Havanese Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,719 Posts
JUST Interceptor. Not the “plus”. It’s SUPPOSED to be chewable, but none of MY dogs will willingly eat it! LOL!
Scout and Truffles have been on Interceptor Plus for several years. When I put it in their mouth they would just drop it. I wrap it in a little soft cheese and down it goes. 😊

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
It’s funny how many dogs I know that won’t eat the Interceptor on their own. They really should improve the taste or smell or something. On the other hand, Molly thinks her Heartgard chew is the best thing ever. She rolls over and does tricks whenever she sees it coming!

·
Metrowest, MA
29,200 Posts
It’s funny how many dogs I know that won’t eat the Interceptor on their own. They really should improve the taste or smell or something. On the other hand, Molly thinks her Heartgard chew is the best thing ever. She rolls over and does tricks whenever she sees it coming!
Meh. I'm pretty good at pilling dogs. ;)

Reactions: Melissa Brill

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Meh. I'm pretty good at pilling dogs. ;)
For Perry a little peanut butter goes a long way. If I'm worried that he won't take it then a little extra peanut butter on my finger to keep him licking after he takes the pill and he never even notices. Generally though I just throw his heartgard and any pills in his food and he never even notices.

I do sometimes just make him take the pill dry (hardest with his trazadone because it's a quarter of a pill so is a little chalky and sometimes gets stuck) but he enjoys it more the other ways :)

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,650 Posts
Which med can you reduce the dose? I talked to my vet (Perry's on Heartgard) - but she said that the medicine isn't evenly distributed through it so you can't split it in half (for example) to reduce it... would be curious if there's one that is more divisible.
My understanding is that you can reduce the dose by giving it every six vs. every four weeks. However, some vets say this is risky. Some folks only give during certain periods of the year based upon your climate. The vets I have had do not like these approaches because of the high risk in our area and because the mosquitoes are becoming resistant to the drugs.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,200 Posts
For Perry a little peanut butter goes a long way. If I'm worried that he won't take it then a little extra peanut butter on my finger to keep him licking after he takes the pill and he never even notices. Generally though I just throw his heartgard and any pills in his food and he never even notices.

I do sometimes just make him take the pill dry (hardest with his trazadone because it's a quarter of a pill so is a little chalky and sometimes gets stuck) but he enjoys it more the other ways :)
Kodi has gotten to the point that I hand him a pill and he swallows it, because he knows I’ll give him a cookie right after! LOL!

·
Metrowest, MA
29,200 Posts
My understanding is that you can reduce the dose by giving it every six vs. every four weeks. However, some vets say this is risky. Some folks only give during certain periods of the year based upon your climate. The vets I have had do not like these approaches because of the high risk in our area and because the mosquitoes are becoming resistant to the drugs.
The way it was explained to me by my vet was that the interval for dosing was planned by the manufacturers based on the knowledge that people would forget and let it slip. So it is effective still at 6 weeks but SAFE at 4 weeks, and if you forget for a week or a little longer, you are still OK. When she talked to me about the 6 week dosing, she was VERY CLEAR that there is no room for error on the 6 week dosing schedule. If you miss even a day, you can get into trouble.

Also, I hope that everyone is clear that heartworm meds are not a “preventative” per se. They KILL microfillaria in the blood stream. When you dose your dog, you are killing any that they have been exposed to in the last 4-6 weeks, BEFORE they have a chance to trpurn into “heart worms”. They do not really protect your dog from infection… they kill any brewing infection your dog has picked up.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have to crush the Interceptor and mix it with pumpkin purée. If I don’t crush it finely enough, Mando either won’t touch it or spits it out. 🙄

·
Metrowest, MA
29,200 Posts
I have to crush the Interceptor and mix it with pumpkin purée. If I don’t crush it finely enough, Mando either won’t touch it or spits it out. 🙄
You need to learn to pill a dog! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Melissa Brill

·
Registered
414 Posts
You need to learn to pill a dog! :ROFLMAO:
I’m all ears! Mando doesn’t like peanut butter and is lactose-intolerant (even though he loves cheese). I tried stuffing his medicine in boiled chicken (his favorite) but he ate the chicken and spit out the meds. He’s too smart for his own good! 🤓🤣

·
Metrowest, MA
29,200 Posts
I’m all ears! Mando doesn’t like peanut butter and is lactose-intolerant (even though he loves cheese). I tried stuffing his medicine in boiled chicken (his favorite) but he ate the chicken and spit out the meds. He’s too smart for his own good! 🤓🤣
Forget trying to hide it. It just makes them suspicious. Have his favorite treats at the ready. Open his mouth, put the pill as far back as you can. Close his mouth and hold it closed. Stroke his throat and tell him to "swallow". Stroking his throat may help. When you FEEL him swallow, IMMEDIATELY give him a cookie. (This will help if you were wrong, and it's still "hiding" in his mouth somewhere, because he'll then probably swallow both together!!!) Follow with a second cookie and a BIG GOOD BOY!!!

Kodi has had to take a pill every day for so long that at this point, I can just hand him the pill and he swallows it himself, KNOWING that the cookies are coming... no "manhandling" required. But it took a long time to get to that stage, and probably won't happen with a dog who only needs pills once in a while!

·
New to breed
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Kojo's Stella & Chewy Freeze dried dinner patties arrived today. Says 5 pattied for 15 lb doh. I broke up one patty and reconstituted in some water. Mixed it into his regular (he won't eat any more). Miracle. He immediately ate the entire bowl. No food hesitancy at all. Was quite interested as I prepared it. He may not be on Stella & Chewy 100% but have it mixed with other wet food. So far, a big hit. And very happy Hava dog and Hava Mom.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Forget trying to hide it. It just makes them suspicious. Have his favorite treats at the ready. Open his mouth, put the pill as far back as you can. Close his mouth and hold it closed. Stroke his throat and tell him to "swallow". Stroking his throat may help. When you FEEL him swallow, IMMEDIATELY give him a cookie. (This will help if you were wrong, and it's still "hiding" in his mouth somewhere, because he'll then probably swallow both together!!!) Follow with a second cookie and a BIG GOOD BOY!!!

Kodi has had to take a pill every day for so long that at this point, I can just hand him the pill and he swallows it himself, KNOWING that the cookies are coming... no "manhandling" required. But it took a long time to get to that stage, and probably won't happen with a dog who only needs pills once in a while!
Totally agree—- pilling them SO much easier than trying to hide it. Charlie would always pick the pill out of whatever we stuffed it in, but he’s now great about swallowing them. Good to know about the interceptor though— we’re about to start Jolene on it late this month, and she’s picky as is!

·
Metrowest, MA
29,200 Posts
Totally agree—- pilling them SO much easier than trying to hide it. Charlie would always pick the pill out of whatever we stuffed it in, but he’s now great about swallowing them. Good to know about the interceptor though— we’re about to start Jolene on it late this month, and she’s picky as is!
Fortunately, the ones for the small weight dogs are TINY!!!

·
New to breed
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Kojo ate Stelly & Chewy Freeze dried TURKEY dinner patties only one day after done with transitioning. Then wouldn't eat it. So tried new flavor, SURF N TURF which is salmon & beef. Add teaspon of American Journey Wild Alaska salmon oil. He consistently eats entire bowl immediately now. I guess he was tired of poultry flavor. I also got a bag of Stella & Chewy Marvelous Red Meat (beef, lamb and goat). Haven't tried that one yet. Stella & Chewy even have venison which would be a good try for dogs with food allergies. The Salmon oil is high in omega-3. So much food is too high in Omega-6, so salmon oil helps bring that into better balance. Kojo likes the Salmon oil. I put a 1/2 teaspoon in his food twice a day. Supposed to refrigerate after opening bottle.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
This also is the method I use, though I wear 2 gloves on my pilling hand as the skin on my hands is so thin.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts