Havanese Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maggie is doing pretty well with potty training, still a few accidents. She uses the potty bells consistently. She sleeps 8-9 hours at night in her crate....YAY! She is eating well, but kind of finicky. She knows the commands here, sit, leave it, and her name. She is working on "walk with me" leash training and is a social butterfly! She was at the vet last week for her vacs, and I specifically told them NOT to administer the lepto and they did anyway. I was livid!!! She was really sick in the car on the way home, and felt crappy for 3 days! 馃が Poor sweet baby!!! Because of covid, parents are allowed back in the rooms, so if I had been there I could have stopped it from happening. Anyway, it is in her chart to NEVER do that again. Here are some pics of how big she is getting. Almost 4lbs.
Dog Blue Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Water dog Companion dog
Dog Dog supply Carnivore Working animal Dog breed

Attachments

Owned by a Havallon
That is terrible and unfortunately very common. I would be livid. Not sure I would give that vet another chance.

Someone I know from another group wanted to raise her dog without vaccines. She was very upfront about this yet they took her to the back and essentially gave her everything. The dog died of vaccine induced distemper which was extra sad since she was planning on not vaccinating him.

Your dog will likely be just fine. Mia had the lepto vax twice. Her problem was mainly with the rabies vaccine.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is terrible and unfortunately very common. I would be livid. Not sure I would give that vet another chance.

Someone I know from another group wanted to raise her dog without vaccines. She was very upfront about this yet they took her to the back and essentially gave her everything. The dog died of vaccine induced distemper which was extra sad since she was planning on not vaccinating him.

Your dog will likely be just fine. Mia had the lepto vax twice. Her problem was mainly with the rabies vaccine.
What problems did she have with the rabies vax? Maggie is due for that May 31. Michigan Law requires the rabies vax. Is there anything I can do to prepare for it or help her with it when she gets it?

Owned by a Havallon
What problems did she have with the rabies vax? Maggie is due for that May 31. Michigan Law requires the rabies vax. Is there anything I can do to prepare for it or help her with it when she gets it?
Mia had seizures following her rabies vaccine which she had occasionally for many months afterwards. One important thing to do is to make sure the rabies vaccine is given by itself and not with any other vaccines. This way you will know for sure if it causes issues. If so, you may be able to get an exemption for future vaccines depending on the laws in your state. Also, make sure you do the 3 year and not the 1 year.

My understanding is that side effects are rare. I believe there is some sort of homeopathic that can be given to help minimize vaccine reactions. If @krandall sees this, perhaps she can comment. Going forward, you could titer your dog instead of vaccinating her again. This way you know the dog is protected without the risk of vaccination. However, this is not legal typically so you would have to take that into consideration.

Registered
I agree with having the Rabies separate from any other vaccines. Here the first rabies shot is always a 1 year shot, then after the first one, you can get a 3 year shot IF your vet offers it. This may vary from state to state, I think.
Same is true with the distemper but not many vets around me offer the 3 year. I switched vets because of this.
My sympathies on the Lepto. My vet almost gave it once after I expressed to 3 people that I did not want it. I noticed the printing on the label and questioned it just as he was about to inject Shadow.

Registered
I don鈥檛 think a reaction to one vaccine is necessarily indicative of a reaction to another. My understanding is the Lepto vaccine can be harder on some dogs, and on a lot of Havanese, which is why it鈥檚 discouraged for Havanese as a routine vaccine. Be mad about it, avoid it in the future, but don鈥檛 stress about it.

I hope you can find a new vet for the rabies vaccine. Even if there isn鈥檛 an office near you that allows owners in the room with their pets because of covid, there are plenty of offices that handle it better than that. Administering it separately from other vaccines is a precaution you can take. Other members know more specifics.

I usually try to be understanding, knowing our vet鈥檚 office is slammed all of the time, and it鈥檚 like this at veterinary offices in a lot of places. But I just don鈥檛 have the patience for these kinds of mistakes anymore. During the first year of COVID these things came up and I feel bad for those pets, but I understood how it could happen. If they didn鈥檛 implement documentation protocols and communication strategies to prevent these kinds of mistakes in the absence of an owner back then, and they procrastinated changes the second year thinking it was all going away, it was always broken and they aren鈥檛 going to fix it now. Covid is not the reason this happened, imo. I don鈥檛 want an office with that kind of disorganization and poor problem solving treating my dog in an emergency.

Owned by a Havallon
I think vaccine has become so routine that there can be a tendency towards sloppiness. Owners are getting wiser too and want to have a say in how their dogs are vaccinated. Vets are not used to that. We should not have to live in fear of our dogs getting out of our sight at the vet, yet it seems that is the reality.

I also think there is a lot paranoia around lepto since it is tranmissible to humans. Someone I know had a 14 year old yorkie who the vet vaccinated for lepto against the owner鈥檚 wishes to 鈥減rotect the staff鈥. Yikes.

Metrowest, MA
This is the homeopathic that is specific for Rabies.

There may be cheaper options, I didn鈥檛 look. Just wanted to show you the name and strength to look for. 3 of the little balls in her water starting the day before the vaccine and for one week after.

It is EXTREMELY uncommon for a dog to have an adverse reaction (other than possible pain at the injection site) to an initial Rabies vaccine. If they are to have a bad reaction, it is more likely to a later one. Even then, it is very uncommon. Most dogs tolerate it quite well. Which is good, considering that it is the ONLY vaccine required by law in any state. Lepto and Lyme vaccines have the highest chance of side effects.

Do not allow your dog to be vaccinated with more than one vaccine at a time. (ESPECIALLY RABIES AND ANYTHING ELSE!) Wait at least two weeks between vaccines. MOST vets will accommodate this without charging for an extra vet visit because they KNOW it is better for the animal. A tech can give the second vaccine. Do not give wormers, heartworm meds and or flea and tick meds at the same time as a vaccine. Space out by at least a week, preferably two. Spacing these out does two things. It allows the animal鈥檚 immune system time to recover, AND, if the animal IS going to have areaction, now you know what they reacted to, rather than trying to guess.

Tucker 2007-2020
If you give rabies, I suggest to insist on Thimerosal (mercury) Free version, in addition to spacing all vaccines out individually by at least 2 weeks apart.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts