Havanese Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can firmly support that you need to be diligent to keep up the litter box— we did both, but Jo preferred going outside from day one, and as soon as she figured out how to hold it and tell us she needed to go out, she totally stopped using the tray. We kept it out for months and then finally put it away when it became clear that it wasn’t going to happen.
At 4yrs old,totally trained on potty pads, now placed in liter box,she has recently been trained to go outdoors as well & continues both ways without any problem..

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
We've trained some number of hundreds of Havanese puppies to litter boxes, and haven't found a better system for us yet. We start them at 3 weeks old though, so have no experience starting them later. They can run loose in our house at 7 to 8 weeks old, and not have an accident. Most learn on their own to prefer the outside, but will still use a litterbox if necessary.

Never had a problem with one eating too much of it, or even very much of it. Most will try it, but lose interest.

Look at any of our screened porch videos, and you will see young puppies using the boxes..

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
I just went out on the screened porch and took this picture. The two litters of puppies have been out there since before lunch. If you look closely, you will see no puddles or poop on the floor. There are some poops in the boxes, but they've been sleeping for a while, and I didn't want to wake them. The ones in the picture only woke up when I went out there. They are 7 and 8 weeks old.

At this age, this is too much room for them to wake up in, and expect them to find the boxes. we let them fall asleep out there, and sleep for a while, but we try to bring them in while they're still sleepy to finish the nap in their sleeping pens.
Product Plant Interior design Flooring Floor

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
A couple of those litter boxes were added as they were needed. When they first started staying out there longer, and longer, one puppy would pee on the floor where that back left box is, and a few days later that box in the middle was added for another puppy. That ended the peeing on the floor.

They had too much space to start with, but it's always a process of finding what works. Once the first mistake happens, something needs to change. They gradually, and gradually earn the right to more space.

When they first go home, the expen needs to have room for their bed and potty area, and no more. They don't "need more room". They earn the right to have more room, and if properly timed, very quickly as over a matter of days.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New pup arriving soon. A few litter box questions…

1) How much litter to use? I bought a litter box with sides for the expen. I have read on here about people moving the litter box where the pup is playing, but I’m not sure how people are doing that since the litterboxes are so heavy once the litter is added. How thick of a litter layer is necessary in a box with sides (no grate)?

2) I can’t seem to add pics for some reason, but I might also get a litterbox without sides for the living room and found this huge one. (40x28) Maybe it’s too big, I don’t know. Do you think there’s enough room for litter under the grate? https://www.amazon.com/AQUST-Toilet-Protect-Training-AMT-1100/dp/B09R4JYFNV/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?crid=FLH4TR0ILUVL&keywords=pet+time+grand+dog+toilet&qid=1654614711&sprefix=oet+time+,aps,151&sr=8-7&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.08f69ac3-fd3d-4b88-bca2-8997e41410bb

3) Training help- Pup has no experience with litter from breeder, so I know it might not work- but any tips on how to get pup to use it? I set up the small expen like Karen suggested with just a step between bed and litter tray. I was thinking of placing a pee pad on top of the litter at first with a few pieces of litter on the pad and then slowly adding more until I can remove the pad?

I have had great success with the litter box. A HUGE piece of advice from one of the Havanese forums was to use bedding pellets from Tractor Supply. Not sure you have one near you - but this is so much cheapter than what is sold in PetSmart, etc. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tractor-supply-pine-pellet-stall-bedding-40-lb

·
"I AM the Brute Squad"
2,312 Posts
Fezzik still has a litter box in his expen. I keep thinking that I will take it out but every so often he uses it in the night. Then there was that one time he had an upset tummy. So glad that he used the litter box. I have one with a grate because he eats the pine pellets which I get from the local Agway.

Reactions: krandall

·
Registered
15 Posts
At 4yrs old,totally trained on potty pads, now placed in liter box,she has recently been trained to go outdoors as well & continues both ways without any problem..
Yes, same for me and my pup. He now uses pee pads in a box and also goes outside. The box is so convenient since I live in a high rise and we don’t want to venture out early mornings, especially in winter. Also, when traveling he goes right to the pee pad or outside now. Makes it easy and convenient. What a relief after months of worry (will he ever get this?) and clean up!!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts