Havanese Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have decided to go ahead and start showing Princess as soon as she gets her bangs grown out. (she looks like a grandpa schnauzer! Thanks again Petsmart :rolleyes: )
I figured that I should go ahead and show her now, so she can get her points (and hopefully championship), that way if I decide to breed her when she's older and had all her testing, I can.

I talked to a fantastic woman in the St. Louis area who shows and breeds havanese. (also found out there is a hav club there, woohoo!)

She said it is super easy to show, but also offered to be a handler for Princess, when she is able to. (She just suffered a broken arm)

I know she said there is a show coming up in March, and that she could help me get registered, and a grooming table set up.. but I don't think her bangs will be grown out enough to show, and I kind of want to watch the show first.

Which is easier? To get a handler, or to do it yourself?

If I decide to show her myself, what type of grooming stuff will I have to have for the show? Right now, she goes to a groomer every 5-6weeks, and I just bathe her and brush her at home.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Jodi,
This is a rather complicated question and one that every person really needs to decide for themselves.

I use a handler now. I did show my first Havanese myself, but got so nervous in the ring. I can speak before a crowd, but put me in the ring and I just make myself ill!!!!

You will still need all the grooming equipment whether you do it yourself or have a handler. You will need a crate that you can put a portable grooming table on top, or buy a crate stack similar to the one that Kimberly uses, maybe she can send a picture. You could also buy a 'ring side' grooming table instead. For sure you will need a cart to pull ALL the equipment from your car to the ring. Go to the dog shows before you start and look at what the vendor's are selling. YOu can get everything you will need from there.

I would strongly suggest you take conformation classes first though. That is how you will learn what you need to do and meet other dog people that can help you.

It is rewarding to show your own dog and hopefully someday I will be able to.

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Jodi:
In addition to the classes. Do the Kennel and or Breed clubs in your area offer Sanction or fun Matches?
In Canada, these are practice shows for Judges, handlers and dogs to get experience. They are great to get you and your dog use to the sights and sounds of a dogs show. Great place to met show people. Because they are practice they have a more relaxed feel. There is usually a few before every major show in the area.

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am waiting to find out about conformation classes in this area. (we live in the middle of nowhere.. there is supposed to be a akc club here, just can't get contact info for it! LOL)

I was told they have the fun matches in St. Louis, but normally not until after the regular show. I plan on attending a few first, and taking (TRYING to take) Princess with me. Hopefully we will get this car sickness under control before March.

Kathy, thanks for answering ~ I get very nervous in front of people I don't know, which is why I think a handler might be best.

As for the grooming stuff... I don't mind buying it, but wasn't sure I would need all of it, because she normally goes to a groomer (I like her too much to cut her hair ;) .

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
Which is easier? To get a handler, or to do it yourself?
Well, a handler is easier, but can be a lot more expensive.

I think showing is fun. Kathy is a dear, but I keep telling her this next part - The judge isn't paying attention to me (or at least s/he shouldn't be!), but is evaluating the dog. (I know. It doesn't help. LOL)

You do want to take classes or get some coaching on the proper ways of showing off your dog's assets though. Some dogs need to be walked slower, some need to be hand-stacked, but I prefer free-stacking, etc. Some judges ask for triangles instead of go-rounds. (If you don't show yet, you probably have no idea what I mean anyway. LOL :D )

If you show, see if you can get someone to video how you move and present the dog, so you can see it from a distance. I've had people comment on my dogs a long time after I was showing them and had no idea what they were talking about because you just can't see certain things when you are the one holding the lead.

If you can't get someone to video your dog, then have someone else move the dog for you at different speeds so you can see your own dog from a distance.

And of course, make sure you know how to evaluate your dog. Study the breed standard and go to Havanese.org and check out the Judges' Ed page. Read and compare your dog to the standard. It helps you understand your dog's conformation much better.

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great, thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Jodi, I showed my Havanese for the first time this past Thanksgiving myself. I can't begin to tell you how much I learned just getting in there and doing it. It was a three day show. The judge on the first day was awesome and taught me so much. By the third day I felt a little more comfortable. It was fun and I plan to go again this month before I forget everything. I would learn as much as possible and go do it yourself and see. I was nervous, but able to function. I figure everybody has to have a first. Keeping it fun and not so competitive seems to be the key. Good luck! Tracey

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kim ~ I would love to see a pic of your crate stack, if you could send me a pic, that would be fantastic.

Thanks for the advice.. I am going to start showing her myself next month, in the local shows (well, within 2hrs)
I figured she probably wont win anything, because of her bangs, but we can both get the practice.

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
Jodi, it is from Australia and they call them trolleys over there. It is very lightweight aluminum and collapses down to a 5-inch width when it is folded. It is so light that my postal carrier pulled it out of his truck and walked it up to my porch in one hand, and my teenage daughter takes it in and out of the motorhome by herself with ease. However, even though it is lightweight, it is incredibly durable as it is built by a former airplane engineer. (He is now a dog show judge, so he has a vested interest in making sure the dogs are safe.)

The top and the shelves are textured so they are not slippery, but I still put towels down for ease in cleaning up.

Here is a link to a picture of the trolley that I have - the four berth trolley. He also makes a single berth and a two berth version. Frankly, I think that is a terrible photo of it. I usually take two or three dogs to a show, so I put them each in a separate berth, put my supplies in another one and can tuck my purse or other miscellaneous items in the fourth.

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would have thought it weighed a ton.

That is really great, I'm going to have to look into getting one of those.

You use it as a grooming table too?

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
Yes, I use it as a grooming table at shows, but not at home. When I'm at home, I use a smaller table that folds up or stays out. The trolley stays in the back of my car or in the motorhome. Besides, I don't want those wheels coming into my house after navigating through fairgrounds and dog shows. Ewww.

One thing I didn't realize when I was first ordering mine that you might want to know ahead of time. I had to wire the money to Australia in advance, which made me a little uncomfortable. He only builds them when the payment is received. He asked me to wait 6-8 weeks to receive it, but I received it in approximately 3 weeks. Maybe that is because I am near a major port? I don't know, but I didn't have to wait long at all.

·
Goldie and Stogie
2,301 Posts
Kimberly that looks really cool!

Now that my guys are finished, I dont mind showing Stogie some. Even though he does much better with a handler. When they needed to be finished, it was worth it to let a handler do it.

I did start off showing Goldie and IM glad I learned a lot. One thing I learned is SMILE. Act like you are enjoying it. The dogs are not the only ones who smell fear, judges do too!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts