Havanese Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks
This summer we travelled from San Diego to Miami for vacation. Couldn’t resist a stop in Little Havana for lunch where we captured this photo. She is now 10 months old and thriving beautifully.

The heat was pretty horrible but she managed and her coat took a beating.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mammal Carnivore Liver Dog breed Felidae
Hi
I got My first Havanese almost 2 years ago and then I had to get another. They are so amazing!
I love the color of your friend. Is he considered a Havana brown?
If I can get a photo up I’d like your opinion of this puppy’s color. The color charts are pretty intense!! The pup is one week old and the litter had a chocolate and white but this puppies nose is black or the darkest brown ever.
Do you have a pic of your sweetie as a puppy that you could show me

Attachments

·
Metrowest, MA
31,844 Posts
This puppy is a sable. He looks like he will probably be a gold sable, but that will be easier to tell when he is a bit older. But there is no doubt that he is sable.

·
Registered
965 Posts
This puppy is a sable. He looks like he will probably be a gold sable, but that will be easier to tell when he is a bit older. But there is no doubt that he is sable.
I agree! He looks a lot like my Charlie as a puppy, who is registered as gold brindle but I think is actually gold sable bc he didn’t have the tiger stripes.

This is him at 4 weeks:
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Liver Companion dog

And here he is at recently, at 10 😊

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Liver

·
Metrowest, MA
31,844 Posts
A lot of breeders mistakenly call sables “brindle if they have a black mask. The mask actually comes from a different gene.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I agree! He looks a lot like my Charlie as a puppy, who is registered as gold brindle but I think is actually gold sable bc he didn’t have the tiger stripes.

This is him at 4 weeks:
View attachment 178807

Thanks so much I learn a lot on here
Your doggie is a beautiful color. I haven’t seen that color before

View attachment 178813

·
Metrowest, MA
31,844 Posts

·
Metrowest, MA
31,844 Posts
I took it to mean a bit hard to follow and figure out :)
Ah, yes, Havanese color genetics are very complicated, because there are MANY “modifier” genes, and we do not know the markers for them all yet, nor do we fully understand how they influence base color genes!

Reactions: Melissa Brill

·
Registered
43 Posts

This is him at 4 weeks:
View attachment 178807

View attachment 178813
What an itty bitty cute puppy. I love his color
When you said gold I pictured it so differently. To me (I’m new at Havanese) his color looks so unique like a really pretty smokey gray
Havanese always look so happy!

·
Metrowest, MA
31,844 Posts
When you said gold I pictured it so differently. To me (I’m new at Havanese) his color looks so unique like a really pretty smokey gray
The problem is, the breeder has to put something on the registration for a color, at a time when they really have NO idea what the puppy will look like as an adult. And AKC doesn’t help, because the color choices they even allow you to CHOOSE don’t line up with color genetics. So breeders have to make the best guess and the best choice they can at 8-12 weeks, when they need to register the puppy.

·
Registered
965 Posts
His color is constantly changing! I’m pretty sure he has the silvering gene (I think someone told me there’s a gene for that but I’ll defer to @krandall) Right now it’s more grey, though more blond on his underside, but other times it’s much more of a flaxen/light gold color. His changes were most striking in his first year, which is often true of sables (a few more pics of that below, before his first haircut when the dark tips came off), but even 10 years later, he keeps us guessing!

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Liver Companion dog

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Liver Fawn

Dog Sky Liver Carnivore Companion dog

·
Registered
43 Posts
His color is constantly changing! I’m pretty sure he has the silvering gene (I think someone told me there’s a gene for that but I’ll defer to @krandall) Right now it’s more grey, though more blond on his underside, but other times it’s much more of a flaxen/light gold color. His changes were most striking in his first year, which is often true of sables (a few more pics of that below, before his first haircut when the dark tips came off), but even 10 years later, he keeps us guessing!

View attachment 178850
View attachment 178852
View attachment 178851
What a cutie but the color changes are so amazing Lola was almost all black and now has so many other colors like white tannish silver …and she’s not even 2
It’s something so fun about this breed.
thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
What a cutie but the color changes are so amazing Lola was almost all black and now has so many other colors like white tannish silver …and she’s not even 2
It’s something so fun about this breed.
thanks for the info!
the silver gene is really interesting because it seems to affect each dog differently. I was pretty sure that Perry was a silver when i got him at 8 months old (he had a touch of white between his toes and he had/ has the more reddish areas around his face that are often signs of a silver) and his sister was very silver already at 8 months old... and through the years you could see some bits of white hair popping out throughout his body, especially in his tail, and at 6+ he's still adding more silver, but his silver, for the most part, is more like a dull black (charcoal gray) against a dark black and, other than a few specific places, you have to really look for it.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,844 Posts

View attachment 178850
View attachment 178852
View attachment 178851
I think it would be REALLY hard to tell just by looking if a sable had the silver gene. I I don't believe there is currently a DNA test for silver for Havanese. There is for one breeds, but unfortunately, these colors aren't on the same locus for all dog breeds. So they have to hunt it down over again for some breeds. That seems to be the case for ours! My GUESS is that dogs like Perry (and like Pixel, who also shows some "sometimes" silvering, and we know she has silver behind her in her family and she has a visible silver sister) inherited a single copy of the silver gene.

But then there is this "other thing" in Havanese that causes many blacks to sort of fade to a "dusty charcoal" color, NOT silver like a silver poodle or true silver Havanese. This happens to a LOT of black Havanese, but not all. And I don't think we know the gene that causes that either!

·
Registered
102 Posts
View attachment 178789 Hi
I got My first Havanese almost 2 years ago and then I had to get another. They are so amazing!
I love the color of your friend. Is he considered a Havana brown?
If I can get a photo up I’d like your opinion of this puppy’s color. The color charts are pretty intense!! The pup is one week old and the litter had a chocolate and white but this puppies nose is black or the darkest brown ever.
Do you have a pic of your sweetie as a puppy that you could show me
I am far, far, from an expert but he looks like a sable to me. He’s still very little though, it will probably be m prominent as he grows.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts