Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, I am now officially a broken record. It has become a part of my daily routine. Not one day goes by when I get stopped by someone when I am walking Oreo, and they ask: "What kind of dog is that?, "Is it a shi tzu mix?" "A long haired Chihuahua mix?" etc :rolleyes:

Only for me to inform them that he is a Havanese and get a blank look in return. :rolleyes: Then my explanation is: "Its like a Bichon Frise with staight hair that comes in many colours...." Then come the ooohs and aaaahs, with the odd STILL puzzled look.

So, I figured I'd start this thread as a way to share a laugh with fellow Havanese owners to share how we "explain" our havanese to the multitudes out there. :D

Please share :)

·
Katie
2,217 Posts
I get the "Is it a Shih-tzu (sp?), I have one at home too"~
Then I tell them it's a Havanese and I get the blank stare!
Our neighbor has a 5 month old Shih-tzu that is only about 3 lbs. And she was telling me she was thinking of breeding it! Yikes!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Same thing. Everybody asks if it's a cockapoo, shipoo, maltipoo - anything poo. It's so funny. And then I say Havanese and get that look, you know what look because it has happened to all of you.

I'm lucky because my dogs get such exposure to people. When people come into the gym, the first thing they do is look for Kodi and Shelby. They are the official Havanese embassadors and people love to watch them run-like-hell thru the gym.

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
That sounds like a blast, seeing them RLH! They are very well socialized if you're taking them to the gym to work with you. Lucky! I wish I was out more often, but the car anxiety is making it very difficult... sigh.....

Anyway, about what people say ... yup, same here! :rolleyes: I always get, "A WHAT??" :confused: LOL I say he's in the bichon family, but not like a bichon, nope, not like the frise or the Maltese, but he looks like a Lhasa Apso when in a show coat, but not everyone knows what those are either. Nor do they know the Tibetan Terrier so then you're stuck! :eek: Yes, I got the "Oh, it's a Shih-tzu!" too a couple of times.

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL too funny. My husband told me the other day when one of his co-workers asked him what kind of dog we have, he told them "A Havanese." And the smart A$$ asks "Then what's the other hav?" Silly guy.

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
ROFLMBO !!!!!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Yes. me too. shipoo- cockapoo-- I say Havanese, they are from Cuba and then people understand the name.

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
They are still very rare here. People come up to Sam and also think he is a Lhasa or Shih Tzu. Or some "designer mix" with a pekingese. The reply I get the most is "Hav-a- what" . My husband explains Havanese, by saying "half-way-to-the-knees.":)

·
Mom to Dusty and Indie
1,181 Posts
Yup, blank stares, or "I've never heard of that." So I explain they are from Cuba and Dusty is our resident communist. Sometimes I'll tell people they are in the same family as bichon frise or maltese, but that doesn't usually help. No one has asked if she's a shih tzu, but I'm sure that's just a matter of time. The only people who have been at least familiar with the breed have been the vet and the trainer. Someone did crack a joke something like "I have knees, do you have knees?"

·
Susan
4,063 Posts
The last time we had the girls at the beach I heard a woman tell her child to look at the two "giant Maltese." After three years, I've pretty much stopped correcting people but if they ask and they often do, I'll tell them they are Havanese and usually get the same "Hava What?" that everyone gets.

More often now we do encounter people who are familiar with the breed. Oddly enough, when we were visiting Jerome, AZ (a VERY small town) a couple of years ago, we ran into a couple who actually had Havanese at home (in Tucson).

·
Riley & Monte's mom
5,579 Posts
LOL I always get “Hava What?” I did actually have one person recognize him as a havanese, we took a day trip over to Martha’s Vineyard and while sitting outside a store these people kept staring at him then finally one girl comes over and asks if Riley was a havanese, when I said yes she started yelling to her friends it’s a havanese, it’s a havanese come look this is the dog I want to get. It was so funny and gratifying to see a potential Hav owner get so excited over my little guy.

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
The last time we had the girls at the beach I heard a woman tell her child to look at the two "giant Maltese."
Susan, that is funny because I just had the opposite experience last weekend. While walking into Petsmart, there was an obvious Havanese walking out with her owner. I heard them call her "Lola", so I asked, "Oh, is Lola a Havanese?" knowing they would appreciate my ability to recognize her. LOL The owner was a little embarrassed, but replied, "No, she's just a very large Maltese." I was embarrassed. I'm going to quit asking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine too!

I get the same ole responses. Most people ask me if Rico is a Lhasa? I say Havanese and they just say "oh - okay". I guess they don't want to seem like they don't know what it is. :D

I love the "half-way-to-the-knees" That is great!

IBKAR - how in the world do you get your pup to look so good? Rico looks beautiful for about 2 hours after his bath... beyond that - he looks like a stringy mess! My husband always teases me that he looks like a mutt! But, he can't fool me - I know he secretly LOVES Rico. He has admitted on occassion that he is "alright" OR that he is the funniest dog we have ever owned!:p

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Kimberly,
LOL, I suppose it is kinda like asking an overweight woman "when is your baby due?", only to be told firmly, she isn't pregnant. Most people I run into, seem to think they are either mutts or Lhasa's. But typically when I tell them, I get, "Hava-what?". At the national in 2004 or 2005, one of the Havanese clubs had t-shirts that simply stated, "Hava-what?". They sold fast! <grin>

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Mine is always from Cuba ...blah blah

Think of Havana Knees....Cuba - Havana then they remember the Cuba connection

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,358 Posts
Kimberly - that's too funny. :)

I have a lot of people ask me if Bugsy is a Maltese and when I say he is a Havanese, I get: "Oh, I've heard of those, are they a new cross breed?"

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, what stories, I am sure we can go for hours about it :) Well, the good thing about it though is that the Havs are not so mainstream and people just don't know this breed. It's just as well, more for us to go around :)

·
Izzy, Doc, and Kai's mom
2,349 Posts
I had a lady walk by today who wanted to know all about my puppy.....I told her she was a Havanese to which she replied, "what did they mix to get that?" :confused: NOBODY knows what a Havanese is and it is funny to see the faces of people when you try to explain it. Some say she looks just like their Llapso or so an so's yorkie, etc. etc. Of course, I had never heard of a Havanese either until I saw my friends last year. What a change that day has made in my life!! :D

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Same here Judy. When I told someone Havanese they asked what is that a mix of. GRRR. Did you see the new Lowes Commercial? The lady says they cannot use glue on their hardwood floors because their Cockapoo has sensitive skin. At least I think that is what she said, maybe it was Labradoodle but I just was sooooooooooooo upset. They do make them seem like designer dogs. The scary part is you don't know what traits of either breed you will get.

We should bombard Lowe's with emails to pull the Commercial.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts