Havanese Forum banner
21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
If you are trying to repurpose something as a litter box you might want to try using pine pellets. An enormous bag is under $10 and they last forever. I’d be hesistant to do cloth because of my experience with paper. My breeder paper trained and I think it works for most families but it didn’t work out for us to continue. We aren’t total slobs but I think we’re messier than our breeder, who is very organized and probably never has stray paper around her puppies. I’d love to say we’re carefree but that probably makes it sound a little cuter than we are :) My kids do homework on the floor (they do have desks they don’t ever use), and both of them like to have Sundance keep them company while they work on homework. Multiple times Sundance proudly peed on homework. He also peed if mail fell on the floor in the kitchen, with perfect aim. He occasionally peed on stray paper after we switched to pine pellets but we finally got in the habit of keeping paper off the floor. In fact, the only accidents he was having involved paper, and they didn’t really seem accidental! The association was so clear, I wouldn’t dare create an association with cloth. We have carpet and rugs, but also my husband is notorious for leaving clothes next to the hamper instead of in it. Sundance also has an association with sawdust from pine pellets, but this is harmless because no one has sawdust lying around in their house. However I work a lot with wood in my garage and Sundance has peed on sawdust before. His aim is spot on, too. This tells me that litter box training is powerful and it works, but pine pellets are the best liner for us, and I keep the sawdust in my garage cleaned up. Which is actually a lot easier than keeping random papers off of the floor!

I make us sound terribly messy, but I think we’re pretty normal. I used to be kind of neurotic about cleaning and organizing and it wasn’t good for me. A few years ago I decided if I was going to stay up late it wasn’t going to be to wash the dishes, I was going to do something fun to relax, and clean in the morning.
This was our problem with cloth - I am convinced that Perry (at the rescue) was using cloth pee pads because he was very good at NOT going in the house, except on the small throw rug in front of the door AND on the door mat (outside) in front of the door. We took up the mats for a while and finally got past it, but I am sure it was related to cloth pee pads.

21 - 21 of 21 Posts