Havanese Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Metrowest, MA
Oh, he鈥檚 beautiful!!! 鉂

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you, everyone! Mando is getting groomed for the first time next week. I鈥檓 admittedly a little nervous because of some of the stories I鈥檝e heard and pictures I鈥檝e seen before. I want him to remain a fluffball in a puppy cut. Please let me know if you鈥檝e got any tips beyond showing pictures, or any pictures of your fur babies that I could use.

Registered
Thank you, everyone! Mando is getting groomed for the first time next week. I鈥檓 admittedly a little nervous because of some of the stories I鈥檝e heard and pictures I鈥檝e seen before. I want him to remain a fluffball in a puppy cut. Please let me know if you鈥檝e got any tips beyond showing pictures, or any pictures of your fur babies that I could use.
i posted some pics of Piper after her first baby groom at 16 weeks! i asked for just a sanitary trim and some tidy up around her face and paw pads (as well as a bath/blow dry/nail clipping). my groomer told me that for a puppy that young she really would only do a sanitary trim/some tidying trimming because a full haircut is A LOT for them during their first time w/ the groomer and that she wants to make it as stress-free and positive as possible. as great and gentle and patient as this lady was poor lil pipey still whimpered quite a bit during her full bath, so be prepared for that!

Also once you see Mando completely soaking wet, try not to laugh out loud at the way he looks like i did! they look like tiny pitiful little squirrels when soaked and it made me chuckle a lot. piper wasn't amused but i gave her a few frozen blueberries to make up for it lol

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i posted some pics of Piper after her first baby groom at 16 weeks! i asked for just a sanitary trim and some tidy up around her face and paw pads (as well as a bath/blow dry/nail clipping). my groomer told me that for a puppy that young she really would only do a sanitary trim/some tidying trimming because a full haircut is A LOT for them during their first time w/ the groomer and that she wants to make it as stress-free and positive as possible. as great and gentle and patient as this lady was poor lil pipey still whimpered quite a bit during her full bath, so be prepared for that!

Also once you see Mando completely soaking wet, try not to laugh out loud at the way he looks like i did! they look like tiny pitiful little squirrels when soaked and it made me chuckle a lot. piper wasn't amused but i gave her a few frozen blueberries to make up for it lol
Thanks, @NotAMuggle. I actually have Piper's picture saved from your post about the first grooming. :) Those are all great points from your groomer. Mando hates bath time and I'd be surprised if he didn't whine quite a bit when he gets groomed. Then again, he sits quietly for the vet tech when they trim his nails but doesn't cooperate for me so we'll see. I think I'm going to ask for something along the lines of what Piper had at her first grooming, too. I love how fluffy and sheep-dog like he is right now and want to enjoy it before he starts blowing coat. :) I was able to find a mobile groomer so that hopefully helps ease some of his anxiety (no crating/wait time and he gets one-on-one attention).

I totally laughed the first time I gave Mando a bath. My husband and kids asked me if Mando was okay since he looked so odd wet - he also looked mad and pitiful.

Registered
Not sure if I this will be allowed with Covid regs, but I would recommend asking if you can stay during his cut.

For me the most important thing would be to say don鈥檛 cut around the eyes!!! Don鈥檛 know if you want him to have a fringe or a topknot but just reiterate that even if you want a fringe cut above his eyes don鈥檛 cut around his snout into the eye corners or you will be constantly having to get it trimmed as it regrows. My groomer was lovely and let me stay, but I could see her twitching to cut into those corners馃ぃ I relented once and really regretted it, even though she was lovely and said I could pop in anytime unannounced for her to quickly shorten it as it grew back. In my opinion (which is just my opinion but of course always right, just ask my husband馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃactually don鈥檛) it鈥檚 better to just let it grow out and it will eventually be long enough to flatten down with the rest of the nose hair.

Anyway, as Karen always says 鈥渉air grows鈥 or it could have been something similar that my Nan used to say about plants, either way both are right馃槝

PS we will need pics馃槏

Registered
My advice - if it doesn't turn out like you want, don't worry - it grows fast! Two weeks after Perry's biopsy (they shaved a big area along his spine) I took him to be groomed and had them use the smallest guide/ comb and just two weeks after the other area being shaved, you could barely tell where that area ended and the newly groomed short area began. So, any problems and they'll be gone in weeks (for puppy cut length - a bit longer if you want a full coat again).

Around the eyes - I fluctuate. When I have to groom him myself for extended periods I don't let the groomers cut that, but now that we're in the US for an extended period I've let it be cut because even when it grows out - for Perry the way his grows it seems to constantly be across his eyes. I'll probably go back to not cutting it (though then I have to deal with it growing out again).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts