Havanese Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
147 Posts
My "guess" is that she is definitely not a Havanese/Poodle cross. There might be a little of one or both in her. I just don't see a dominant trait of either breed in the picture (coat, head shape or ears). The ears just don't match either breed. She is a cutie though!! I've done DNA testing on 2 dogs and the results were definitely interesting. The first was a puppy I got from a rescue that I volunteered for.. a mama Pug came in with newborn puppies. We obviously knew that Mom was a Pug but didn't know what the father was. We had no background or history. The person that surrendered the mom and pups wanted all of them destroyed and a vet refused so my rescue took them. Anywho, we all guessed at the "other half" as the puppies grew and I decided to do a DNA test on the puppy that I adopted and was shocked at the results because it said my pup was definitely half Pug (mom) but the other half was a maltese/yorkie (dad). None of the puppies had hair like a maltese or yorkie but coats like a Pug (but single coat)... but they had the personality traits of a yorkie in ways. But all of the puppeies looked like they were at least half pug. A friend of mine had adopted one of the other puppies from the same litter and I talked her into doing the DNA panel because I thought it was a fluke and she got the same results. After that, I did the same DNA test on another rescue of mine... also a Pug but I always suspected that he might have Pekingese in his mix. Sure enough the results came back that he was a Pug/Pekingese mix.

· Registered
147 Posts
Any idea what DNA testing costs?
I did the Wisdom Panel test when I did it. Looks like they're going for around $80 to $100 on Amazon now. There are multiple others that vary in price and test for different genetic traits as well now. It's been several years since I did it and haven't researched the different tests that are available now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts