Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I have been lurking for a while now, learning my way around this forum. My name is Paula and I am owned by Maddy who turns 17 mo. today. I just wanted to share with everybody the best detangler I have used so far. Chris Christensen Ice on Ice. I groom Maddy myself and we made it through the blowing of her puppy coat. I wish I had known about it back then! This stuff is the best! It also claims to leave a protective barrier to help shed rain, repel dirt, dust, urine and stools. I was skeptical about all of that at first, but since using it for a couple of weeks I have noticed she does stay alot cleaner between baths. So if you are looking for a good detangler give it a try!

I love this forum, so glad I found it! :)

Paula

·
Registered
9 Posts
hello,
my hav, charlie, doesn't have much of a tangling problem but he seems to be itchy lately and is starting to scratch his hair right off. he was treated for fleas a few months ago when i got him and hasnt been anywhere to get them. is his skin dry and itchy? anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lynn, It is a dog product. I ordered it from their website www.chrissysystems.com. I bought the concentrate it goes a long ways! It does work very well to help you brush out the matts. It still takes patience to work out a matt, but this product really helps!
Paula

·
Casper and Missy
2,194 Posts
Paula,
Thanks I am going to order some! It is so good when someone tells you what really works. thanks

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
That product sounds great, I think I will be ordering the concentrate myself - because I have a feeling that, thanks to Oreo's "fuzzy butt", we will need it. His hair is so frizzy back there, so I am willing to try it too :)

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
WhitBmom,
I call Kodi "frizz boy" because the hair across his back is frizzzzzz. But at Westminster yesterday, I noticed that not every Hav had a long, flowing, silky coat. Some had a more coarse (frizz-like) texture. When I talked to some of the handlers, they told me that they can have either type of coat, and according to show rules, need to be shown in their "natural" coat.

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
Thanks irnfit for that info. I figured it had to be because his Sire looks like a big puff ball. Mind you, he IS gorgreous :) His coat is so dense and it is not straight. I guess Oreo's bottom half is much like his father ;) LOL

·
Yoda
1,210 Posts
Yoda is fuzzy on his rear end and his head after his bath he is a big O fluff ball But his coat right now is matting real easy so I have to comb him out more often now.with his coat changing from puppy to adult I think is why he is matting so badly .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Paula & everyone!!!!
I am almost scared to ask???? What is "blowing out the puppy coat" and how bad is it? When does it start (Oscar is 15 Weeks) and should I begin doing something now?

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Carla,
There is nothing you can do to prevent it from happening, it is a normal process all dogs go through. In our breed, lot's of brushing is required, more then normal during this time, as they are "shedding" off the puppy coat and getting their adult coat. If you don't brush it out, the coat can mat like you have never seen. Some people has even said that during this time, their puppy was brushed completely free of all matt's and then within an hour later, had more. So each dog can be different. Don't worry though, you will know when it happens. Typically anywhere from say 10 months to 14 months depending on the dog.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi everyone!
I have been reading all of your praises for Ice on Ice and am going to order it along with Chris Christensen's shampoo- but I also would like to order a new comb or two- Which combs/brushes work the best? I am looking for recommendations.
I just gave my puppy a bath this evening- It just takes so much shampoo to get him soapy and clean! And though his coat gets clean, it lacks the shine I see on pictures of other havs here at the forum.
I am going to post my fluffy puppy when I figure it out!
Thanks!

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
Ithink the difference between the two is because one is a concentrate - the one I bought and the other is just the regular formula. I bought the other one because I know that the small bottle would not last me long. I simply use 1 Tbsp at a time with 8 oz water and it lasts me more than a week, so I believe I am getting my money's worth :) Oreo really has a frizzy rear end and so far my review with Ice on Ice is that it has helped me to eliminate his little matts with such ease. It actually makes brushing more bearable for him. As for his stinkiness, it does not eliminate it but I find that his paws, underbelly and chest remain pretty white and I find he feels like he's been bathed after brushing. I think the outdoor smell is pretty hard to get rid of. Escpecially with these wet, snowy, and muddy Canadian winters.

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
AHA! Well duh! :rolleyes: I guess I didn't read the fine print! lol

Thanks, Helen. I'm thinking I might get some of the Ice on Ice. Ricky's got a fuzzy butt too!

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
One thing that is important to remember is to comb out your Hav BEFORE you give them a bath! It will minimize the matting that might occur while shampooing and rinsing. So, give your dog a good brushing, getting out all the mats first, THEN bathe him. Otherwise, those mats will be next to impossible to get out once they've been wet! :(

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Hi
I am just getting used to the difference in coats . My first dog Asta was so easy to maintain compared to the two I have now . I kept him in a puppy cut as he had not been handled much and he was real squirmy . He always did better for the groomer than he did for me .. She would shave his tummy as he was a velcro dog and he picked up everything . He was very active and loved to be outdoors and go on walks and hikes ..No worries the way she did it you would have never known the belly was shaved ..
Cosmo has a longer thicker coat and he looks like he could be corded as it tends to string on its own ..
Now I am definetly aware of all the differences in the breed ..
Ahnold has a very fine coat and he mats more easily .
I will try some of the probucts you mentioned . I am just the maintenace person Lois the groomer is the one who keeps them looking adorable and cute .. She is amazing - the dogs just fall under her spell .
Cosmo was upset the day I took Ahnold because he wanted to go too..
I really admire all you ladies who do it yourself .. You are amazing and your dogs loo fantastic and the pictures are adorable ..
Thanks for sharing and all the info

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
I've tried various detanglers & spray conditioners, including Ice On Ice, and my constant favorite is The Coat Handler Conditioner. It is a leave-in product and can be used as a spray detangler also. It is a very soft, silky conditioner that doesn't seem to leave a residue that builds up on the hair.

Cosmosmom, yes, Ahnold's hair is very fine and prone to matting. I am hoping he will outgrow that with some time. In the meanwhile, The Coat Handler conditioner was a nice product for misting when I would do his brushing. Your Cosmo has a gorgeous coat!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts