Havanese Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

New to this forum. I am the owner of an almost 5 month old Havanese named Nala. I decided to look for blogs/forums solely dedicated to this breed for guidance/tips etc. Nala likes to eat but like many Havanese, she is a finicky eater. She has suddenly stopped eating breakfast at her normal time and waits until much later to eat it. I started feeding her boiled chicken but she has developed diarrhea so we immediately discontinued it. Her normal diet consists of Fromm鈥檚 puppy gold dry kibble with some Fresh Pet Beef raw food which she appeared to like but has become rather finicky with it. I am stressing out over her eating habits so if anyone is able to provide some feedback, it would be greatly appreciated (she will eat her dinner, all of it, most likely because she is hungry 馃槂)

Attachments

Registered
Welcome! Nala is adorable! There was a long thread on food just a couple of days ago that might be helpful鈥. I鈥檓 not currently having issues with my dog eating, but he went through a picky phase and the detailed advice in the thread below is awesome! Eventually we wound up switching charlie to just one meal a day, because he was inconsistent about whether or not he would it, and it worked for us. So he鈥檚 a dinner-only dog now, with a healthy treat in the morning so he doesn鈥檛 get reflux.

Metrowest, MA
I have written about this SO many times! Havanese puppies are smart. They are Master Manipulators! LOL!

Put it down quality food of YOUR CHOICE at a time of YOUR CHOICE. Pick it up after 10 minutes, whether she has eaten or not. Repeat at her next meal time. Do not offer it again, do not offer anything else, do not coax or cajole, and NO SNACKS! For a couple of days, skip other training, so you are not feeding training treats. THIS is more important training at the moment.She gets NOTHING but her regular meals right now. Assuming that she is healthy, and you have not suggested otherwise, heathy dogs WILL NOT starve themselves, even if they skip a few meals!

What is needed here is some tough love. She is manipulating you, and this breed is well known for it. Believe me, if you let this continue, it will only get worse.

Owned by a Havallon
I would feed her once per day and see how that goes. She will be less likely to reject the food if she is hungry. By feeding twice and her possibly rejecting the food, the rejection behavior may be enforced.

Metrowest, MA
I would feed her once per day and see how that goes. She will be less likely to reject the food if she is hungry. By feeding twice and her possibly rejecting the food, the rejection behavior may be enforced.
I don鈥檛 think it is a good idea to move 5 month old puppies to a once a day feeding schedule鈥 at least not without checking with a vet. That is a LONG time for a growing puppy to go without food on a regular basis. Once in a while, to make a point is one thing, but that is not how I would choose to feed a growing animal.

Premium Member
Karen usually saves me time by typing that before I get here.

Our pack is the greatest retrainer for picky dogs. We do a lot of babysitting for puppies that were born here, but went on to their forever homes. Occasionally, one will have become a "picky eater". Our visitors get fed with the rest of our pack.

If they walk off, or even lift their head from their bowl, it Quickly gets DEVOURED. It doesn't take many meals to learn that mealtime is just that.

Metrowest, MA
Karen usually saves me time by typing that before I get here.

Our pack is the greatest retrainer for picky dogs. We do a lot of babysitting for puppies that were born here, but went on to their forever homes. Occasionally, one will have become a "picky eater". Our visitors get fed with the rest of our pack.

If they walk off, or even lift their head from their bowl, it Quickly gets DEVOURED. It doesn't take many meals to learn that mealtime is just that.
LOL! What!?!? Where did my dinner go?!?!:eek:

Way back when Kodi was a tyke and I went away for the first time when he was a puppy, he was going through a MILDLY picky phase. Not terrible, but not exactly gobbling up his food. He stayed with my friend Katey, who you met, because she came down with me when I got Kodi. She had him in an expen at meal time, so her big dogs couldn鈥榯 REALLY take his food, but just the concern that they MIGHT made him decide that he鈥檇 better snap to it! By the time I got home, there was no more picky puppy, and he never looked back! LOL! :ROFLMAO:

Owned by a Havallon
I don鈥檛 think it is a good idea to move 5 month old puppies to a once a day feeding schedule鈥 at least not without checking with a vet. That is a LONG time for a growing puppy to go without food on a regular basis. Once in a while, to make a point is one thing, but that is not how I would choose to feed a growing animal.
Good point. I was thinking this could be done to break the rejection habit. Once that happens then food could be offered more often. Dogs are creatures of habit. Sounds like she is only eating once per day anyway. I am not knowledgeable about the health aspects. However, I am very knowledgeable about 鈥渃reatures of habit鈥!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have written about this SO many times! Havanese puppies are smart. They are Master Manipulators! LOL!

Put it down quality food of YOUR CHOICE at a time of YOUR CHOICE. Pick it up after 10 minutes, whether she has eaten or not. Repeat at her next meal time. Do not offer it again, do not offer anything else, do not coax or cajole, and NO SNACKS! For a couple of days, skip other training, so you are not feeding training treats. THIS is more important training at the moment.She gets NOTHING but her regular meals right now. Assuming that she is healthy, and you have not suggested otherwise, heathy dogs WILL NOT starve themselves, even if they skip a few meals!

What is needed here is some tough love. She is manipulating you, and this breed is well known for it. Believe me, if you let this continue, it will only get worse.
Thank you!! Very insightful and will certainly implement it. She is healthy and my husband has said the same thing. I worry too much and might be projecting my anxiety on her so I will stop worrying and see what happens. Thanks!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welcome! Nala is adorable! There was a long thread on food just a couple of days ago that might be helpful鈥. I鈥檓 not currently having issues with my dog eating, but he went through a picky phase and the detailed advice in the thread below is awesome! Eventually we wound up switching charlie to just one meal a day, because he was inconsistent about whether or not he would it, and it worked for us. So he鈥檚 a dinner-only dog now, with a healthy treat in the morning so he doesn鈥檛 get reflux.

Thank you!!!! 馃槂

Registered
As Karen said - "master manipulators" :).

Just a small addition - when Perry was acting a bit 'eh' about his food, the most I would do is add water/ moisten in (I was already moistening his freeze dried food - so started adding water to his kibble). I didn't consider this giving in to the pickiness much as I felt it was a win win - since I felt like he wasn't drinking enough water as well - and he will still eat it dry if needed.

Metrowest, MA
As Karen said - "master manipulators" :).

Just a small addition - when Perry was acting a bit 'eh' about his food, the most I would do is add water/ moisten in (I was already moistening his freeze dried food - so started adding water to his kibble). I didn't consider this giving in to the pickiness much as I felt it was a win win - since I felt like he wasn't drinking enough water as well - and he will still eat it dry if needed.
Yeah, I don't think I'd consider that giving in! ;)

Metrowest, MA
I would actually consider this a necessity!
I don鈥檛 consider it a necessity. Lots of dogs drink plenty of water if they eat kibble. If my dogs鈥檚 poop lead me to feel that they were not getting enought moisture in their diet, I would certainly add water to their kibble. But my guys all get dry kibble for breakfast, and none of them have a problem with hard or dry poop. So I am sure they are getting enough water.

Owned by a Havallon
I don鈥檛 consider it a necessity. Lots of dogs drink plenty of water if they eat kibble. If my dogs鈥檚 poop lead me to feel that they were not getting enought moisture in their diet, I would certainly add water to their kibble. But my guys all get dry kibble for breakfast, and none of them have a problem with hard or dry poop. So I am sure they are getting enough water.
Well necessity is probably not the right word. I think it is a good idea though, especially with the kind that has those freeze dried pieces in it. Those definitely need hydration IMO. I am not sure I would know myself well enough if my dog was drinking the right amount of water to compensate for a dry diet.

Registered
Well necessity is probably not the right word. I think it is a good idea though, especially with the kind that has those freeze dried pieces in it. Those definitely need hydration IMO. I am not sure I would know myself well enough if my dog was drinking the right amount of water to compensate for a dry diet.
His freeze dried is definitely hydrated... the kibble is Fromm - so no freeze dried pieces in it.

I never noticed his poop being too hard / dry before that, it was just my personal feeling of never seeing him drink. OTOH, he's also not had any problems with the "extra" water in his kibble so it's working well for us at this point - plus it helps to dissolve some of his supplements so I don't have to figure out how to get him to take them :).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts