Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday evening my dh and I returned from dinner and Mindy seemed fine. About 15 minutes later she was hobbling on 3 legs-holding her left back leg up. She wasn't running or jumping when it happened- she didn't bark or shriek- she just wouldn't put any weight on it.We thought we would see how she was in the morning rather than take her to the emergency vet which I don't like. Last night she didn't move at all on the bed- she won't walk on it at all this morning. I can't see anything and she doesn't act like she's in pain when I palpate her leg. She's never had any problems with limping before. I'll take her to the vet this morning and see what they say. :(

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Oh Jocelyn, I am so sorry!! Poor Mindy. I sure hope it isnt anything major. Maybe she just has a little something stuck in her foot pad and it hurts to stand on it?
Please let us know how she makes out .

Sending good vibes.........

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
Perhaps something happened when you were out and the reaction didn't set in for a little while. I'll be praying for a simple solution for Mindy. Sending healing your way.

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
(((Mindy))) Jocelyn I hope she is better this morning

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I hope your little Mindy has nothing wrong. My girl does that when she doesn't want to play anymore and Yogi keeps grapping that leg. The first time I rushed her to the Vet, now I know it is nothing, first time it scared me.

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Jocelyn, I hope mindy is fine. But be sure to ask the vet about tick borne? And treating with doxycycline. Thinking of your both this morning.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thank you for your concern!!
we are back from the vet. She feels it is a partial tear of her ACL- not good news :(
Mindy is on metacam and tramadol and the vet wants to see her back on Tuesday for xrays. She checked her patella which was fine. She wants to get her more comfortable with meds before manipulating her for the xrays. I also have to restrict her activity for the next 2 weeks (at least) and crate her when I can't be there to supervise.
Not easy for a dog that likes to jump and play!! Mindy is also a little overweight which doesn't help either- her not feeling well has not affected her appetite (LOL)- she still wants to eat everything in sight!!

·
Evelyn
4,652 Posts
Aww....poor thing. How old is she?? it's going to be hard to restrict her activity once those meds kick in! ( Funny...I've been taking tramadol for a while now.. before and after my hip surgery.)

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I hope all the meds and restrictions the vet gave will work so no surgery will be needed. Poor little Mindy and you! Hope to hear good news soon.

·
Registered
500 Posts
At least they know what it is and how to treat it...that's always good news...I think it would be hard to restrict them...I know we do what we have to but I couldn't even imagine how I would begin to restrict my two if I needed to lol.....appetite is always a good sign! Hope you get good news on Tuesday!

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
I am sorry Jocelyn, I know that was not what you were hoping to hear. But you are a wonderful Mommy and will do what is best for that sweet girl - and hopefully she will be good as new once you guys decide how to proceed!!!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
thank you for your concern!!
we are back from the vet. She feels it is a partial tear of her ACL- not good news :(
Mindy is on metacam and tramadol and the vet wants to see her back on Tuesday for xrays. She checked her patella which was fine. She wants to get her more comfortable with meds before manipulating her for the xrays. I also have to restrict her activity for the next 2 weeks (at least) and crate her when I can't be there to supervise.
Not easy for a dog that likes to jump and play!! Mindy is also a little overweight which doesn't help either- her not feeling well has not affected her appetite (LOL)- she still wants to eat everything in sight!!
That is exactly what I thought when I read your post - Clover managed to demolish both of his (not partial tears, but completely snapped them!).

Please be VERY strict with her activity for at least this two week period, if not closer to 4 weeks or longer. No running, no jumping onto the sofa. A partial tear can easily turn into a larger or full tear that will require surgery. Nip it in the bud and let it heal now instead. It is SO hard to keep them quiet but better now than post-op.

Also, icing it can make her feel more comfortable, too. Clover LOVED this, it was pretty funny to watch him relax in my lap.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Sorry to hear this news, I know you will do your best to restrict her activity. I hope it heals and no surgery is required.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts