. So sorry to hear about your loss. I don't think there is anything harder than the decision you had to make.
Thank you, Jackie - I know many here will have had to make the same awful decision. It helps make it a little less agonising, to know that people here understand.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Thank you, GoWithTheFlo, that is v kind of you. I see you are from the UK?? Me too, even though I now live in Hong Kong. Hope you and your family have managed all the lockdowns ok - we’ve been so lucky here.
Pleased to hear that you have stayed safe in Hong Kong😊 Yes my family have been very lucky here too, with most of us now having had at least one jab. It has definitely been a strange year but it feels like we are finally reaching a more positive stage here. My heart goes out to everyone who has not been so fortunate, especially all those facing the tragic circumstances in India at the moment😔

·
Metrowest, MA
27,636 Posts
It’s a truly punishing heartache, Karen. I know there must be so many people here on the forum who have been through this and who know just how painful it is. My little boy. He died in my arms and I can still feel that moment when he went limp. I don’t think I’ll ever forget it. I’ll certainly never forget him. He saw me through great upheavals in my life; that kind of loyal devotion is something entirely special to our canine companions and, for me has elicited a love as important as any I have ever felt for any human. I don’t have children, so perhaps that is a factor; dogs are not a substitute, in my opinion, they are something utterly different and hugely important, but perhaps one’s own focus is different when it isn’t directed at children? I don’t know. I only know that a part of me is now missing and the pain of it overwhelming at times. Time, of course, will work its usual healing powers. Fourteen years is, as you say, a good long life but certainly not enough, and I’d hoped for another one or two, but there we are. At least I know we had no choice but to let him go, and that makes living with the decision more bearable.
Oh, Lalla, I DO have children, and I STILL think the love of and for a dog is special, different, and irreplaceable. It is not the same, and no less intense, for all that it is an animal rather than a child. Just because our dogs spend less time here on earth makes us treasure our time with them even more, I think. ❤

Reactions: GoWithTheFlo

·
Cuba and Tycho
1,090 Posts
I’m sure you must be absolutely right, Karen, in your feelings about dogs and children. Our hearts are so capable of so much love, the nuances of the variations on the theme constantly fill our lives with so much, those of us who have such capacity. We are the lucky ones, even when we have to pay the very high price of the heartache that comes with loss. That price is worth every penny; I don’t think, if we were without the capacity to suffer, that we’d have the capacity to love in the first place.

I’m conscious of having steered this thread way off course, for which I apologise, but after so long away from the forum, it has been so wonderful to have all your kind messages about Tycho, and to reconnect with such sympathetic and empathetic people. Thank you all, and I’d like, with GoWithTheFlo, to say that my heart, too, goes out to anyone who has suffered in this terrible time of pandemic, and especially now, as she says, to the people of India.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,636 Posts
I’m conscious of having steered this thread way off course, for which I apologise, but after so long away from the forum, it has been so wonderful to have all your kind messages about Tycho, and to reconnect with such sympathetic and empathetic people. Thank you all, and I’d like, with GoWithTheFlo, to say that my heart, too, goes out to anyone who has suffered in this terrible time of pandemic, and especially now, as she says, to the people of India.
You've been in the Forum long enough to know that conversations RARELY stay on track! ;) 💗

661 - 669 of 669 Posts