Havanese Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
New to breed
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kojo has had two episodes now which scares me. He suddenly starts trembling and he can't walk. Eyes glazed. I pick him up and hold and stroke him. He vomits. Then eventually calms down. I put him down and walks around like nothing happened but sleepy the rest of the day. He does not lose his balance or fall over. His front legs look woobly like he cannot control his legs.

The first time this happened, he had just jumped off sofa. I thought he broke his leg and rushed him to Vet ER. They were so backed up, I waited an hour and Kojo didn't want to be held anymore. I put him down and he ran around like nothing was wrong. I took him home and saved big vet bill. Thought it was a "stinger" from jump. That was about a month ago.

Today he did the same thing but hadn't jumped off anything. He seemed uncoordinated. I just picked him up and sat in recliner, stroking him until he quit trembling. He vomited. Then I put him on the floor and he walked around like nothing happened.

Anyone see anything like this?

·
New to breed
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I figured out what's going on. Kojo didn't eat breakfast this AM and barely sniffed at supper. I think he had low blood sugar. Apparently he doesn't like the food I feed I him anymore. Been skipping breakfast. So after this episode, I opened a can of tuna and he gobbled it down. He has been disinterested in his food for a few days.

I ordered Stella & Chewy freeze-dried raw food. Will arrive in couple days. In mean time, I will cook him fresh cooked chicken & brown rice for couple days. Or more tuna.

He was on a hunger strike I guess. Any of you home-cook your Hava's food? Been searching for balanced recipes.

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
If he’s disinterested in food and having these symptoms I would definitely have him seen. It could be a loss of appetite from whatever is going on, rather than symptoms from loss of appetite. I’ve never heard of those kinds of symptoms in a dog who hasn’t eaten. I understand not waiting at the emergency vet when his symptoms have passed but I would definitely follow up soon with the vet who knows him and try to get video of it, as Molly suggested. It’s hard when the incidents are far apart, but you could set up some kind of makeshift video in your living room. There are apps and home security/pet monitoring programs you could use with a laptop or an old phone for a temporary, low budget setup. It could help to document as much as you can about the day, including anything that might seem unrelated to him directly but might affect him, like the schedule or changes in his environment.

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
A lot if people home cook but you have to be really careful about it. There are nutritionist and lots of groups that specialize in helping people set up systems to make sure they get the right nutrients. I would hesitate to start anything major like that until after he’s evaluated and the issue is resolved. There are also services that cost less than freeze dried raw that deliver fresh food properly balanced for dogs. If he likes the freeze dried you might look into frozen Stella and Chewy. It’s a lot less expensive. I feed freeze dried mixed with kibble, and Sundance occasionally picks out the freeze dried even though he does enjoy both. He just really loves the freeze dried, so even if he isn’t hungry he won’t pass it up!

·
New to breed
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree that vet needs to evaluate Kojo. Low Blood sugar is just a symptom of some underlying issue. Kojo's lack of appetite is also unusual. As I remember, the first "attack" was a day he refused to eat for 2 days. I just put out the same food (fresh) hoping he would eat. I have noticed some behavioral changes.

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,649 Posts
This may not be the problem, however I believe Kojo is on Simparica? That can definitely cause seizures, along with all the other oral flea medications.

·
New to breed
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And Kojo wet his bed in crate the night before. He always wakes me up by rattling crate door when he needs to go outside. That night he didn't wake me up to go outside. He hasn't wet his bed fot at least 18 months. It is possible he had seizure and had loss of bladder control.
This may not be the problem, however I believe Kojo is on Simparica? That can definitely cause seizures, along with all the other oral flea medications.
Definitely not on Simparica. He got perforated stomach ulcer with bloody diarrhea. Necrotic gastroenteritis. He was really sick on IV antibiotics in pet hospital. Very expensive pill. Vet instructions did not say to give with food. I do my own research now before I accept Rx for Kojo meds from vet.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,178 Posts
Reactions: mudpuppymama

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,649 Posts
I think seizures could happen with some of the other flea preventatives too but less likely than with the pills. Mia had some seizures following a vaccine so that is one of the main reasons I do not use any flea preventatives.

·
New to breed
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sometimes you're lucky to live in place where fleas/ticks everywhere year round. Here flea/tick and heartworm prevention is a must. Kojo doing well on K9 Advantix II topical. He gets 6-month Proheart injection. I would not approve 12-month Proheart. It is triple the strength of 6-month shot. Heartworm is endemic here. My friend's lab got heartworm even though was getting monthly chew prevention. The treatment is arsenic-based and horrible. Better to prevent than treat.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,178 Posts
Sometimes you're lucky to live in place where fleas/ticks everywhere year round. Here flea/tick and heartworm prevention is a must. Kojo doing well on K9 Advantix II topical. He gets 6-month Proheart injection. I would not approve 12-month Proheart. It is triple the strength of 6-month shot. Heartworm is endemic here. My friend's lab got heartworm even though was getting monthly chew prevention. The treatment is arsenic-based and horrible. Better to prevent than treat.
You are right that heart worm is a terrible disease and there is no "one size fits all" solution. You need to look at where you live, read a LOT, and then work with your vet to figure out the best solution to protect your "dogs" based on their needs in your particular geographical area! This really is true in terms of the tick borne diseases too. There is no one perfect answer for every dog in every area!

Reactions: Melissa Brill

·
New to breed
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Struck out on Stella & Chewy frozen. Not one retailer in my state. So freeze dried only choice. Has anyone tried PRIMAL brand. That is available at Hollywood Feed.

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
I would also ask the vet about dosing when the preventative medications are a necessity due to the needs of the dog, family, and climate. Something I read about heart worm prevention and treatment in dogs with the MDR1 mutation is that in many cases the dosing can be modified and reduce side effects and be much safer for those dogs. Sundance has not been tested for the gene but had a lot of trouble on heartworm medication and one of the options the vet gave was reducing the dose. Since then I have questioned the dosing of medications for dogs in general because they are not always designed to give the lowest dose possible to the individual dog, they are designed to treat the widest group of dogs possible. Many Havanese are on the edge of size brackets so it’s worth asking.

The owner of the small pet food store in my area stocks most of the Primal varieties and likes it, but I think she is big on frozen and hasn’t mentioned really preferring one brand over another. I’m pretty sure it’s what she feeds, or did feed at one point.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I would also ask the vet about dosing when the preventative medications are a necessity due to the needs of the dog, family, and climate. Something I read about heart worm prevention and treatment in dogs with the MDR1 mutation is that in many cases the dosing can be modified and reduce side effects and be much safer for those dogs. Sundance has not been tested for the gene but had a lot of trouble on heartworm medication and one of the options the vet gave was reducing the dose. Since then I have questioned the dosing of medications for dogs in general because they are not always designed to give the lowest dose possible to the individual dog, they are designed to treat the widest group of dogs possible. Many Havanese are on the edge of size brackets so it’s worth asking.

The owner of the small pet food store in my area stocks most of the Primal varieties and likes it, but I think she is big on frozen and hasn’t mentioned really preferring one brand over another. I’m pretty sure it’s what she feeds, or did feed at one point.
Which med can you reduce the dose? I talked to my vet (Perry's on Heartgard) - but she said that the medicine isn't evenly distributed through it so you can't split it in half (for example) to reduce it... would be curious if there's one that is more divisible.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,178 Posts

Also, consider Interceptor. It is an older heart worm drug and less likely to cause seizure problems. It is the only heart worm med I will use on my dogs.

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
Which med can you reduce the dose? I talked to my vet (Perry's on Heartgard) - but she said that the medicine isn't evenly distributed through it so you can't split it in half (for example) to reduce it... would be curious if there's one that is more divisible.
I’m not sure if the vet meant to reduce the dose of the medication he was on, or reduce the dose of a different preventative. But he was on Heartgard, so my guess is a different one. I’m not sure if he meant a different brand or form of Inermectin or a different drug. I wonder if he meant Interceptor, because it’s available with separate doses for dogs under 12lbs and dogs 10-20, but Heartgard is all dogs under 25.

I thought dosing was mentioned on the forum before because there is a way to give a heartworm preventative at different doses but only in one form, and I know it’s not a chew. Maybe I’m confusing a conversation about fleas or ticks.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,178 Posts
Karen, do you use the tablets or the chewable Interceptor Plus(with the wormer)?
JUST Interceptor. Not the “plus”. It’s SUPPOSED to be chewable, but none of MY dogs will willingly eat it! LOL!

Reactions: Melissa Brill
1 - 20 of 37 Posts