Havanese Forum banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Metrowest, MA
32,279 Posts
I had many aquariums as a kid and used to save my allowance to buy new fish but I have never seen anything as gorgeous as the tanks you have created. I can't wait to show my son these pictures as he is getting started in fish as a hobby.
Thank you!

Reactions: JaJa

·
Metrowest, MA
32,279 Posts
Well, now I know who I can bug with mine. Lol. I'm debating doing a complete tear down and start over on my 26g tank. I had a huge Cyanobacteria bloom that hurt. I'm left with my blue-eyed yellow pleco, kuhlii loaches, and snails. Previously I had a large school of rasboras in there as well. Most of my plants did not survive except the moss, Java ferns, and the handfuls of duckweed I take out daily. Lol.

I've never had a tank that I can't balance, but this one is giving me grief. I think my bioload was way too small, so need to figure that one out. I have an amazing LFS though, so I really just need to plan it out and figure out what I want (I like livebearers). I just wish they'd make a prefilter sponge for my canister filter so I could throw a pile of shrimp in there too. Lol.

Itll probably cost $300 to replant it and another $100 - $200 to restock it. *cry*. But I need to get it going again.
Be best advice I can give you is plant heavily and stock lightly. :)

·
Metrowest, MA
32,279 Posts
Here is my tank, so far - 68g Fluval Osaka 260 with hardscape and substrate in, plants on order, and my new step by step guide : )
LOVE it!!! i
I'm saving this picture, but when you get the tank going, and it's looking lovely, I want a photo of THAT with my book. I collect photos of my reader's tanks with my books!!! <3

·
Member (Teresa)
1,142 Posts
My word Karen, is there anything you “haven’t” done? The pictures are beautiful and I’m iamazed with all your positive reviews. I noticed you responded to one of the very few negative reviews and I was impressed. You were equitable, pleasant and a real class act. That speaks a great deal to your character. I just ordered it even though I don’t do aquariums. I like that it has a cerebral side and pretty pictures! It’s suppose to arrive tomorrow-yay😋
cishepard, Bingo is beautiful!
morriscsps, your sister-in-law is pretty funny😆

·
Metrowest, MA
32,279 Posts
LOL! My publisher was mad at me for responding at all. But at the time, the book had only recently come out, and it took my straight 5 start review and dropped it WAY down. (Because of percentages... it would have no weight now) and it seemed so unfair and petty. The “complaints were about things the book was never meant to be. I never SAID it was a biological text. It was SUPPOSED to hep BEGINNERS get started. Wasn’t my fault if he couldn’t read the cover! LOL! It just felt like a troll and hurt my feelings.

Ah well, I’ve learned to get a thicker skin. At that point, the book was still very much like a “first born child”! LOL!

·
Member (Teresa)
1,142 Posts
Troll was the first thing that came to mind for me. There are countless reviews stating what a good book it is for “beginners,” hence the term step-by-step. I appreciate and understand your passion for the things you love. He can go chase himself, that would keep him busy for a while😆

·
Metrowest, MA
32,279 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
You have NO IDEA how many people start out thinking you can put terrestrial plants in aquariums... you are NOT alone! ;)
The only plant I ever used in an aquarium was when I was little and had a goldfish bowl. We used to put some type of segmented grass-like plant in it. Each segment would make a new plant. Now I believe that some of these aquarium plants have escaped into our lakes and are now causing problems with overgrowth. I don't know if that is what I had in my goldfish bowl or not.

I've seen some people with put stalks of bamboo in a Betta fish container. I always thought that was pretty clever - until I saw the photos of your tanks. I can't get over how beautiful they are.

·
Metrowest, MA
32,279 Posts
Probably Egeria, although the one that is the biggest problem as an invasive non-native is Eurasian Milfoil, which has mostly come in via shipping, not the aquarium hobby. But invasive non-natives from ANY source, whether they come from aquarists, pond people, gardeners or boaters are a HUGE threat to the natural environment, and everyone should do their best to avoid letting it happen. It really isn’t hard to avoid letting things escape from an aquarium inside the house... it just takes thinking about it and disposing of plant material appropriately. Pond and garden foks need to be MUCH more thoughtful and careful about what plants they use and how they use them.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Probably Egeria, although the one that is the biggest problem as an invasive non-native is Eurasian Milfoil, which has mostly come in via shipping, not the aquarium hobby. But invasive non-natives from ANY source, whether they come from aquarists, pond people, gardeners or boaters are a HUGE threat to the natural environment, and everyone should do their best to avoid letting it happen. It really isn't hard to avoid letting things escape from an aquarium inside the house... it just takes thinking about it and disposing of plant material appropriately. Pond and garden foks need to be MUCH more thoughtful and careful about what plants they use and how they use them.
I Googled both and I do believe what we used was Egeria by the pictures I found. Yes, we have milfoil here too and lakes have had to be treated to control it. Not good.

·
Metrowest, MA
32,279 Posts
I Googled both and I do believe what we used was Egeria by the pictures I found. Yes, we have milfoil here too and lakes have had to be treated to control it. Not good.
The very first chapter of my book is "Biology of Aquatic Plants" and addresses the need to protect the natural places that NATIVE aquatic plants grow while protecting AGAINST invasive non-natives. It's very important, and a world-wide problem, not just here in the US. I've seen Asian plants in South America and South American plants in Asia and Australia. :(

·
Registered
570 Posts
Agreed about being careful! I use duckweed in mine which is invasive and as I said, I pull out habdfuls, but I’m so careful about disposing of it because of that. It doesn’t go down the drain because our water ends up back in the river.

·
Metrowest, MA
32,279 Posts
Agreed about being careful! I use duckweed in mine which is invasive and as I said, I pull out habdfuls, but I'm so careful about disposing of it because of that. It doesn't go down the drain because our water ends up back in the river.
Well, duckweed (Lemna minor) is native in every state in the continental US and most of Canada. It's very aggressive, that's true. But people are not responsible for that. Birds do a GRET job of carrying that around. :) Good for you for being careful of ANYTHING from your aquarium. But duckweed was here before humans were.

·
Metrowest, MA
32,279 Posts
Hi Karen, I can't find the post where you mentioned the supplement you and a couple others use. Berfore I open this I want to check again and make sure I ordered the right product.
No, it's Proviable DC. There are tons of different probiotics, and a lot of them are fine as probiotics. but that's the only one that has any track record in terms of eye stains.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Well, duckweed (Lemna minor) is native in every state in the continental US and most of Canada. It's very aggressive, that's true. But people are not responsible for that. Birds do a GRET job of carrying that around. :) Good for you for being careful of ANYTHING from your aquarium. But duckweed was here before humans were.
I saw it on a list of invasive species from the government. Apparently I need to learn how to read a legend since it was listed as native. I'm dumb. Lolol.

·
Member (Teresa)
1,142 Posts
Karen, I love your book! It was heavier than I was expecting and I like all the pictures. We had an aquarium over 20 years ago so I don’t remember much. The only thing that’s missing is words in all caps😋 I’m teasing you, I do admire your accomplishments.
I have Proviable DC in my cart for Chewy so I’ll order that. I think I was remembering wrong. Did you post something about a supplement for joints? I think you mentioned that the vet recommended giving it to your dogs because you show them. I need to close some of my tabs and narrow my research.
I’m off to read a little bit about Sunken Gardens before I get ready for bed. Nice work Karen!

·
Metrowest, MA
32,279 Posts
Karen, I love your book! It was heavier than I was expecting and I like all the pictures. We had an aquarium over 20 years ago so I don't remember much. The only thing that's missing is words in all caps&#128523; I'm teasing you, I do admire your accomplishments.
I have Proviable DC in my cart for Chewy so I'll order that. I think I was remembering wrong. Did you post something about a supplement for joints? I think you mentioned that the vet recommended giving it to your dogs because you show them. I need to close some of my tabs and narrow my research.
I'm off to read a little bit about Sunken Gardens before I get ready for bed. Nice work Karen!
My vet recommends Glycoflex for all working dogs. Mine get Glycoflex 2, which is made from green mussels, because of Kodi's beef allergy. Regular Glycoflex is made of bovine trachea. Regular Glycoflex is fine for most dogs.

Reactions: JaJa
21 - 40 of 68 Posts