Havanese Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 19 mos old male Havanese, Matisse, is terribly lonely after we recently lost his brother/ litter mate, Dali over the holidays.
The vet suspects Dali was born with something called a portosystemic shunt. He passed away just a few days after going into an uncontrollable series of seizures. It was devastating to me especially since I thought I had taken every precautions to select the appropriate breed, breeder, vet, etc. I waited for nearly 25 years until I had the best environment possible for my future companions.
I have contacted the breeder who basically was extremely defensive even after explaining to her that I was not blaming her just wanted to let her know in case she was still breeding those parents. She seemed more concern about herself then the dogs. She did offer to sell me another puppy for half price but with no warranty or contract, since technically she did not owe me anything as my 12 mos contract had expired.
I am looking for a new male that my Matisse can run and play with. I am willing to drive to surrounding states to find the perfect mate.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I feel terrible for you and Matisse. When you bring these little ones into your life, you picture many, many years of happiness with them. I am so sorry this happened and I hope you find a wonderful companion for Matisse and you.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. I am also sorry for your breeder's response when you contacted her. My Papillon was diagnosed with Atypical Addison's Disease and when I contacted his breeder to let her know she never contacted me. She never asked how he was doing. I didn't contact her to complain but just to let her know and just in case for others who had been in his litter or who had his parents. Even though it might not be genetic, I thought she would at least be concerned about him since she was suppose to be a "reputable" breeder who shows and is involved in the toy dog association in her state and a member of the Papillon Club of America. My opinion of her changed since she never bothered to reply. I should have known the first time I gave her an update about my Papillon a year after getting him and she didn't reply to that either. :(

What state are you in? I don't see that mentioned.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Artsy - I am so sorry to hear about losing Dali but am excited for you to find a new companion for Matisse; both great names by the way. :)

I encourage you to review the Sticky: Things to Look for in a Reputable Breeder. I've read that Iowa has over 300 backyard breeders (BYBs) so you'll want to do your homework and not purchase your next puppy from a breeder that presents red flags.

Good luck and :welcome: to Havanese Forum!

·
Starr
1,227 Posts
I am not familiar with any breeders local to you. Have you looked at the breeders listed with the North Star Havanese Club which includes Iowa?

http://www.northstarhavaneseclub.com/Pages/BreederReferal.aspx
Kim, the list you provided should be very useful for anyone in the Midwest. Some of the breeders have "puppies available" noted below their listings.

Artsy, I am so very sorry for your loss. The indifference shown to you by the breeder was shameful. Liver shunts in the Havanese can cause mild to devastating consequences, and the breeder should have at least responded to you. If you know any of the owners of littermates, you may want to contact them privately in case their puppies did not develop and thrive as normal Havanese.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. I've always rescued my dogs from animal shelters, so don't have any advice on breeders, but I will say that my two puppies get along great even though they are different breeds and different sizes. Best of luck to you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts