Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks: I live in an rural area ( actually on a lake surrounded by bush) . I am wondering if any of you have had any experience with "invisible fencing" I would like to establish a "safe area" for my hopefully soon to be Havanese where he can wonder around without a leash. I would prefer the electronic fencing as opposed to the traditional type of fencing....but only if it is safe and reliable. :)

David

·
Mom to Dusty and Indie
1,181 Posts
We tried it with our lab several years ago. It was a low-end system, and we enclosed a fairly small yard. It was the type with a collar that zaps the dog if it gets too close to the fence. It turned out that we couldn't adjust it so that the dog had any safe area in our yard. The first time we tried it, she ended up cowering between our legs! We turned it off, dug up the wire and returned it to the store. Maybe there are better systems out there than the one we tried...

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
The problem with invisible fencing is that your dog can end up "trapped" in a small area and predators can still get in. You can't stop a larger animal or a human from crossing into your dog's territory, but your dog will be afraid of the jolt and won't leave. He has no means of escape.

I don't like invisible fencing for those reasons.

·
Cooper,Emma,Lily,Winston
2,018 Posts
I haven't had it myself, but I had a friend that did in a larger yard, with a larger dog. The problem they had was that occationally the dog would bolt over the fence area and then would be afraid to come back to the yard because of the zap.
Beverly

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
David. I don't have it but my sister in law does for her Hav. She only uses it when they are outside with him. She enjoys it because they all can be in the back yard hanging out. However, as previously mentioned you cannot rely on it because other animals can come in.

She also has one for inside her house. It is portable and she uses it when she travels to my in laws.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your comments; they have been helpful. One comment in particular about not keeping other animals out is important as we have bears, wolves,coyotes, and fishers in the area..
..think I will go for a traditional fence.

David

·
Izzy, Doc, and Kai's mom
2,349 Posts
:) Good choice, David. I don't like invisable fences for all the reason's others have stated here on the forum. A lot of people forget about other critters coming into the yard......I was worried you might pick the invisable fence, but now I feel better!:)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes Melissa, we frequently get them near our house, but they are black bears and not grissleys...thank heavens. Actually fishers pose a greater threat than bears....fishers are one mean bundle of fur. The bears seem to show up after we have used the barbecue so I guess they are attracted by the smell of burgers.
Two years ago the weather was very dry and there were very few berries for the bears. I counted 23 bears at one time at a landfill site 2 km from us. People were buying bags of dog food and throwing it in the landfill for the bears to eat.

David

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
David. Good choice. My sister in law lives in the Pittsburgh suburbs and doesn't have to worry about bears and things. She only uses it when they are outside with the dog so it is kind of expensive for not letting them be able to run a little on their own. Most developments won't let you put up a fence so that is where her problem came in.

If you can go traditional it is the best. Keep the grizzlies out.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
David, It looks like I am the minority, but I love my electric fence. I normally do not let them out to play unless I am out there, or checking every 10 minutes, but it gives them a great chance to run and play, without a leash, or blocking off my view of my woods. My girls have been very good on it. Lexi only got out twice, only because she was running SO fast that she couldnt stop. She didnt go far tho,and came back. I also have one in my large garden so that they stay out of the flowers, and also one in my formal living room as that is where all my plants are. I find that it works best with the little dogs but I agree with everyone else, if you have bears etc, you should def. get the standard fence. I also worry at my place about hawks, whenever I see one flying around, I take the pups in. Don't want to see my pups being taken away like the flying monkeys in the Wizard of Oz!!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yikes!...forgot about Hawks !!!..we also have Great Horned and Grey owls both of which I have seen in the day time ( especially in winter ), and both of which could easily carry off a small dog.....I think I could become paranoid about the safety on my Hav.....guess I will have to be with it at all times when I am outside:)

David

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
yEA, WE have owls also, but they are only out at night & my guys are on leashes at night. It's a big world out there or these little guys!! I think that if I had bears, I would do the standard fence. I am in central Jersey so dont see too many bears. Fox, coyotes, racoons, and deer mostly!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I think the bottom line is no matter what you decide you have to monitor them. You cannot leave them out all day without some supervision. My neighbor gave up on the invisible fence and now put their Dalmation on a run but the Dalmation even took off with that. Plus it goes after small children and other dogs. Nice. I won't even start about other people who should keep their cats safe. They let them wonder into everyone's yard and leave presents in my flower boxes. UGH.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I have a fenced in yard, so they have the run of it. The only thing I have to worry about is squirrels :).
If is sit out front, I leash them to a yard stake. I wouldn't use the electric fence out front, too many cats, other dogs, and small children in my neighborhood.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just received "The Havanese" by Diane Klumb and she is definitely against invisible/electonic fencing.....guess I will have to become "Bob the Builder " next spring.

David

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
I have thought about "Invisible Fence", we have 5 acres and fencing the whole thing is not practical. The rep. in our area says it can be used on a Chihuahua. Our neighbour tried it with their labs with no success. I still have many, many doubts.:(

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Debbie, My sister in law put in her own invisible fence. She didn't do a large area because he is just a little guy. But she did around the patio and above ground pool. She seems to love it but he is never outside unmonitored except for a quick pee stop with her on the patio. . She mainly did it so they could hang outside in the summer without her tying him or chasing him in the yard. As I said, in her Development you cannot put in fences, clothes lines, etc. So, she had little options.

I'll ask her what brand it is?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts