Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Metrowest, MA
27,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had no idea how quickly Kodi would take to water... sort of like a duck!:) It took no incentive on my part to get him in... my hands are just close to him because I wanted to be able to snatch him up quickly if he got scared. He loves the water!!!

We did learn, however, that you don't let a wet, long haired puppy walk home by himself on a dirt road... I have never seen such a mess!:brick: The next time we let him swim, he went right from the water into a towel, and got carried back to the car! The last picture is all fluffed up again, relaxing at the camp site.

Attachments

·
LINDA
6,496 Posts
What a cutie. I love to see them swim. My boys like to swim, but Bella is not as fond of swimming. She will dip her body in though. Freddie will actually dive into the water from the banks!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Oh how cute he is. Some like it better than others.

I remember our first trip to the Cape with Kodi. He wasn't too sure about the water, but had fun do RLH on the beach and getting all wet. So, the next summer, we took Kodi and Shelby and were awe struck when Shelby just went running into the water like a maniac. She loves the water.

·
Karen
3,067 Posts
How cute! My Brady loves the water. Dugan, he goes in, but he is not very into swimming. We just got back from Cape Cod a few weeks ago and took the boys to the ponds at Nickerson State Park every day! They loved it.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
So adorable...slightly off topic - can you please tell me what brand of harness he's wearing? Do you like it? It looks comfortable. Thank you!

·
Metrowest, MA
27,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So adorable...slightly off topic - can you please tell me what brand of harness he's wearing? Do you like it? It looks comfortable. Thank you!
It's a "Puppy One" harness. I liked it because it was very soft, and the chest panel is breathable. However, _HE_ doesn't like it going over his head. (especially coming off, when it pulls his ears forward) He walks reliably on a loose lead now, so I just use a collar for walking and training. I found nice step-in harness with a fleece padded chest piece for the car, but I don't think it would be a good walking harness, because it probably wouldn't dry out easily between uses.

If your puppy needs a harness, and prefers a step-in style, I noticed at Petco yesterday that there is a nice soft one with the "Dog Whisperer" label on it. It doesn't have the wide chest piece though.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
It's a "Puppy One" harness. I liked it because it was very soft, and the chest panel is breathable. However, _HE_ doesn't like it going over his head. (especially coming off, when it pulls his ears forward) He walks reliably on a loose lead now, so I just use a collar for walking and training. I found nice step-in harness with a fleece padded chest piece for the car, but I don't think it would be a good walking harness, because it probably wouldn't dry out easily between uses.

If your puppy needs a harness, and prefers a step-in style, I noticed at Petco yesterday that there is a nice soft one with the "Dog Whisperer" label on it. It doesn't have the wide chest piece though.
Super - thanks so much for the information! I'll have a look around. Sounds like a step in option is preferred by the pup's!

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
Looks like he had a great time. How cute!!!

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
good to start young...

I love the coloring! But not the mud on the way home...they are sort of like living mops!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
OMG, what a cuttie! He is gorgeous and looks like Bumi's sister (almost same markings)

I still have to take Bumi swiming! :(

·
Tori's mom
4,988 Posts
I love the coloring! But not the mud on the way home...they are sort of like living mops!
:pound: Ain't it the truth, Linda!

How fun to have one who likes the water and will swim. Fun, that is, until you have to dry and brush them :wink:

Tori won't get in the water. In fact she goes out of her way to avoid us when we're in the pool. However, she will put her toes in the stream if there's something interesting enough to her, such a little princess! :drama:

·
Metrowest, MA
27,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What a little fluffball! He's beautiful : )
He's not a full ball once he's wet... then he's all legs, hocks and whippy tail. It amazes me how little there is to a Hav once you wet down the fur!<g> Here's a picture of him once's he's alrealy wet...

Attachments

·
Metrowest, MA
27,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So far, we've avoided most of the mud by catching him on the way in and doing quick feet/tummy rinses in the sink when needed.<g>

1 - 20 of 23 Posts