Havanese Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Ruth (me) Chester (dog)
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several times today, Chester was scratching his left ear constantly, and sometimes whimpering. :( We looked in the ear and it was rather moist. I don't think it is any tick because it is winter and we don't go in the woods in our backyard much. If it keeps itching tomorrow we might call the vet. I hope he will sleep well tonight without any disturbance. Chester is his usual self, though. Does anyone have any advice on what to do about it?:help:

·
Metrowest, MA
27,660 Posts
Yeah, his ear shouldn't be wet. Is there any smell to it? It might be a yeast infection. They can cause a discharge.

·
Ruth (me) Chester (dog)
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, his ear shouldn't be wet. Is there any smell to it? It might be a yeast infection. They can cause a discharge.
There is no smell.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,660 Posts
There is no smell.
OK, then it's unlikely to be a yeast infection. It could still be bacterial though… Either type of infection is treated by drops in the ear… just different kinds.

·
Dana and John
532 Posts
Several times today, Chester was scratching his left ear constantly, and sometimes whimpering. :( We looked in the ear and it was rather moist. I don't think it is any tick because it is winter and we don't go in the woods in our backyard much. If it keeps itching tomorrow we might call the vet. I hope he will sleep well tonight without any disturbance. Chester is his usual self, though. Does anyone have any advice on what to do about it?:help:
How's Chester doing?

Did he go to the Vet?

·
Ruth (me) Chester (dog)
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, we did call the vet after we saw a dark, waxy discharge in his ear. It turns out Chester does have a infection, and we have to put an ointment spray in his ear 2x a day for five days. He is doing much better but he still scratches occasionally.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yes, we did call the vet after we saw a dark, waxy discharge in his ear. It turns out Chester does have a infection, and we have to put an ointment spray in his ear 2x a day for five days. He is doing much better but he still scratches occasionally.
Hope he feels better very soon.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,660 Posts
The good news is that ear infections clear up pretty quickly with medication. He'll be good as new in no time! :)

·
2,550 Posts
Sorry to hear about Chester's ear infection. I'm sure he'll be good as new in no time with the meds.

·
Ruth (me) Chester (dog)
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bessie had an ear infection for two months!!!!
Max now has an ear infection.
Oh my! I hope Max doesn't have his ear infection as long as Bessie! The vet said to put the ointment on for five days and then it should fix itself up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts