Havanese Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Colby is about 4.5 months old and he weighs about 10 pounds. I thought this was pretty normal and the vet has never said anything but today at the pet store everyone was commenting that he was BIG for a Havanese and that he would probably be 20 lbs full grown! Does 10 lbs at 4.5 months seem fairly normal to you all? What did yours weigh at that age and what are they now?

·
Katie
2,217 Posts
A general rule is to double their weight at 16 weeks- give or take a lb in either direction. So, if this holds true, then he could be close to 20 lbs full grown. On the other hand, he could be from fast growing lines, where he reaches his adult weight quickly then levels out- Only time will tell!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks...
Sheri...I tried searching for that but couldn't find anything. Looks like the weights really vary!
Katie ...I heard something like that as well. I'm guessing that he'll be about 16 lbs. I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Racquet weighed 8 pounds at 11 weeks, 17 pounds at six months and 22 pounds at 3 years old .

I knew he was going to be a big boy.

Elayne and Racquet

·
My Dogs Mom
3,476 Posts
Vinny is probably about 22 lbs too.
Carole

·
Registered
65 Posts
Lucy is 10.1 pounds as of last week. She is currently 9 months old. I ran into a lady at the Pike Place Market on Sunday who said she has a 3 yo male Havanese who weighs about 15 pounds. Isn't the breed standard 12-15 pounds?

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
weight...

Really does it matter except if we are showing or if we cannot feel their ribs? I think the most important thing is a healthy dog. Daisy is about 11 pounds, she was always small. Riki is 13 and his ribs can be felt, which is what the vet says is good. Riki kept growing after two, he seemed to widen in the chest area. I don't know if there is a weight and size difference between neutered and un-neutered dogs, but there is with cats. Riki was close to fifteen pounds when I put him on weight reduction...at that time I could not feel his ribs.

They come in all sizes these days. What is ideal is one thing, what is true for our own dogs is really a matter of being able to feel the ribs. If they are too chubby, they weigh too much. With all the running around they do, it is hard to get chubby unless we give them too many treats (which I did for a while with cheese).

Because Tiger Lilly is completely shaved down after her surgery, I get to see the anatomy of our dogs. They look sort of funny without all that coat.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,178 Posts
I just had Kodi at the vet's yesterday to get his nails trimmed, and while he was there, we weighed him. He's not at all overweight and at 8 2/2 months he has reached 16 lbs. He's another big Hav. Neither of his parents were near this size full grown. I think his father is 11 lbs and his mother is 12, if I remember correctly.

Probably it's because I'm used to his size, but I wouldn't want it any other way. More dog to hug!

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Our Abby weighed 7.3 lbs. when we got her at 8 mos. and she weighed exactly the same thing a year later! So, I guess you can never tell! She has added another pound recently but I think it's because of too many snacks! We're cutting back on that!

·
marltonmommy
152 Posts
All three of mine are completely different. Skippy is my small one, he's only 11.5 lbs. He eats what he eats and won't eat a thing more. He's happy and healthy. Jaime is just perfect at about 15 lbs., I have to stop her from eating, she'd eat all three bowls if she had the chance. Sunshine is my big girl, but by no means fat or overweight. She's 18 lbs., very solid and very happy and healthy. They all get the same amount of food and treats, however, Skippy usually leaves alittle left in the bowl. I do think, if I remember correctly, Sunshine was pretty big at 5 or 6 months, I believe she was about 9 lbs. Thank God all mine are happy, healthy guys who get alot of exercise, love and playtime and therefore very 'normal'.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I got Rosie at 4 months, she weighed 2.5 pounds. The Vet didn't think she would get over 5 lbs. Now at 10 months she weighs 8.4lbs. I think she will reach the 10 lb standard. I know I was shocked when I went to get her at her size, I was expecting a much larger puppy and almost didn't take her--supposedly her size was why the breeder decided to sell her. She didn't think she would ever reach standard size, so you just don't know with these dogs.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
My Beamer is almost up to 13lbs right now. He is putting on his winter weight as he is not getting much outdoor exercise...lol.. During the warmer months he is 11-12lbs.
He was 2.9lbs at 14wks old when we got him.

Ryan

·
LINDA
6,496 Posts
That old thread needs to be updated. My boys Fred and Mr Scuds grew more! They are now 16 and 17lbs. They are on diets, as they should weight 15 & 16 lbs. There is no weight standard for havanese.

·
LINDA
6,496 Posts
My Beamer is almost up to 13lbs right now. He is putting on his winter weight as he is not getting much outdoor exercise...lol.. During the warmer months he is 11-12lbs.
He was 2.9lbs at 14wks old when we got him.

Ryan
My Freddie was only 2.8 lbs at 12 weeks. He kept growing up until he was 2 yrs old.

·
and Murphy & Gracie too!
6,989 Posts
Scooter is almost 2 and he's 9-10 pounds, Murphy is a year old and he's right at 9 pound, Gracie is 9 months old and a little over 10 pounds. They all eat the exact same thing. I think it's just a guess until they stop growing.

·
Roscoe and Stella's Mom
1,203 Posts
Roscoe is 16 weeks and weighed in a 6.02 lbs yesterday at the vet. I was shocked!! I can't believe he grew over a pound in two weeks. I hope he doesn't get too big, I would like him to stay a little smaller than Maddie and be around 12-14 lbs (so he can still go on plane rides easily) but as long as he is healthy I'm happy!

Maddie is a big girl at about 21 lbs, her healthy weight is 18/19, my mom has been giving her too many treats.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Hahahah, apprently Beame has been getting MANY treats these past few months. His a$$ is getting pretty big.. lol

Ryan

1 - 20 of 30 Posts