Havanese Forum banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Metrowest, MA
32,278 Posts
Just amazing! Congrats on the book, Krandall :)
Thanks! It's not new though... it's just "newly discovered" here on the forum. ;)

Reactions: JaJa

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Agreed about being careful! I use duckweed in mine which is invasive and as I said, I pull out habdfuls, but I'm so careful about disposing of it because of that. It doesn't go down the drain because our water ends up back in the river.
I had duckweed in a koi pond I had before we moved. Oh my gosh, I would scoop out buckets of the stuff (and put it in the compost pile). My corgi that I had at the time loved to eat it. Yuck!

·
Metrowest, MA
32,278 Posts
I had duckweed in a koi pond I had before we moved. Oh my gosh, I would scoop out buckets of the stuff (and put it in the compost pile). My corgi that I had at the time loved to eat it. Yuck!
What I am finding kind of interesting (and annoying!) is that it is showing up inside my totally enclosed paludarium (vivarium with a pond inside it). I have NO duckweed in any of my aquariums, and have never put any into the pauldarium. The aquatic plants that were plated in that tank were tissue culture plants, so were grown in sterile cultures. I did get some tropical terrestrial mosses from a couple of different places and I didn't SEE any duckweed on any of them, but it has to have come from SOMEPLACE. I will see three or four pieces, and carefully remove them with a teaspoon, because I do NOT want it to get started. For a few weeks, I won't see any, and then... POP! I see three or four pieces again! Evil stuff! LOL!

·
Metrowest, MA
32,278 Posts
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
What I am finding kind of interesting (and annoying!) is that it is showing up inside my totally enclosed paludarium (vivarium with a pond inside it). I have NO duckweed in any of my aquariums, and have never put any into the pauldarium. The aquatic plants that were plated in that tank were tissue culture plants, so were grown in sterile cultures. I did get some tropical terrestrial mosses from a couple of different places and I didn't SEE any duckweed on any of them, but it has to have come from SOMEPLACE. I will see three or four pieces, and carefully remove them with a teaspoon, because I do NOT want it to get started. For a few weeks, I won't see any, and then... POP! I see three or four pieces again! Evil stuff! LOL!
Wow, it must be kind of like COVID for the paludarium world! That is strange though.

·
Retired Groomer
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
LOVE it!!! i
I'm saving this picture, but when you get the tank going, and it's looking lovely, I want a photo of THAT with my book. I collect photos of my reader's tanks with my books!!! <3
Well, 9 months later and already a few re-scapes, the tank is doing great. I’ve learned a lot about growing plants, balancing ferts, tweeking C02, adjusting the lights and keeping the fauna alive and well! The tank is algae free at this point and maintenance is easy and pleasurable. Some of the stem plants grow like crazy and others seem to take their time (like the Ozelot sword in the back right corner that is eventually going to fill that big gap, lol).

I’ve stepped away from most social media including forums, in an effort to greatly reduce my screen time and pursue more “organic” interests such as my koi pond, aquarium, new grandson, gardens, bonsai and my beloved companions, Mitzi and Bingo. Bingo is happy and healthy for any of you who remember him (the Shih Tzu/Chihuahua Havanese Look-alike!). These days I shave his face and feet, so he has a decidedly more Chinese Crested Powderpuff look : )

Thanks again for your book, Karen. I’ve very much enjoyed it.
And Cheers to everyone else here on the forum!

·
Metrowest, MA
32,278 Posts
Well, 9 months later and already a few re-scapes, the tank is doing great. I’ve learned a lot about growing plants, balancing ferts, tweeking C02, adjusting the lights and keeping the fauna alive and well! The tank is algae free at this point and maintenance is easy and pleasurable. Some of the stem plants grow like crazy and others seem to take their time (like the Ozelot sword in the back right corner that is eventually going to fill that big gap, lol).

View attachment 175389

I’ve stepped away from most social media including forums, in an effort to greatly reduce my screen time and pursue more “organic” interests such as my koi pond, aquarium, new grandson, gardens, bonsai and my beloved companions, Mitzi and Bingo. Bingo is happy and healthy for any of you who remember him (the Shih Tzu/Chihuahua Havanese Look-alike!). These days I shave his face and feet, so he has a decidedly more Chinese Crested Powderpuff look : )

Thanks again for your book, Karen. I’ve very much enjoyed it.
And Cheers to everyone else here on the forum!

View attachment 175390

Beautiful job!!!

And of course I remember adorable Bingo!!! And he STILL looks adorable sporting his new "do" too! Thanks for stopping in and bringing us up to date on Bingo, and sharing your beautiful aquarium!!! 💗

Reactions: GoWithTheFlo

·
Retired Groomer
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
Hi Karen,
Here it is a year later and time for a little update. My tank has gone through a few rescapes over time. I removed the wood as it seemed to attract black beard algae and I grew tired of cleaning it off. I kept taking more and more rocks out to have room for more plants, until there were none left. All of my snails died off - I think living in a prolonged low pH and high Co2 level was not healthy for them.
With no hardscape left I was leaning towards a Dutch feel to the tank and it was looking fairly nice:
Property Plant Green Output device Wood

However, it was developing some algae issues on older leaves of most of the stem plants and green dust on the glass every week that I was getting frustrated with. Adjusting light and co2, waiting a week, repeat, repeat … trimming tops and replanting, having those sections looking bad until they filled in again etc. I don’t know, I was losing interest, and looking back to the days 10 years ago when I kept a 125g low tech fancy goldfish tank with large potted plants and minimal work involved.
Finally, I made the decision to completely change up the aquascape. I removed all the plants, saving the ones best suited to a low light, non- co2 environment. I put in a 1/2“, easy to vacuum layer of fine gravel and potted the plants in black glass vases. Removed the co2 system and stopped running my t5ho lights, leaving just the LED’s. I put the driftwood back in and planted it with some anubias. Cut way back on ferts and bought more fish and snails.

Plant Flowerpot Houseplant Terrestrial plant Aquatic plant

It has been running in the new low tech configuration for almost 4 months so far and no sign of algae anywhere. The plants seem to be thriving and maintenance is a breeze. I am finding myself sitting and watching the fish a lot and enjoying the beauty rather than thinking so much about what I have to do to fix things. Karen, I think you mentioned that you prefered not being a slave to your tank … you are so right!
The aquarium now has a spare, modern feel to it that I’m sure is not to everyones taste, but I think it suits the Osaka tank, my room decor and my own sensibilities.

And because this is actually a DOG forum:

Dog Plant Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog

Mitzi is 13 now and Bingo is 5 and both are thriving! ~•♥•~
Cheers to all!

·
Metrowest, MA
32,278 Posts
I find that the tanks that are actually the VERY easiest to maintain are low light, tanks, with slow growth, easy plants, but KEEP the CO2... Just on low, you don't need to be pumping a lot in. Then you have the best of all worlds a very stable environment, with very healthy plants! But your method works too!

Plant Plant community Natural environment Flower Terrestrial plant

And your puppies look as cute as ever!!! 💕

Reactions: mudpuppymama

·
Retired Groomer
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I find that the tanks that are actually the VERY easiest to maintain are low light, tanks, with slow growth, easy plants, but KEEP the CO2... Just on low, you don't need to be pumping a lot in. Then you have the best of all worlds a very stable environment, with very healthy plants! But your method works too!
Hmmm, I don’t know why but I never thought about just having the Co2 on low. The equipment is all in place, even the inline diffuser, so I could give it a try. When I had it on before, the bubbles per second were uncountable to get to a 1.4 drop in pH, so maybe this time around I can do just an obvious 1-3 bbs or something … do you have a formula?
On the other hand, I could also just leave well enough alone al long as things are going so well. Plus the fish and snails are happy with the current pH and conditions : )

Thanks for your advice and kind words about my pups!

·
Metrowest, MA
32,278 Posts
Hmmm, I don’t know why but I never thought about just having the Co2 on low. The equipment is all in place, even the inline diffuser, so I could give it a try. When I had it on before, the bubbles per second were uncountable to get to a 1.4 drop in pH, so maybe this time around I can do just an obvious 1-3 bbs or something … do you have a formula?
On the other hand, I could also just leave well enough alone al long as things are going so well. Plus the fish and snails are happy with the current pH and conditions : )

Thanks for your advice and kind words about my pups!
What are your KH and pH now?

·
Metrowest, MA
32,278 Posts
pH = 7.4
kH = 5dkh ( I am buffering with baking soda to get this, my tap has zero)
When I had the c02 running I was using ADA aquasoil, and no baking soda. PH was, like, 5.5 during the day.
So are you also adding calcium for the snails? I’d use Seachem Equilibrium instead of baking soda, unless you have wierd water that has higher GH and no KH…Plants need calcium too…

But in any case, with a KH of 5, I wouldn’t drop the pH lower than 7. That will keep your fish and snails happy, and give you very nice plant growth.

·
Retired Groomer
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Fo gH, I add calcium chloride and magnesium sulphate as well, again, both zero in my tap. Since my background is all goldfish and koi, I am used to using these particular salts for kH and gH with my extremely soft water. My shrimp and snails are doing much better with these numbers than before.
If I try a small amount of c02, I’ll make sure it doesn’t drop the pH more than a half point or so.

·
Metrowest, MA
32,278 Posts
Fo gH, I add calcium chloride and magnesium sulphate as well, again, both zero in my tap. Since my background is all goldfish and koi, I am used to using these particular salts for kH and gH with my extremely soft water. My shrimp and snails are doing much better with these numbers than before.
If I try a small amount of c02, I’ll make sure it doesn’t drop the pH more than a half point or so.
Ah, OK! So you’ve got it covered! Should have realized you would have, from the “Dutch” photo! :LOL:

·
Member (Teresa)
1,142 Posts
Hi Karen,
Here it is a year later and time for a little update. My tank has gone through a few rescapes over time. I removed the wood as it seemed to attract black beard algae and I grew tired of cleaning it off. I kept taking more and more rocks out to have room for more plants, until there were none left. All of my snails died off - I think living in a prolonged low pH and high Co2 level was not healthy for them.
With no hardscape left I was leaning towards a Dutch feel to the tank and it was looking fairly nice:
View attachment 178734

However, it was developing some algae issues on older leaves of most of the stem plants and green dust on the glass every week that I was getting frustrated with. Adjusting light and co2, waiting a week, repeat, repeat … trimming tops and replanting, having those sections looking bad until they filled in again etc. I don’t know, I was losing interest, and looking back to the days 10 years ago when I kept a 125g low tech fancy goldfish tank with large potted plants and minimal work involved.
Finally, I made the decision to completely change up the aquascape. I removed all the plants, saving the ones best suited to a low light, non- co2 environment. I put in a 1/2“, easy to vacuum layer of fine gravel and potted the plants in black glass vases. Removed the co2 system and stopped running my t5ho lights, leaving just the LED’s. I put the driftwood back in and planted it with some anubias. Cut way back on ferts and bought more fish and snails.

View attachment 178735

It has been running in the new low tech configuration for almost 4 months so far and no sign of algae anywhere. The plants seem to be thriving and maintenance is a breeze. I am finding myself sitting and watching the fish a lot and enjoying the beauty rather than thinking so much about what I have to do to fix things. Karen, I think you mentioned that you prefered not being a slave to your tank … you are so right!
The aquarium now has a spare, modern feel to it that I’m sure is not to everyones taste, but I think it suits the Osaka tank, my room decor and my own sensibilities.

And because this is actually a DOG forum:

View attachment 178736

Mitzi is 13 now and Bingo is 5 and both are thriving! ~•♥•~
Cheers to all!
Wow cishepard that is very impressive! Ed and I tried cultivating an aquarium a number of years ago but didn't have as much success and you and Karen. We named our first fish Osaka because that's where the headquarters of his company is located and I wanted a Japanese name. Both your tanks are beautiful, I really enjoy sitting and watching a nice aquarium.
Yes it's a dog forum and I'm Havanese obsessed but we also enjoy it when people share other things about themselves. It's one of many things that make this forum unique and special. Kudos to you and all your hard work! Oh yes, and the dogs😋

·
Retired Groomer
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I was browsing FB marketplace when, lo and behold, there was another Osaka tank for sale in my town! Needless to say … I bought it.
Fluval made 3 sizes of the Osaka line of tanks. My 260 (litres) was the middle size and the new one is the larger size - 360L or 84.5g. Whoop!

I shored up the floor underneath and put the new tank on the wall opposite the old one. I am going for the same low tech, easy to maintain esthetic, with potted plants and wood. This time I am putting in a moss wall, which is basically a mesh grid suction cupped to the glass with bits of moss tied on that will eventually fill in to cover the back wall. So far I have anubias and java fern attached to Malaysian driftwood, crinum bulbs, Amazon swords and a lace leaf aponogeton, Christmas moss logs and weeping moss on the wall.

Fish will be larger and all either black or yellow. I bought an Oase Biomaster Thermal 850 filter for it, moved some filter material from my established canisters to jumpstart the filters and added 6 black lyretail mollies for the rest of the cycle. I expect no large ammonia or nitrite spikes with this combination. I’ll add more fish slowly over the next few months. Black Angels, gold Gouramis, black Corydoras, gold Lazer Cories, yellow long finned Danios, Black Knight rams, and yellow Plecos.

Nothing like a new winter project!

Picture frame Property Plant Lighting Wood

41 - 60 of 68 Posts