Havanese Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahhh I see. I was on a waitlist with Nancy at havanaeseinsocal (she had 8 puppies in February with 8 deposits) but one family cancelled the other day so I made a deposit with her because the puppy would be available in April. The deposit with Nevena is for an upcoming litter.
Hi. I was wondering where you ended up getting your puppy from. I have talked to Nevena as well after finding her on AKC marketplace, but I'm a bit weary after seeing the one review from someone else. It's hard to make a decision off just 1 review.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello. We have been searching and trying to get in contact with several breeders in Southern California without much luck. I have spoken with Marilynn at Encore Havanese who might have a litter or two this year as well as Nevena from Nevena Havanese. However, I'm not sure if these two are reputable breeders.

Does anyone have any experience with either of them? and also is $4800 for a havanese puppy a reasonable price?

Can anyone recommend breeders in Southern California as well .. aside from Ohana and Kokomo? I know they are super exclusive but we don't need to go that route.

Thank you all in advance!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi. I was wondering where you ended up getting your puppy from. I have talked to Nevena as well after finding her on AKC marketplace, but I'm a bit weary after seeing the one review from someone else. It's hard to make a decision off just 1 review.
I do not recommend Nevena at all. She is not committed to these puppies and will not help you with any issues that may come up. She takes ZERO responsibility for her dogs. My puppy has horrible anxiety and behavioral problems. I have no idea what happened to him before I got him. He had puncture wounds on his head and his foot and an ear infection. Run as far as you can from her and do not look back.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do not recommend Nevena at all. She is not committed to these puppies and will not help you with any issues that may come up. She takes ZERO responsibility for her dogs. My puppy has horrible anxiety and behavioral problems. I have no idea what happened to him before I got him. He had puncture wounds on his head and his foot and an ear infection. Run as far as you can from her and do not look back.
OMG that makes me so sad! Can we report her and save all the dogs and puppies that she has. These dogs do not deserve this at all!

·
Super Moderator
3,785 Posts
These two breeders are familiar to me in Southern California. I am not a breeder and have no interest in becoming a breeder, I just love the breed.

My understanding is that the going rate for a super exclusive, quality Havanese in SoCal is $3000 to $3500.

I would never purchase a Havanese from Nevena.

I would purchase a Havanese from Encore, but I understand she is currently sold out

Ohana is sold out for at least the next year on future litters. I understand that Kokomo is sold out too. (Both excellent breeders) Another good breeder is Kolmar in Riverside. I talked to Mark a couple of weeks ago and he has nothing for sale for AT LEAST a year, he doesn't breed frequently. He is not a production breeder, he is a quality breeder.

The truth is that quality Havanese are sold out way in advance. If you want a healthy, well bred Havanese then you want a "super exclusive" Havanese and it is best to get on a wait list. You can purchase a Havanese from an unsold litter but there is a reason they have puppies for sale - bad reputation with poor or no health testing, no training as a young puppy, and poor customer service.

I drove from Palm Springs to Washington State (two days each way) to pick up my Ricky 7 years ago because there was nothing available in SoCal and I didn't want to settle for second best. Best decision I ever made.

If you really want a quality Havanese then join the Havanese Club of Southern California and attend our meetings. That way you will be first to know when something is available by networking with the members.

Havanese are the cream of the crop in dog breeds. It is worth the wait to get one that is well bred (otherwise it could be a nightmare). Good fortune.

Reactions: krandall

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I completely understand that. So $4800 is a total rip off! Thank you for that. We're just so intimidated by the exclusivity of the high caliber breeders, but I was able to speak to Lisa from Ohana yesterday and she told me to contact her in a couple weeks because she may have two girls pregnant right now, which made it sound like she hasn't chosen the families for those litters yet. Marilynn from Encore was super nice and is also willing to give us a call in case one of the families back out. I should mention that we are not in a hurry to get a puppy as we would like one that is of high quality, but understand that it could take years for one so we'd like to secure a breeder at least.

We have considered travelling further away to pick up a puppy, but want to avoid a plane ride, and we were worried about how a puppy would do in a long car with new people. Do you have a recommendation regarding how to handle a long drive if we chose a breeder further away?

One more question...how about havenese in so cal? I spoke to her as well. Any insights on her?

·
Premium Member
3,204 Posts
$4800 is high but over $4000 is not. Price really isn’t any indication of the type of breeder. This particular breeder has come up on the forum before and doesn’t have a great reputation, but it’s not really related to cost. Although there is a generally average price point regionally, breeders are going to charge based on many factors and charging more than or less doesn’t mean they are making a profit, it can mean their overhead expenses are higher or lower for one reason or another. To me bigger red flags in general are if puppies are available right away or the price is very low.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
$4800 is high but over $4000 is not. Price really isn’t any indication of the type of breeder. This particular breeder has come up on the forum before and doesn’t have a great reputation, but it’s not really related to cost. Although there is a generally average price point regionally, breeders are going to charge based on many factors and charging more than or less doesn’t mean they are making a profit, it can mean their overhead expenses are higher or lower for one reason or another. To me bigger red flags in general are if puppies are available right away or the price is very low.
Thank you! We were expecting to pay that much for a havenese puppy so it wasn't completely surprising to us. We are just trying to make sure we are doing the appropriate research. I had a bad feeling about Nevena when I kept asking her to give me a call because i would prefer to talk over the phone and she kept dodging my request. So we will move on from her. Now I'm just extremely upset about the welfare of her current dogs and puppies.

·
Premium Member
3,204 Posts
Although I complete understand the point, and I hope I can say this properly, I’m not a huge fan of describing a Havanese from a reputable breeder as “exclusive.” It is very easy for people to say, “I don’t care about having a fancy, exclusive show dog, I just want a healthy Havanese.” In fact, I would guess very few people are looking for an exclusive dog, they’re looking for a family companion. The problem is there is really no such thing as something “in between.” An ethical breeder with a good reputation in the Havanese community is going to have a wait list, and price is really not an indication of a quality breeder. When people are discussing the cost of Havanese here on the forum, they are not talking about “show” dogs. They are talking about the pet price from a breeder who does appropriate health testing, is knowledgeable about the breed, and breeds only the number of dogs that they are able to give personal attention in a home environment. There just aren’t a ton of breeders that meet this basic criteria, because Havanese aren’t overly popular or over bred at this point. The alternative is paying the exact same amount of money for a Havanese but not getting those assurances, because there is no incentive for a puppy mill or backyard breeder to charge less. Any Havanese being sold for far less than the average regional rate is suspicious, imo.

I’m not sure I’m making my point very well, but what I’m trying to get across is that you shouldn’t feel intimidated, like it’s an exclusive club, or feel like you’re shopping for luxury car. This is the normal process of ethically choosing a puppy that isn’t a rescue, but for some reason our culture hasn’t normalized this process yet so it still feels kind of strange and it’s easy to feel insecure about it along the way. It’s also why I think one of the most important things to consider in a breeder is that you feel like you can trust them and have a friendly personal relationship with them, because a good breeder is an incredible resource in guiding people through all of this.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I understand what you're trying to say and thank you for that! This isn't our first dog, we had a rescue that passed about 2 years ago, but going through a breeder is new to us which is why I thought to sign up to this forum to learn more, which I am. Any further advice or comments is definitely welcome. This is why I am here. :)

·
Metrowest, MA
29,822 Posts
These two breeders are familiar to me in Southern California. I am not a breeder and have no interest in becoming a breeder, I just love the breed.

My understanding is that the going rate for a super exclusive, quality Havanese in SoCal is $3000 to $3500.

I would never purchase a Havanese from Nevena.

I would purchase a Havanese from Encore, but I understand she is currently sold out

Ohana is sold out for at least the next year on future litters. I understand that Kokomo is sold out too. (Both excellent breeders) Another good breeder is Kolmar in Riverside. I talked to Mark a couple of weeks ago and he has nothing for sale for AT LEAST a year, he doesn't breed frequently. He is not a production breeder, he is a quality breeder.

The truth is that quality Havanese are sold out way in advance. If you want a healthy, well bred Havanese then you want a "super exclusive" Havanese and it is best to get on a wait list. You can purchase a Havanese from an unsold litter but there is a reason they have puppies for sale - bad reputation with poor or no health testing, no training as a young puppy, and poor customer service.

I drove from Palm Springs to Washington State (two days each way) to pick up my Ricky 7 years ago because there was nothing available in SoCal and I didn't want to settle for second best. Best decision I ever made.

If you really want a quality Havanese then join the Havanese Club of Southern California and attend our meetings. That way you will be first to know when something is available by networking with the members.

Havanese are the cream of the crop in dog breeds. It is worth the wait to get one that is well bred (otherwise it could be a nightmare). Good fortune.

Please listen to this...

Reactions: ohweewee

·
Metrowest, MA
29,822 Posts
Yes, I completely understand that. So $4800 is a total rip off! Thank you for that. We're just so intimidated by the exclusivity of the high caliber breeders, but I was able to speak to Lisa from Ohana yesterday and she told me to contact her in a couple weeks because she may have two girls pregnant right now, which made it sound like she hasn't chosen the families for those litters yet. Marilynn from Encore was super nice and is also willing to give us a call in case one of the families back out. I should mention that we are not in a hurry to get a puppy as we would like one that is of high quality, but understand that it could take years for one so we'd like to secure a breeder at least.

We have considered travelling further away to pick up a puppy, but want to avoid a plane ride, and we were worried about how a puppy would do in a long car with new people. Do you have a recommendation regarding how to handle a long drive if we chose a breeder further away?

One more question...how about havenese in so cal? I spoke to her as well. Any insights on her?
If Lisa told you to call her back, JUMP at that offer. Sometimes waiting lists can be fluid... people fall off lists for one reason or another, and many of the BEST breeders do not go is "list order", but choose the best homes for their piuppies. She might have liked what he heard from you!

·
Metrowest, MA
29,822 Posts
Agreed... Somewhat. I kind of think $4800 is price gouging. But these days, $4,000 is getting be closer to going price in many parts of the country. I know only a few who are still down at $3,000. The fact of the matter is the costs of EVERYTHING has gone up, and that means it cost even MORE to come even CLOSE to breaking even on a litter, especially a small litter, which generally costs almost as much to raise as a big litter.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,822 Posts
Thank you! We were expecting to pay that much for a havenese puppy so it wasn't completely surprising to us. We are just trying to make sure we are doing the appropriate research. I had a bad feeling about Nevena when I kept asking her to give me a call because i would prefer to talk over the phone and she kept dodging my request. So we will move on from her. Now I'm just extremely upset about the welfare of her current dogs and puppies.
She has been in business for a LONG time. I don't think you are going to be able to do anything about that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If Lisa told you to call her back, JUMP at that offer. Sometimes waiting lists can be fluid... people fall off lists for one reason or another, and many of the BEST breeders do not go is "list order", but choose the best homes for their piuppies. She might have liked what he heard from you!
oooh! I will definitely call her back then!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Agreed... Somewhat. I kind of think $4800 is price gouging. But these days, $4,000 is getting be closer to going price in many parts of the country. I know only a few who are still down at $3,000. The fact of the matter is the costs of EVERYTHING has gone up, and that means it cost even MORE to come even CLOSE to breaking even on a litter, especially a small litter, which generally costs almost as much to raise as a big litter.
Definitely agree on the price front… our breeder charged slightly less ($2500), but that’s just because her two girls have had really large litters the last couple of times. Still still had a waitlist, but easier to cover all of the costs with larger litters, like Karen said. My opinion is that much over $4000 sounds overly opportunistic, or like someone who is charging a lot to seem like they have better pups.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I can’t get the

With regards to travel, it sounds like you may have some good So Cal options, but if not, I have flown to pick up both my pups (9 years ago and this summer). It was easy enough, and the pups were fine. I also know people who have driven long distances. Most good breeders will acclimate pups to cars and to crates/travel bags, so they’re comfortable enough and not too scared. If you drive, it is nice to have two people so one can sit in back with the puppy. And bring lots of towels in case of accidents or throw up. I think from my perspective the main issue is visiting beforehand… I didn’t do this with my first pup (she was pretty far away) and regretted not having met the breeder in person or any of her dogs, even though I had heard the breeder was reputable. This time, we visited over the summer, when the pups were 7 weeks old. While it was amazing to get to meet so many adorable pups, think it might actually be best before there are puppies, if the breeder is open to it, because you can get a sense of their dogs’ personalities, the setup, and talk to them without the distraction!

·
Premium Member
3,204 Posts
i agree that $4800 seems too high, to clarify, I just don’t think that price is a very good indication of a quality Havanese or breeder. $4,000 is absolutely not unreasonable, though, and I wouldn’t eliminate a breeder based solely on a higher price. I think there will be other red flags with a breeder that is price gouging. In this particular case there are tons of other red flags, as well as a lot of forum experiences. The cost of living has risen so quickly that putting a specific price on a Havanese could change again in a year. It is hard for me to swallow considering it’s so much more than what we paid for our Havanese 4 years ago, but I’ve been in the market for a car for a while now so nothing would surprise me!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I can’t get the

With regards to travel, it sounds like you may have some good So Cal options, but if not, I have flown to pick up both my pups (9 years ago and this summer). It was easy enough, and the pups were fine. I also know people who have driven long distances. Most good breeders will acclimate pups to cars and to crates/travel bags, so they’re comfortable enough and not too scared. If you drive, it is nice to have two people so one can sit in back with the puppy. And bring lots of towels in case of accidents or throw up. I think from my perspective the main issue is visiting beforehand… I didn’t do this with my first pup (she was pretty far away) and regretted not having met the breeder in person or any of her dogs, even though I had heard the breeder was reputable. This time, we visited over the summer, when the pups were 7 weeks old. While it was amazing to get to meet so many adorable pups, think it might actually be best before there are puppies, if the breeder is open to it, because you can get a sense of their dogs’ personalities, the setup, and talk to them without the distraction!
Thanks so much for that input. This is very helpful indeed!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts