Havanese Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 11 year old Havanese (Bolt) was diagnosed with heart disease (Mitral Valve dysfunction). He is on 3 meds taking them twice per day. I'm just wondering how common this heart disease is for other Havanese dogs? I love the breed so much, and am thinking about whether I want to get another.
Thank you!
Jeri

·
Registered
284 Posts
My 11 year old Havanese (Bolt) was diagnosed with heart disease (Mitral Valve dysfunction). He is on 3 meds taking them twice per day. I'm just wondering how common this heart disease is for other Havanese dogs? I love the breed so much, and am thinking about whether I want to get another.
Thank you!
Jeri
So sorry to hear about the diagnosis 😞 Our Charlie had a murmur detected just after his 8th birthday, and was diagnosed with early mitral valve disorder in an echocardiogram soon after. He will need them yearly to determine if there’s any effects- so far, his first follow up didn’t show any enlargement which is great, and his lungs are fine. If we do see enlargement, there is a med they can give to delay Congestive Heart Failure… our hope is of course that the progress will be slow enough to where the CHF never becomes a problem for him. My understanding is that it’s not uncommon in Havanese, but I’m not sure about prevalence compared to other breeds. I do know that a lot of breeders do cardiac testing on their dogs, and can probably tell you if any of the dogs in their lines have had CHF, though one of the breeders on here probably knows much more about the level to which genetics play in!

·
Metrowest, MA
28,949 Posts
It is not as common as in some breeds, but unfortunately, it HAS become more common in recent years. Still NOTHING like we see in, for instance, Cavaliers.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
I think valvular disease is common in some toy breeds but not necessarily Havanese. Boo is nearly 19 years old, and has no signs of heart, kidney or lung disease. However, my toy poodle had a Stage V heart murmur as well valvular disease. He treated with a cardiologist for a number of years. Still, he lived until 17, and his cause of death was kidney disease not heart disease.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Thank you!
Jeri
My 14 yo Havanese died of CHF in February and I had a Bichon die of it years ago at 15. It’s great you are aware of this early and can now treat and monitor him. I’m curious if Bolt (love the name) was on a grain free diet? I keep reading about a possible connection. I fed our Havanese grain free for a short time when he was young. The reports scared me so I switched to a grain diet. I guess I’ll never know the cause.

·
Metrowest, MA
28,949 Posts
My 14 yo Havanese died of CHF in February and I had a Bichon die of it years ago at 15. It’s great you are aware of this early and can now treat and monitor him. I’m curious if Bolt (love the name) was on a grain free diet? I keep reading about a possible connection. I fed our Havanese grain free for a short time when he was young. The reports scared me so I switched to a grain diet. I guess I’ll never know the cause.
Grain free diets are not implicated in mitral valve problems. They have been implicated in dilated cardiomyopathy. They are not related problems.

Reactions: PinkDaisies
1 - 7 of 7 Posts