Havanese Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I recently lost my Chewy to ITP (Immune-mediated Thrombocytopenia). He was six years old when he suddenly developed this issue and was rushed to an emergency hospital where he spent 5 days being treated for this without any improvement. We had to put him down on the 8th day because he wasn't getting any better even with several blood transfusion, steriods and even chemo. He had no platelets left and no clotting abilities. He was bleeding out.....

I can't seem to wrap my head about this disorder....no rhyme or reason. The emergency doctor described it as idiopathic-may be autoimmune issues. (???) Don't know what that means....

Can you direct me to some sites and places I can look to find additional information. I am also looking to have another precious Havanese in our lives but wanted to make sure if this may be a small dogs/Havanese issues or can larger dogs/difference breeds can experience this disorder.

I would welcome any advise or additional information.

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,142 Posts
I am very sorry to hear about your loss of Chewy. ITP is considered an autoimmune disease and many feel that it can be triggered by over vaccination. To minimize risk of ITP it helps to follow a minimal vaccine protocol for puppies and to do titers going forward, only vaccinating them again if the titer is low. This way your dog is protected from disease while minimizing the risks associated with over vaccination.

·
Metrowest, MA
30,820 Posts
I am also very sorry to hear about Chewy. What a horrible loss. As MPM said, it can happen in any breed. I do know one other Havanese it has happened to, and they managed to pull him through. He lived a number of years after that, though he had continued heath problems. It is certainly no a common disease, as I'm sure the vets told you, but I do know about three dogs who have had it. Only that other Havanese lived. I do know that the other owners were also told it was probably auto immune in origin.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts