Havanese Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Melissa, Forums suggestion

I'm thinking it's getting close to the time to go to the "/forums.php" view. The number of people posting is getting larger every day and the "/index.php" is over full with new posts almost every time I log on now.

The horse forum that I post on has members in the 20,000s and there is no way to read all the new posts, even if I wanted to. I just skim over the forums that I'm interested in and go from there.

Here there have been several questions asked lately that have already been addressed in previous threads that would be visible if the poster had the /forums.php up in front of them.

Just a suggestion, but I'm used to a "forums" view. Anyway, I'm glad that it looks like your forum is doing some good. I hate the list format too. Pam is having all sorts of trouble with yahoo on the Judges Education Committee now. I tried to get them to switch to a forums format but the whole Havanese crowd seems to be stuck in a list mode. I've decided that I'm not participating on any list. If anyone wants my opinion on something they can find me here and if it ever gets going, the HCA forums.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Tom,
Since I know NOTHING about forums, I know I am missing the pleasure you find in them. But if I understand what you are saying though, I think I would agree with you, as I find it frustrating having to go through all the threads in order to know what new ones have been posted and thereby the only means of 'clearing' out the "new posts" link that are listed. I prefer the yahoo lists as the emails come directly to my mailbox. I can read what I want and delete the rest, or save what I might need to refer to later without a lot of hassle.

While this is another means of communication via the net, it is something that I am still trying to learn and understand.

What you are suggesting would be a "list" that we could choose what to read and what not to read?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Hi
I do not know what you are talking about exactly Tom .
I do know I enjoy his posts and your information . I hope you do not give up on this site .
I have learned a lot from you . You really seem to know your stuff .
Thank you for all your time that you have taken to educate us . Whenever I see your name I check out what you have to say .
Thank you for your help . Do not lose touch or give up on us . We need your input and sage advice .
Thank you

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I was not insulting Tom, he and I have had "conversations" in the past regarding forums vs email lists. He prefer's one I prefer the other, not an issue. Yes, Tom has great input and a valuable member of this forum.

·
Premium Member
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you click on the toolbar above on "Forums" it takes you to the "/forums.php" view which shows all the forums individually. That's pretty much the classic view for the many forums on just about any topic you can imagine. When you open a forum you see the first page of most recently posted to threads. Any that have been posted to since you were last on will be highlighted much like the first page that comes up now but it will be by forum instead a page of the newest posted to threads on all the forums. So for example rather than changing an ongoing conversation on a thread that was started about something else, you can quickly scan down the forum and for see that there has already been a topic on it. For example click on the Grooming forum and you will quickly see that there was another thread on "Puppy cuts". Any new questions can always be added to any old thread and the original thread can of course be read to maybe answer some questions or bring up ideas for new questions.

Kathy, One of my main complaints on the lists IS the emails. Pam is gone for a day and we have over 300 to do something with. Judges Education Committee has wasted the past two days trying to figure out why some on the list are not getting emails. Probably a Yahoo glitch but if they had taken advantage of the HCA Forums that Jane set up they would have gotten something done instead of worrying about whether everyone on the list was getting anything or not. The last I looked there were 74 Havanese lists. I'm sure there are more now. We get invited to join at least a couple every week-but don't. There are several which are a lot more active than the "Big List". I can of course go the yahoo.groups to read the different ones without the email housekeeping, but there is no logical organization of thread topics. When I go onto that, one page comes up but it's a page of responses to previously started threads that most often make no sense without reading the original start of the thread. The next step is to go backwards and try to find the start of the thread. I first click on "older" which only rearranges the same page in reverse order and then click on "older" again and more of the same on a previous. It just takes too much time. And good grief, Off Topic every Wednesday, these people must really have nothing better to do. On a Forums, I can scan over quickly any forums that I frequent, read any threads that interest me, and answer any that I want to. The rest I can skip. If a thread that I had previously skipped say a week ago was still going with lots of responses and views(something that you have no idea of on the lists) I can still decide later to read it and catch up if I want. I can check 4 or 5 entire different forums in the time it takes me to sort out one list.

The largest horse forums that I participate on has something like 28,000 members. http://chronicleforums.com/Forum/index.php
If that was a list instead of a forums it would be impossible.

You can get email notices of new threads on a forums if you want. I prefer to skim over quickly and decide which ones I would be interested in reading.

The version of this Forums that comes up when I open it shows any threads on any of the forums here that have been replied to since I was last on. That was fine when there was not much discussion, but now when I log on there is more than one page. This is not a major complaint from me but I can forsee it becoming more of a problem as the number of posts per day goes up. My suggestion was to just change it to the classic view while there are still not too many people to have to learn something new. But it's Melissa's Forums so of course it's her decision. I was just bringing up another viewpoint.

Don't worry, I'm not planning on giving this one up. My point here about the layout is really no big deal to me. I still prefer this many times over to all the Havanese lists put together. I thought from it's beginning that it would take a while to get going. I was hoping that the HCAForums would do the same thing but it was made too complicated and scared most people off to start with.

Whenever any young people I know, like our children, want to find out information about any new subject on the internet, they search for a Forum and can learn a lot of new information quickly. They have no patience with yahoo lists as I don't. Take this forums for example. A new person to Havanese can come here, look through the forums and learn a LOT quickly. Not possible on lists.

The reason I started this thread as a public post instead of PMing Melissa was that I thought maybe someone else might get something out of it.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Hi Tom. Glad you said you posted this for other people to see. I didn't respond last night because I thought maybe you didn't want any input.

Are you talking about the "Recent" area that comes up when you sign on? I have to say I didn't even notice that... . I even logged out and back in again to see it. I always go to the top and click on new posts.

Will changing over to the other format still give you the option to click on "New Posts?" It is helpful but if you are gone away for some time it might be crazy.

I did go into my User CP (top left), edit options, default thread, and changed it to "do not subscribe." The conversation picked up so much my email was bombarded. I have to say, I only joined in late December and there has been a lot more chatter. That's a good thing.:D :D

I am in the habit of looking at the cute little bulletin boards. (For people who don't know, scroll down to the bottom of you forum screen. There is a bulltin board in front of each topic that shows new post, etc) I think once people get used to knowing what the icons mean switching wouldn't be a problem. Most forums only have the icons. Although some blink when something new is posted.

Also, I know I had to start doing it too> Before you post click on Search and enter a key word. Sometimes the info is already there........ and you can read the thread and post there...........

Glad you are staying. You have sooooo much to offer.:D :D

·
Premium Member
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, it's just about the start screen. The forums view I was talking about is just one click away, but I was thinking about new people finding their way here and having to learn their way around as well as some questions getting asked that there were already threads about not that long ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts