Havanese Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jolene’s breeder had them get their first vaccines at 8 weeks, so my vet recommended 12 weeks for her second, and 16 for the third. I remembered 16 weeks as the timing from when Charlie was a puppy (but that was a while ago) but was just reading the latest Dr Dodds research, which says 18 for the final dose…. But it also says first dose at 9-10, second at 14-15. Since we’ve been 2 weeks ahead of that schedule, any thoughts on whether it’s better to proceed with the 16 week final vax or wait a couple of weeks? Curious if there’s a detriment to waiting 6 weeks between the second snd third dose…. All being equal, I’d rather do it sooner as she is VERY eager to walk on the ground and getting worse about being carried everywhere, but curious to hear other perspectives, especially since she just finished antibiotics for the KC

Either way, we don’t plan on giving other vaccines, except rabies, which her vet suggested not doing until at least 6 mos.

And i leave you with yawny Jojo 😊

Dog Blue Carnivore Whiskers Dog breed

·
Metrowest, MA
29,178 Posts
Jolene’s breeder had them get their first vaccines at 8 weeks, so my vet recommended 12 weeks for her second, and 16 for the third. I remembered 16 weeks as the timing from when Charlie was a puppy (but that was a while ago) but was just reading the latest Dr Dodds research, which says 18 for the final dose…. But it also says first dose at 9-10, second at 14-15. Since we’ve been 2 weeks ahead of that schedule, any thoughts on whether it’s better to proceed with the 16 week final vax or wait a couple of weeks? Curious if there’s a detriment to waiting 6 weeks between the second snd third dose…. All being equal, I’d rather do it sooner as she is VERY eager to walk on the ground and getting worse about being carried everywhere, but curious to hear other perspectives, especially since she just finished antibiotics for the KC

Either way, we don’t plan on giving other vaccines, except rabies, which her vet suggested not doing until at least 6 mos.

And i leave you with yawny Jojo 😊

View attachment 175927
You could call Jean Dodd's office and ask. I THINK that giving it at 16 weeks is too early to make sure it will be after all maternal antibodies have faded. I think that's the problem. When you start that early, they usually give 4 shots, which the Jean Dodd's protocol is trying to avoid.

Reactions: Melissa Brill

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could call Jean Dodd's office and ask. I THINK that giving it at 16 weeks is too early to make sure it will be after all maternal antibodies have faded. I think that's the problem. When you start that early, they usually give 4 shots, which the Jean Dodd's protocol is trying to avoid.
Good idea…I’ll try them tomorrow. Interestingly, our vet suggested that the 16 week would be the last vaccine, so 3 total, but of course want to be sure she will have developed enough antibodies!

·
Metrowest, MA
29,178 Posts
Good idea…I’ll try them tomorrow. Interestingly, our vet suggested that the 16 week would be the last vaccine, so 3 total, but of course want to be sure she will have developed enough antibodies!
I could be remembering wrong… I don’t have it in front of me! You can also look it up on their website!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For anyone who finds this thread and is wondering, I spoke to her vet today, who is pretty minimalist when it comes to vaccines, and we agreed it would be better to wait since she was sick and on meds so recently. However, she said it’s not recommended to more than 5 weeks between the 2nd and 3rd (final) shot. Basically the Dr. Dodd’s protocol really has to be followed from the start in order for it to be safe to give the last one at 18 weeks. So she’ll get her final shot at the end of next week, when she’s just shy of 17 weeks.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,178 Posts
For anyone who finds this thread and is wondering, I spoke to her vet today, who is pretty minimalist when it comes to vaccines, and we agreed it would be better to wait since she was sick and on meds so recently. However, she said it’s not recommended to more than 5 weeks between the 2nd and 3rd (final) shot. Basically the Dr. Dodd’s protocol really has to be followed from the start in order for it to be safe to give the last one at 18 weeks. So she’ll get her final shot at the end of next week, when she’s just shy of 17 weeks.
That's what I thought. It's a very specific protocol if you are going to use it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts