Havanese Forum banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

Super Moderator
I have no promises from any breeders yet, but looking forward to continue to speak with the good ones to see if we have a chance with one of their puppies. All the good ones don't take deposits. We're feeling a bit hopeless somedays and don't know if we'll ever get a havanese puppy. Crossing our fingers though.
The fact that the best breeders don't take deposits is good news for YOU. They don't take "first come first served." They try to find the best home for a puppy based on compatibility of both family and puppy personality and temperament. The fact that you might be last on the list doesn't mean that you won't be the first one to be selected for a pup. Hopelessness is not the way to get a quality Havanese, determination and patience is the way to get a puppy with your name on it. Get involved with local Havanese club activities to show that you are really serious about finding the perfect dog. I searched for 6 months before I found the Havanese of my dreams - 1000 miles away! And WOW! did I ever get the perfect Havanese for me, not necessarily for everyone, but for ME. He is lying next to me right now, just snoozing. I get separation anxiety when he is not with me!

Expect to pay $3000 to $4000 for a quality Havanese from a good, reputable breeder in SoCal. We have talked about a few of them in this thread. Another good one is Mary Lopez of Amor Havanese in Yuba City (north of Sacto) if you are willing to travel a day to get one. Top, top quality Havanese pups.

Premium Member
Thank you for the input! It is almost tempting to go with Nevena to just "rescue" her pups!

We're prepared to pay $5K or more for a puppy if needed, just as long as we know exactly what we're getting. I was just curious what the norm was as to not feel like we are getting taken advantaged of.

I have no promises from any breeders yet, but looking forward to continue to speak with the good ones to see if we have a chance with one of their puppies. All the good ones don't take deposits. We're feeling a bit hopeless somedays and don't know if we'll ever get a havanese puppy. Crossing our fingers though.
You definitely will get your puppy- just may take longer than planned! Keep us posted!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Thank you both for the reassurance! Anything good is worth waiting for.

Havanese breed question...do any of yours know how to swim?

Metrowest, MA
Thank you both for the reassurance! Anything good is worth waiting for.

Know how to swim or LIKE to swim? Those are different questions. We used to have a pool, and made sure that Kodi was "swimming pool safe", in that he knew how to swim and knew how to get out of the pool "just in case" he ever fell in. Likewise, Panda once charged into the water at the Cape... not realizing it WAS water, because of the long grass at the edge. She calmly, swam around past the grass and back to shore with a look of "I TOTALLY meant to do that" on her face. ;) So those two, at least, for sure can swim, and I am pretty sure the others could too, if presented with the right circumstances. Do they like to swim? No. All of them like to paddle around in shallow water at a lake or stream in the summertime, and Kodi likes to lie down with his tummy in the cool water. But none of them particularly like the feeling of having their feet off the bottom.

Maybe if they lived in a warm climate, where it was part of their day to day life, and it was a priority for us, it would be different, and they would have gotten used to it. But here in New England, we really only have two "beach weather" months, and I've never felt like pushing it, since dealing with a bunch of wet long haired dogs is not particularly fun!

Premium Member
My husband takes our two to the baylands for walks. A few years ago they were walking on a path when Scout decided to chase a duck or goose into water. Scout had never been in water, but paddled away. My husband had to jumped in to retrieve him because he knew I was not going to be very happy! Scout does likes getting his paws wet at the beach, but Truffles avoids water.

Super Moderator
I can tell you only about my experience. Ricky does not like to swim alone. But put some dogs in a swimming pool during the summer and he LOVES to swim. He will take a running leap and belly flop into the pool. His favorite game is to play Marco Polo in the water by barking at the other dogs. I hate drying him afterwards. And I don't like for him to drink treated pool water.

Reactions: krandall

Registered
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
hahahah these are all super cute answers!!! I ask because we have a pool in our backyard, but it is covered. Good to know they at least can swim. We had a french bulldog, who became ill a couple years ago, and she just hated water lol.

On to the next question...anyone do agility training with their havanese? and how do they do on small hikes? Again with frenchie experience, both were not very easy with her.

Super Moderator
On to the next question...anyone do agility training with their havanese?
@KarMar a member of this list, has been very successful with agility on the AKC circuit with her two Havanese. In my opinion, Havanese are capable to do almost any competition if they have the right temperament and their owners train with them. @krandall 's Kodi is the highest scoring Havanese in AKC Obedience competition in the USA, although he is retired now.

and how do they do on small hikes? Again with frenchie experience, both were not very easy with her.
Ricky and I walk about 5 miles a day in both urban and rural areas. At the end of the day, he is ready for more hiking but I am not.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
@KarMar a member of this list, has been very successful with agility on the AKC circuit with her two Havanese. In my opinion, Havanese are capable to do almost any competition if they have the right temperament and their owners train with them. @krandall 's Kodi is the highest scoring Havanese in AKC Obedience competition in the USA, although he is retired now.

Ricky and I walk about 5 miles a day in both urban and rural areas. At the end of the day, he is ready for more hiking but I am not.
Thanks @DogFather. I reached out to Mary Lopez from Amor Havanese and she just told me two of her puppies have become available after cancellations from some families due to covid. Did I read correctly that you think a puppy from her would be of good quality? She sent me information of the parents and the sire is 9 years old and the dam is 6.5 years old. @krandall, I believe you are a breeder...is there any concern with these ages for breeding?

Super Moderator
Thanks @DogFather. I reached out to Mary Lopez from Amor Havanese and she just told me two of her puppies have become available after cancellations from some families due to covid. Did I read correctly that you think a puppy from her would be of good quality? She sent me information of the parents and the sire is 9 years old and the dam is 6.5 years old. @krandall, I believe you are a breeder...is there any concern with these ages for breeding?
Mary is an excellent breeder. Here is what I wrote on Havanese Forum several years ago about Mary.

I know when I was searching for my dog I searched the Internet, I looked for recommendations from local clubs, and I contacted local breeders (some of whom were on the Internet and some weren't). I consulted the HF files on selecting a breeder. I did talk to Heather from Cache Havanese in Nevada who wrote the post on selecting a breeder. She was very helpful, but said she had nothing for me. she suggested I talk to a breeder in Sacramento. There was nothing available to me locally, so I did call the breeder in Sacramento (Mary Lopez, Amor Havanese) who had a 6 y.o. successful show dog that was being retired. The breeder did express some reluctance when I told her we were an active family and she said her dog was a "couch potato." But she agreed to sell and I made arrangements to drive to Sacramento to pick up "Talk of the Town". Two days before pick up date, the breeder called me and said she had changed her mind. (I was not selected because my active lifestyle was not compatible with the more sedate temperament of the dog she was going to sell me) A week later a local breeder called me and said she had a lead on a highly sociable, gorgeous 9 m.o. puppy that was doing well on the show circuit in the Northwest. He was being sold because it had been determined that he had a potential MINOR abnormality that would prevent him from being shown further on AKC and therefore was unsuitable as a stud dog when an adult. Two weeks later we drove to Portland, OR, and picked up "Welcome to the Jungle" Ricky Ricardo (ex. Mojito, ex. Slash). The rest is history. And I think he would still be very competitive in AKC conformation if it weren't for the fact he is missing his cajones.

So yes, see what you can work out with Mary. You might get a dog related to "Talk of the Town" a beautiful black and white parti with championship structure.

Metrowest, MA
hahahah these are all super cute answers!!! I ask because we have a pool in our backyard, but it is covered. Good to know they at least can swim. We had a french bulldog, who became ill a couple years ago, and she just hated water lol.

On to the next question...anyone do agility training with their havanese? and how do they do on small hikes? Again with frenchie experience, both were not very easy with her.
These are NOT Frenchies! These are 鈥渘ormal鈥 dogs with long coats. They can do anything any other normal dog can do! LOL!

And yea, Havanese compete in many sports, including agility, at the highest levels. There are Havanese that compete in the AKC agility championships (one of them bred by the Kings, here on the forum) and Havanese that compete in agility at Westminster. My older, retired guy competed successfully in agility, and my current competition girl was trained for agility, but then health problems side-lined me.

Here is my old guy and me competing:
Dog Carnivore Yellow Companion dog Street fashion

Dog Carnivore Gesture Grass Companion dog

When it comes to hiking, Kodi hiked EVERYWHERE with us when he was younger, from the mountains in VT and NH, the Nova Scotia, and the Smoky Mountains in North Carolina. Basically our dogs go everywhere with us!

Water Plant Dog Sky Tree

Sky Water Cloud Plant Smile

Dog Tree Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog

Plant Plant community Leg Sky Luggage and bags

He also has happily snow shoed with us鈥
Snow Dog Tree Carnivore Mammal

And kayaked with us鈥
Water Boat Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Watercraft Vehicle

Oh, and he is also the highest ranked Havanese in the US in World Cynosport Rally! He has held that spot for 6 years now.
Dog Purple Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog

Metrowest, MA
Yes, Mary, is an excellent breeder. And no, absolutely NO problem with the age of the dogs.

Reactions: DogFather

Premium Member
I don鈥檛 have personal hands-on experience training a French bulldog, but my brother has one. We visited them and stayed the night with Sundance and i have a hard time even comparing them because they are so different. However, they did get along. Sundance swam with us in their pool but their dog has never been interested, even when it鈥檚 over 100 degrees. Sundance is highly food motivated, but nothing like their dog! It was also strange to me because their bodies seemed to be similar in size but their dog was incredibly muscular and more than twice as heavy. I was flattered because he warmed up to me and sat with me often. Sundance handled that sort of oddly. I worried about him guarding, because he has been more 鈥済uardy鈥 since the beginning of covid when I was home with him constantly for months. But he wasn鈥檛 too bad about that, he was more overstimulated by the constant presence of another dog. Sundance has always been good with other dogs, but it took him much longer to settle, and he was on alert almost the entire time, I think due to such a decrease in socialization the last couple of years. The frenchie has a much different temperament, he was both more subdued than Sundance in some ways yet also more intense. Their dog doesn鈥檛 tolerate long walks, either. Sundance will walk as long as we do, so we have to watch and make sure he isn鈥檛 pushing too hard. I enjoyed their dog more than I expected, he really won me over by seeking me out, but he felt more high maintenance in a lot of ways. They love their dog, but I鈥檓 not sure they鈥檇 choose the breed on their own. He belonged to other family members before they had kids and he didn鈥檛 adapt especially well to kids in the house. He wasn鈥檛 bad with the kids or anything, my impression was truly that he didn鈥檛 adapt very well and they didn鈥檛 feel his needs were being met. Sundance loves kids and 鈥渁ction鈥 around him. He鈥檚 up and involved when people are active and calm and relaxed when they aren鈥檛. Sundance is a huge performer but wants engagement from his people. i think he would do well in formal training with someone more experienced than I am. I can鈥檛 speak to his conformation, though. I鈥檓 sure everyone thinks this about their dog, but there is something about his personality when he is running down the hall and showing us all of his best moves that makes me think he is a champion at heart. I never would have guessed that as a puppy. He was more timid and hesitant by nature, but performance seems to bring out his confidence.

I also just remembered, their dog strikes me as more independent. He is fine home alone while Sundance tolerates it.

Metrowest, MA
I didn鈥檛 mean to suggest that Frenchies aren鈥檛 nice pets. They have, in general, lovely dispositions. Like Havanese, even MORE than Havanese, ALL they were bred for is to be nice pets. However, they have been bred for SUCH an extreme body and head type that they have all kinds of breathing and soundness problems, and NO exercise or heat tolerance. Worst, they can鈥檛 even produce their own live young. Virtually every Frenchie is the result of artificial insemination, because the male will usually get exhausted before he can get the job done, and then a C-section, because the female鈥檚 hips are too narrow to allow the birth of her large-headed pups. I think that, individually, they are darling, but it is not a breed that I could encourage the continuation of breeding by purchasing.

Premium Member
I hope I didn鈥檛 imply that, either. I鈥檓 not familiar enough with the breed to know what characteristics are individual temperament vs. breed traits in frenchies, so I tried to give my own general impression assuming someone more familiar could pick that out better. A lot of it is perception and personality.

Metrowest, MA
I hope I didn鈥檛 imply that, either. I鈥檓 not familiar enough with the breed to know what characteristics are individual temperament vs. breed traits in frenchies, so I tried to give my own general impression assuming someone more familiar could pick that out better. A lot of it is perception and personality.
No, I didn't think you were... I was just thinking maybe I had! LOL!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I'm just now catching up...and @krandall I love all the pictures with your havanese! We are looking forward to being able to bring ours along with us everywhere as well.

I would agree with all of the above regarding the frenchie breed. I was so young when I got her and did not realize until later how they were bred. This is the main reason we are not going for a frenchie. But I will say that Riley (our frenchie who passed) was THE best with our children. She was our first baby and of course we were worried that she would not take well with the newborns, but omg we were pleasantly surprised at how well she behaved with them. She knew how gentle she needed to be with them and she would always ask me to play with them first. And my boys had a mutual respect for her and her space. It all went surprisingly well until she got ill, and it took me about 2 years to say I'm ready for a new dog. We got lucky with her because she didn't have the breathing problems like others but she didn't like the heat and oh boy was she intelligent. We were able to train her a lot of tricks, but that girl was so stubborn. They don't call them bulldogs for nothing lol.

Thank you @krandall and @DogFather for the input on Mary! this is very promising.

Premium Member
I'm just now catching up...and @krandall I love all the pictures with your havanese! We are looking forward to being able to bring ours along with us everywhere as well.

I would agree with all of the above regarding the frenchie breed. I was so young when I got her and did not realize until later how they were bred. This is the main reason we are not going for a frenchie. But I will say that Riley (our frenchie who passed) was THE best with our children. She was our first baby and of course we were worried that she would not take well with the newborns, but omg we were pleasantly surprised at how well she behaved with them. She knew how gentle she needed to be with them and she would always ask me to play with them first. And my boys had a mutual respect for her and her space. It all went surprisingly well until she got ill, and it took me about 2 years to say I'm ready for a new dog. We got lucky with her because she didn't have the breathing problems like others but she didn't like the heat and oh boy was she intelligent. We were able to train her a lot of tricks, but that girl was so stubborn. They don't call them bulldogs for nothing lol.

Thank you @krandall and @DogFather for the input on Mary! this is very promising.
My brother鈥檚 frenchie must be good with children because he still visits the other family members frequently and vice versa. At one point before they took him permanently he even switched off between the houses for a few months at a time. I really think it鈥檚 more that he didn鈥檛 adapt to the schedule changes and demands that go along with having a baby, and maybe the family felt they weren鈥檛 adapting, either, with sleep deprivation, etc. It seems like it might be a good example of an individual temperament thing, and honestly it probably happens more than people talk about regardless of breed. If they aren鈥檛 鈥渂ad鈥 with kids or acting out, it鈥檚 not something that people are likely to broadcast because they feel bad that the dog might be unhappy. I think in this situation they handled it well. He鈥檚 a sweet dog, just very different from Sundance. I鈥檓 sure you and your kids will love your Havanese just as much, he鈥檒l just be a different experience! Some people intentionally switch between breeds to avoid too much of the wrong kind of comparison between a new puppy and a special dog that has passed away.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #59 · (Edited)
So we're prepared to wait months for a quality dog, but Mary from Amor Havanese said one of her puppies whose family backed out due to covid would be a good fit for our family! This seems way too good to be true. Everywhere I've read on this forum is that I should be waiting months for a quality puppy. And I've also read to get a puppy from Mary Lopez if I get a chance. This pups sire is GCH Amor's Suit N Tie. And we can pick him up early next week...He is a super cute sable male who we will facetime in the morning. Lol.

We haven't made our decision yet, but according to everything I've been hearing from you all, I should get him right? We just need some reassurance with our decision given it's happening MUCH faster than we anticipated.

Super Moderator
Mary @ Amor Havanese is very particular about who gets her puppies. If Mary says it is a good fit for your family, I would believe her. After all, Mary turned me down for one of her dogs because she thought it wouldn't be a good fit.

Yes you sometimes have to wait months to get the right puppy and sometimes the stars align and you get a quality puppy right now! You just have to be in the right place at the right time and ready to go.

I won't tell you what to do, but if I were in your position, I would be all over that puppy right now. A sable with GCH daddy - this is way too good to be true!

41 - 60 of 66 Posts