Havanese Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we took both pups the vet yesterday. Cash got is final shot before rabies, he got microchipped, got his nails ground, and threw up on the way home. Jassy got his yearly booster, his anal sacs expressed and his nails done. All very traumatic

They slept all afternoon and evening--- poor little guys. Now I have to get more fiber in Jasper's diet- I laughed at the Vet becasue all Jas will eat is rabbit.

I did try these things today called sweet potatoe chews- they sell them as an alternative to raw hide. They are 100% frieze dried sweet potato- so they are full of fiber. they both seemed to like them--- they don't last as long as raw hide. Anyone else have tried them? any suggestion for fiber?

thanks, missy

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
Hi Missy, sorry to hear you two boys are not doing too well :( But I am sure they will be right back up and about :) As for fibre I was told to give Oreo 1 TBSP of all bran buds to his diet. He likes them and I give it to him in play and when he sits and does basic commands. Those sweet potatoe treats sound great though. What are they called. I will have to see if we can find something like that here in Canada.

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Lynn, Yes, Cash has 4 white paws- more like peds or spats than socks. it is very cute.

The microchipping didn't hurt at all... I was shocked that neither of my boys even wimpered when it got done. The nails,that's another story. But if you are about to have Casper neutered might as well wait til he is asleep.

·
Cooper,Emma,Lily,Winston
2,018 Posts
I was told a little bit of canned pumpkin was a great source of fiber for them. I bought the can, but haven't tried giving it to them yet. Glad they're feeling all back to normal!
Beverly

·
Mom to Dusty and Indie
1,181 Posts
We feed Dusty sweet potato with her food and as a treat. I microwave the sweet potato for a few minutes so it's cooked but not overdone, let it cool, and cut it into cubes. Then I freeze the cubes on a cookie sheet so they aren't all stuck together, and store them in a ziplock bag in the freezer. Dusty loves them and eats them straight out of the freezer.

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
DAJsMom, thank you for that SWEET idea! I will try it because I prefer to save the "stinky" treats for tricks etc. And sweet potatoe is such a great way to get in fibre :)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
If you have a Trader Joes close by they have french fried cut sweet potatoes in the fresh area...first of all they are delicious for the parents just baked in the oven but make great treats for our "kids"!

·
Casper and Missy
2,194 Posts
I have never heard of a Trader Joes so can't get sweet potatoes there, but the idea from DSJsmom sounds like a really good idea. I think I will try one. Thanks for sharing!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts