1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
We have not used it but know some breeders who have with good results. These breeders are currently feeding Fromm's like we are right now-don't know the details why -might just be availability. Fromm's doesn't make a puppy food either but we have no reason to switch from Purina Pro Plan Puppy for small breeds for the puppies.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! These dogs are 1 yr old, and 3 yrs old--so we're just looking for a good adult food. We've always had large dogs in the past, so we used cheaper food because they ate SO much! These dogs eat so little, that I figured we could get them really good quality food--and probably still be paying less than we were for feeding the large dogs! The amount of information on the best quality foods is a little overwhelming, so I appreciate any help! Thanks :) !

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,362 Posts
Evo is a product by our local Northern California company that makes Innova and California Natura brand dog food. All three varieties are super premium dog food and are excellent quality. Innova is their "regular" dog food that comes in all life stages. California Natural is a simple ingredients dog food that's for dogs who have allergies and Evo is a high protein/no grain dog food that's suppose to simulate what an animal would eat in nature with no grain...think Atkins for dogs. lol It is reall high in protein and fat, so there are two things you need to know. One feed less and two start the transition very slowly as the food is so rich, it will surely give your dogs upset stomach (1/4 Evo to 3/4 your regular food).

Hope this helps,
Julia

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that information! So do you think the "Natural" would be better than the Evo??

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,362 Posts
I don't know if California Natural would be better, I would keep it as an option in case your puppy developes allergies. My cat who is not 10 1/2 has developed food sensitivity and I put him on California Natural for cats and he loves it. While Evo is excellent food, it was too rich for my poodles and I didn't try it with my Hav Bugsy. I don't know why I failed to mention ....duh, but I feed Bugsy Wee Bit. It is also super premium dog food that is developed specifically for small breeds. It is the same company that makes Solid Gold dog food. It comes in a hot pink bag with a pic of Westie on it. The kibble is tiny, just right for the little ones and my puppy loves it, even though it's an adult dog food. You could try both and see what yours thinks. But whatever you switch to, make sure you do it gradually, as to not cause stomach upset.

Julia

·
Amanda
9,576 Posts
I haven't struggled as much with my Havanese as I did my maltese. She is extremely active so we have her on a high protein food. I also free feed her with dry kibble that she likes. Wellness Super 5 and Solid Gold Wee Bits. Dora eats the same. Once a day they get a "special meal" with egg/veggies. Since we started doing this routine. Belle added 1/2lb which was 10% body weight. But my vet reminded me that you need a balance of proteins and fats. I also switch foods about every 3 to 4 months or after 2 large bags to keep Belle interested.

Amanda

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
We have tried a few with our puppy who is pretty picky, and ended up with Nutro Ultra for puppy. She likes it the best, and it's a better quality than most, although not at the top of the quality list. (pretty sure it's a 4 star)

If it was up to me, I would probably do a Innova, Canidae or Wellness food, but we live in the middle of nowhere, and I can't find those here without paying tons for shipping.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the responses!! I'm going to make a list of my top few choices, and go check out a small specialty dog supply store in the morning. I've heard they have good-quality, "hard to find" food there, so hopefully they'll have something good for our dogs! Thanks again for all the information :) .

·
Mom to Dusty and Indie
1,181 Posts
When Dusty came to us she was being fed EVO and some sort of raw diet. We stuck with the EVO, but dropped the raw diet-too much trouble to find it. EVO has been great. Dusty eats about 1/4 to 1/3 cup morning and night. The small bag costs us $12.99 and lasts well over a month. It agrees with her and she likes it. Her favorite treats are green bean and sweet potato. Sometimes I think she eats better than my kids do!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
All of this info is great, but I could support a small kennel if I had to buy bags of food to try on my Havs. The breeder told us she was feeding the new puppy Iams Smart Puppy, but when we tried it, it just stayed in the dish. My older Hav will eat Royal Canin if he is really, really hungry. Most of the time he will only eat Little Cesar, but I mix it half/half with a much better brand so I don't feel too guilty. I just want him to eat something. He is 14 mos and not eeven 10lbs. And now the new puppy wants the same thing! Glad I'm going to the vet tomorrow - maybe he can help.

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
gosh, all this sounds familiar. I have donated more bags of kibble to our shelter than they know what to do with. I am now feeding Jasper, mostly
Prairie: natures variety raw medallions (he likes rabbit and beef) and although it is expensive (15 dollar bag lasts 2 weeks) I am delighted to not be cooking for him (after a month, he stopped eating my home cooking) But I admit- I nuke the raw medallions. I hate the idea of him eating the raw food and then kissing us.

He does eat a bit of kibble every now and then. I have had the most luck with EVO red meat kibble, Eagle Pack, and mostly likes royal canin special and this new brand I found called "back to basics" Pork. I believe they are all premium foods-- but the royal canin and the back to basics have corn in them. I keep going back and forth between saying if he eats it - it doesn't matter what's in it --and then trying to avoid all the ingredients like corn everyone says is not good for them.

Ohhh these cute little rag dogs have us wrapped around their cute little tails. :)

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Tom, I didn't have the liver powder. I will look for it though. What I did have was freeze dried beef liver training treats, so I smashed a few and mixed it with their food. They gobbled it up. Now I am going to try it with the healthier food and see if it works. My vet said that Little Cesar is like giving candy to your kids.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I have been feeding both adults and puppies EVO for sometime now, and LOVE it! Once when I switched to Solid Gold Wee Bits, all the adults had coat issues. Will stick with EVO after trying many different foods.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I did buy the Evo, and the girls seem to love it so far :) ! Thanks for all the advice and opinions!!

I'm going to try to get a picture of the dogs up soon.... :)

·
Cooper,Emma,Lily,Winston
2,018 Posts
I'm feeling really lucky at this point. Cooper will eat anything you offer him. This is his last bag of Ultra puppy, so soon I will be choosing an adult food for him too. Does anyone know if there are any fresh fruits or vegtables that they shouldn't have? Both Cooper and my Bichon, Lily, love all fruits and veggies and I would hate to accidently give them something that's not good for them.

Beverly

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
I have always been told that grapes, onion & chocolate are the three things to never give a dog. My dogs love carrots & apples!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts