Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is Casper's class going?

I've been meaning to ask you, but my toddler has had pneumonia, and I haven't been getting a whole lot of extra "me" (AKA: Computer) time.

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
JodiM, sorry about your little toddler. I am sending you and your little one "good vibes" and wishing your child a speedy recovery :)

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Extra Hugs and Kisses to your little one. Hope he/she gets better soon

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone, Lucas (toddler) is doing better. He still has a cough, but the fever has passed, and the laboring to breath is gone.

Lynn, that is really scarry, I bet you and Casper were both really on edge after that. I would definitely talk to the trainer, hopefully he will have a good solution.
They really need either 2 classes, or to have the animals separated (big/little).

Princess is doing much better in the car, we have figured out to take her for a walk first, and to make sure she's in her bag. We've tried the plastic crate since then, and she still slobbers everywhere. If she's out of the bag, she slobbers everywhere. So we have learned, we don't go anywhere without her bag. :)

She started conformation classes, and the trainer (also our new vet) told us that she didn't really need the basic puppy obedience class, because she's almost potty trained, and I have her doing some of the basic commands already.
We've been to two of the conformation classes, and the first one was hard.. it was really a battle of wills. I won, but the little turkey wouldn't even look at me for the rest of the night. She got in bed with me, and then went to lay with hubby instead. lol

The second class went really good.. she's doing pretty good on her lead and she stacks ok.

My teenager did last week's class with her, and I saw the first part when I dropped him off, and caught the tail end of it. I think he may be our handler.. he just doesn't know it yet :p

I'll try and catch the chat, but it probably wont be until Monday... our weekends are crazy, as all 5 kids play drive Mommy nuts. :D

·
Casper and Missy
2,194 Posts
I am so gald Lucas is better. You probably need a rest now, yourself.

It is funny you said Princess was upset with you after class, because I was going to ask the trainer of our class if they do that. Last class Casper did well, but when we got him home he was a monster. I could not get him to calm down.

I think I can handle Casper during class better than my husband, he is all force and I give a little when I can and try to make him happy he is being good, does not always work.

My favorite new command is sit - stay, I love it! I really didn't think he would be able to do it,
but he can.

anyway, hope all the kids stay well, have a good weekend.

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
post puptum depression....

Hi All, so i got home last night with this precious little guy--- and all I could think of is "what did I do?" Jasper doesn't know what to make of Cash and he has been giving me very human looks like "what have you done to me."
when the puppy tries to innitiate play Jas runs (my poor little boy)

On the good side he seems to be paper trained already. And he is very sweet. so different from Jas when he was a puppy. much more needy and demanding
jas was always independent.

But I had this moment last night-- Jas was in bed with us (to make him feel special) lying next to my pillow- and Cash was in his crate inches from my head-- and I looked at my husband and said "what is going on here?" don't I have allergies- when did we become dog people.

But this morning things are a better-- Puppy is taking a nap and Jas is on his favorite chair basking in the sun and barking at leaves that blow by- and I have been able to get a bit of work done.

So hopefully they will begin to be best pals-- I have two weeks to make it work in which time the breeder will take him back. I am hoping it all works out

Jodi, hope lucas is feeling even better.

Lynn, you should definetly talk with the teacher about the Big dog. it must wreck it for everyone in the class.

Just curious--- any of you with Black and White puppies think they look like a skunk? Cash's legs are so short and he just kind of waddles. But then when he runs he hops like a bunny. Jasper never really had the Hav run. I just hope they start to have fun I love my Jas so much - I want him to be happy

thanks for listening

Missy

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Congrats on your new baby. I'm sure Jasper will learn to love Cash in no time. Have fun with your babies. I'm jeolous. Might be a year before I get another.

·
Amanda
9,576 Posts
Lynn,
Definetly mention something to the trainer! It could prevent something in the future. The inexperienced handler might not just realize what a risk she puts others and her own dog at when the dog gets lose.

A lot of what training is about, is making people more aware of their dog!

Amanda

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Hi, Missy
I felt the same way. On the ride home from picking up Shelby, I wanted to turn around and bring her back. Two dogd?! But they are doing just great and make me laugh all the time, so it is worth it all. I am sur that Jas and Cash will be friends real soon and you will have just as much fun.

It will be fun to see who tries to be alpha and who gets jealous, and who initiates play first. Just give them space to learn - tey will figure it all out.

Good luck to you all ;)

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
Congratulations Missy on your new addition! Cash is a sweety. I think time and patience is the key here, so try not to worry about it. Rather, enjoy these little moments with little Cash. I am sure Jasper will come around in time. I personally think dogs have a different way of dealing with new pack members. As long as no one is getting hurt, no worries, things will get better - I am sure of it :)

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Thanks guys, I've been feeling a bit crazy. like. "what's wrong with me to feel this way " It's good to know time is the key. Already Jas seems to be getting used to the idea. He Has been doing his Biz really quickly on his walks and then pulling to go back in. and right now he is lying right outside Cash's X-pen.

tonight, my husband started throwing balls- jasper just watched--- but Cash is a natural retriever. He got the ball and brought it right back. It took jas a year to learn that (and he only does it for a rabbit fillet)

Cash's "skunk" look is growing on too-- the breeder says it is the cuban lines (his dad is real cuban havanese) they are shorter and stockier and their tails aren't quite as curled up --- I think there was a thread on the cuban tail set (although I hope his tail comes up more as he grows)

Cash makes my little Jas look very statuesque.

thanks again for all your support

Missy, Jasper and Cash (ok and my husband Michael too)

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Hi
It sounds like the ice is melting ...
AS to the color black and the tail . I have only had black Havanese so I cannot relate to the other colors .
Asta was black with a white bib just a little white on his feet - he looked like he walked through paint . His tail was a little limp when he was a baby but when he grew up he had a lovely plume . Give it time - he is just a baby
Cosmo is black as well but his coat is different - a little more kinky .He has just one white paw and a white bib as well . right now his plume is a little stringy but he carries it well and he looks like a Havanese .. He has the strut ..

·
Casper and Missy
2,194 Posts
thank you all, for giving me the back up to know that is the correct thing to do. I will call him and talk with him before next class.

Missy congratulations on the new puppy! Jasper will love Cash in time, now he probably doesn't want to share you, but he will benefit later because he will have a playmate.

Wishing you the very best, you know you have all our support!

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Missy~ I'm sure Cash and Jasper will be best buddies in no time. It sounds like Jasper is already starting to get used to the puppy if he is laying outside his crate.

Lynn~ Keep us posted on what the trainer says.

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Missy- Congrats on Cash - what a cutie pie. I know how you feel, just this morning, before I saw your post, I was looking at Logan in his crate & feeling the potty frustration saying to myself, what was I thinking??? 3 dogs??!!!? I know it will pass - I guess we all think alike.
Laurie

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Hi Laurie, thanks for the note about similar feelings with Logan. How old is Logan now? refresh my memory, when do they start to really get the potty thing? Cash is three months, and I seem to remember that Jasper was pretty good by then-- But then again, Cash is in a new home. everything is new. We got jasper at 8 wks. Cash is about 60/40 - 60% in the right place.

These two guys are polar opposites. Jas is White, Cash is Black. Jas is serious and sensitive, Cash is carefree. Jas is a finicky eater, Cash is a chow hound. Jas is patient, Cash wants everything now. And Jasper was always mellow even as a puppy.

But we are beginning to see a glimmer of exceptance from Jas of this new little guy who came in and invaded his space. We took them both out yesterday and outside jas initiated some play.

good luck with your baby

Missy

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Missy,
Logan is 15 weeks, so almost 4 months. I know for sure that the girls were farther a long with the training at that age. But this is the first boy I have ever had - if that means anything (maybe they train later) Lily & Lexi took to him right away, we never really had any problems, except Lexi has pooped in the house a few times - so I think she is mad at us, not Logan. Logan is a WILD man!! He loves to kiss you, nibble on your ear, jump on his sisters & he runs soooo fast!! He is fun to watch. I am sure I wouldnt be complaining as much if it were 70 degrees out, then I would take him out all the time. But this teens to the 20s is for the birds. I just worry as the girls play so rough with him, and growl a lot!! although they never hurt him, so he keeps going back for more. I love that he likes to lay on your chest to take a nap! It is the cutest thing. I will be thinkin about you too!!
Laurie

·
Casper and Missy
2,194 Posts
Hi everyone,
Just wanted to let you know about our puppy class tonight, Jake (the big dog -lost control last week in class) was taken out of class. The trainer set up another training program for him.
And tonight it was sooo much better we were all having fun. We are on class number 5 now, and we are really getting to know some of the dogs and their owners.
The dogs work alot closer together now, we weave in and out of each other and the dogs all get along.
The trainer has bought a new large dog in the class, he has asked his daughter to bring in a 3 yr old german sherpard, very well controlled. They took part in class tonight. I think he wants us all to think good thoughts about big dogs, we were all kind of dramatized after last class.
Anyway much better tonight, I am back to loving my puppy classes!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Lynn, glad to hear your class went better. I think the trainer sounds great. He knew enough to take care of the problem but was smart enough to know that little dogs should mix with larger ones because you don't want them to be afraid of them. :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts